Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Help a Newbie: General Updating To-Do List

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 12:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help a Newbie: General Updating To-Do List

Hi,

I just purchased an '86 4x4 pickup and want to update everything that may potentially be a larger issue for a 30-year old truck. The motor seems solid, with a few updates such as plug wires, etc.

However, the suspension feels spent, so I'm assuming it hasn't had much TLC over the years. I want to ensure that I'm not riding in a death trap, but I'm far from a mechanic, so just need some guidance on where to begin. Perhaps, what to look for? I'm hearing some loud pops/ screeching at sharp turns and low speeds. Assuming the balls joints need updating from what I could find here.

Is there a general priority list that I could run down? Appreciate all of the advice anyone can provide!
Old 01-28-2016, 12:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm a newbie too, but here's where I start when I want to know something!
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/toyota-truck-4runner/775780-toyota-bible-faq-2-0-a.html
Old 01-28-2016, 12:28 PM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
Start here: http://web.archive.org/web/201208120...buchanan/93fsm

Run through all the items in the maintenance schedule. In your case, follow the links to suspension, and run the tests on the ball joints.

Originally Posted by bigbog
... However, the suspension feels spent, so I'm assuming it hasn't had much TLC over the years. I want to ensure that I'm not riding in a death trap, but I'm far from a mechanic,
If you're willing to use "deathtrap" and "far from a mechanic" in the same sentence, you should consider dropping a few bucks on someone who REALLY is a mechanic. He doesn't have to do the work (replacing ball joints isn't that tough), but you'll feel better having someone tell you where you've GOT to start.
Old 01-28-2016, 02:45 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

I always start at the bottom and work up.
Old 01-28-2016, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by scope103

If you're willing to use "deathtrap" and "far from a mechanic" in the same sentence, you should consider dropping a few bucks on someone who REALLY is a mechanic.
I think I may have found my new signature
Old 01-29-2016, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by scope103
Start here: http://web.archive.org/web/201208120...buchanan/93fsm

Run through all the items in the maintenance schedule. In your case, follow the links to suspension, and run the tests on the ball joints.

If you're willing to use "deathtrap" and "far from a mechanic" in the same sentence, you should consider dropping a few bucks on someone who REALLY is a mechanic. He doesn't have to do the work (replacing ball joints isn't that tough), but you'll feel better having someone tell you where you've GOT to start.
I dunno man, if there is a vehicle to learn to work on, it's an older toyota pickup, doesn't really get much easier than that.

Like everyone else mentioned, look through the service manual and just start checking things off. If you don't have any history on the timing chain, that's a big one to cross off in the not so distant future, otherwise, do what you can afford, track everything so you can start doing all of this stuff on the regular.

Oh and while you're underneath looking at the suspension, might be a good time to invest an a grease pump and lube up all the points along the driveline. Do some digging and make sure you use the correct grease since there seems to be much debate. May also want to check the rear end while under there as well.

Good luck!
Old 01-30-2016, 03:57 AM

Received 805 Likes on 528 Posts
Originally Posted by bigbog
Hi,

I just purchased an '86 4x4 pickup and want to update everything that may potentially be a larger issue for a 30-year old truck. The motor seems solid, with a few updates such as plug wires, etc.

However, the suspension feels spent, so I'm assuming it hasn't had much TLC over the years. I want to ensure that I'm not riding in a death trap, but I'm far from a mechanic, so just need some guidance on where to begin. Perhaps, what to look for? I'm hearing some loud pops/ screeching at sharp turns and low speeds. Assuming the balls joints need updating from what I could find here.

Is there a general priority list that I could run down? Appreciate all of the advice anyone can provide!
the screeching is more likely to be the steering stops. they had a plastic cover from the factory, but wear off over time. a dab of chassis grease on the ends, and then testing will either confirm that the stops are the noise source, or indicate a need to dig deeper.

wally