Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Help needed in the UK on a 3.0 Diesel 4wd problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 04:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help needed in the UK on a 3.0 Diesel 4wd problem

OK - so I've noticed today that the 2.4 and the 3.0 seem to have rather different setups for 4wd, the 2,4 has a separate vacuum tank under the RHS wheel arch, the 3.0 doesn't and seems to take it from what I can only assume due to lack of knowledge, is something to do with the brakes????? The big round thing at the back of the RHS engine bay, that is common between the 2.4 and 3.0

Now - I've checked all the pipes and they are all connected, and no holes (apart from the ones at either end) but at the back of the engine bay on the 3.0 and a little further forward on the 2.4 is a small black thing that looks like a squashed cylinder. Now, the 2.4 I can trace the pipe from the alternator out to the vacuum pump, then across the engine to this little black cylinder - the 3.0 comes from what I think is a vacuum tank for the brakes and 4wd, along the engine and out at the back near the bulkhead and into this cylinder.

What I need to know from someone with a 3.0 is how the pipes are connected from into the little black cylinder that I assume the previous owner thought was the EGR as one of the pipes had been capped, so in order to reconnect and test - can anyone tell me:

What the big thing is on the RHS (from the inside so LHS as you are standing in front of the truck) and how the pipes should all run.
What the little black cylinder is, and how the pipes should connect to this (one has a 't' joint in, so one pipe in, two pipes out)

If I can work this out, there is a chance the 4wd will be working by the end of the day, as I am still just getting lots of clicks from the relay with the engine running and the 4wd switch in on the transfer lever.

I also took the breather cap off the front diff to see if it was blocked, and disconnected, cleaned out then reconnected to cable on the front of the diff

HELP - Please - I want to go to Avon Dassett tomorrow, and then on to Wales, and other trips - but can't get the 4wd to come on........

TIA
Old 01-19-2008, 05:33 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the big black round thing is your master brake cylinder. my recommendation is go to hiluxsurf.co.uk it is another forum website like this but more for the Surf Diesel.

Last edited by Belize Off Road Team; 04-07-2008 at 06:05 AM.
Old 01-19-2008, 05:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No diesels here in the US but, it appears you have ADD. Have you looked at the front diff to see if there is a actuator, with vacuum lines (could also be electric) on the front housing? If you do have pneumatic ADD, join the majority. It relies on a vacuum tank to do the initial engagement and all that controlled by electricals. Can you send us some pics? Fuses is first, checking the actuator is next, then all the connections at the transfer case (electricals) and the ADD manifold under the hood. Finally, the vacuum tank.

Thats all I can suggest at the moment.
Cheers
Old 04-07-2008, 05:58 AM

OK - the 3.0 has no vacuum tank, it's all done by the brake servo.

I've checked the VSVs by the NSF wing, the VSVs at the back of the block (which are nothing to do with it, but one was broken so I changed it), the transfer connectors are all there, all vacuum pipes are on, and don't have splits anywhere, the fuses are all OK, so I guess I now have to remove the actuator on the front diff and see what happens.....

I've even changed the 4WD ECU and the relay under the dash.....

Anything else I should try before the matches come out?
Old 04-07-2008, 07:40 AM
Contributing Member

Lets get this straight...
you are shifting the transfer case lever to 4hi and the 4wd idiot light comes on but you are'nt getting front axle engagement is this right?
If this is the case it sounds like you may have a vacuum problem in the front diff. I had a similar problem except the opposite my front axle would not disengage [no biggy really just killed fuel econ.].
I can't say I'm very familiar with the diesel systems we don't get them over here [unfortunately]...
x2 on the www.hiluxsurf.co.uk link the folks there are friendly and know their stuff too.
Sorry I could'nt be more helpful
Old 04-07-2008, 12:14 PM

I am having a simirlier issue with my 92 ExCab automatic, 3.0. I did not have 4wd also. The trans was replaced before I bought the truck. I adjusted the shifter and now it goes into 4wd, but the light is not coming on. I checked the bulb and its good. The front drive axel is locked into place. the vacuum pumps(blue and brown) are working but I think something is backwards. Do you have an idea to check next?