86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

HELP needed badly...wiring harness

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 03:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP needed badly...wiring harness

So i will keep it short. Essentially i've searched all over and am trying to figure out what all to do with my 89 pickup.

I got the car about 4-5 months ago and it has been in the shopt for the last 3 or so with bad wiring. The mechanic said it was because a Ford alarm was spliced all into the wiring harness and eventually fried everything.

Leaving me here. I have a truck that has a lot of brand new stuff on it and a rebuilt motor and new trans. It's a 3.0 and i am unable to get it running without a new wiring harness as it was completely fried.

My questions are these:

How do i go about finding a wiring harness *enging wiring harness i believe and ecu (still waiting on a list of part numbers needed)?

Would i be better off ditching the 3vze at this point and going with something else?

I am just wanting to get my truck back on the road as my Dad found it for me and made the trip to get it with me, it has quite a bit of sentimental value to me and I can't imagine giving it up or getting rid of it. Please help, as I am feeling pretty down and just want to know the next steps to take to getting my yota back on the dirt. Thanks guys

-Doug
Old 09-06-2014, 04:00 PM

I know junkyards are the best bet for the harness but is there another more reliable/quicker way to going about getting one? or should i just swap a different motor in?

My problem is i live in the mountains in a small town in california with very few shops around. TIA
Old 09-06-2014, 04:21 PM

Received 603 Likes on 441 Posts
Swapping a different engine in won't help with your wiring troubles any, and would probably make them worse.
You're just gonna have to find a correct year wreck/parts truck truck that has the stuff you need.
Posting the year/engine/transmission details of your truck, and what you need might help you to connect with someone who can help.
Old 09-06-2014, 06:07 PM

My truck is in 1989 I do not have it in my possession right now but I can get whatever other information is needed. I know for sure there is a parts list from the mechanic of all the parts including their original part numbers that I need.

My thought about swapping a new engine in would not be the same motor more along the lines of a newer Toyota Motor but if that's going to be more hassle than trying to just find the original parts that I need for what I currently have I would rather do whatever is the easiest option at this point I really need to get my truck back on the road
Old 09-07-2014, 01:31 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

How did this all start just what happened??

I have found most shops can be real Clueless when it comes to wiring.

Unless they are brand specific and that is all they do.

If they don`t have the EWD for your truck the most likely move would be to replace the harness

Just what is wrong with your wiring harness??That did not cause the whole Truck to be a mass of melted metal

If there was a Major current draw it should have opened the fusible link or links

If your paying to have this work done it is going to get very expensive

Should be quite a few of this year around unless they went to the crusher as a Yard is the only way post on the wanted section here and other Toyota Forums.

Perhaps still in dealer Stock with Vin in hand check with a local dealer or online.

You have 3 choices repair the truck or sell it like it sits part out the new parts knowing your going to lose money or it is going to cost money either way you decide.
Old 09-07-2014, 07:54 AM

Can we see the list of parts he's recommending ? and what is your location? got any pictures of the damaged wiring? How did this happen? Why did you take it to the mechanic? I guess maybe you should give is the "long" version of the story.

What I would do. (based on the limited amount of info so far)

Get the truck home to my house. Determine if both dash and engine harness are needed. Search junk yards, call around, search car-part.com find all the harnesses. After acquiring the harnesses and ECM and all. Strip the truck to access the harnesses. Pull the existing harness out and make notes of where everything goes and how it's routed. Install replacement harness. Install everything back into truck. Check it out for proper operation. This is one bugger of a job. As you can see this is very labor and time consuming, and as stated above it would be cost prohibitive to have someone else do it for you. So if you can't do it yourself, then basically, your truck is going to be one expensive item to have fixed.

So, the reasonable thing to do to save money is sell the truck and find another one. As mentioned above, keep any high dollar parts you feel you would need.

You could sell the engine outright pretty easily, but who is going to pull it? Are you able to do work on your own truck? Do you have a shop or garage, you're in the mountains so it's gonna get cold soon.

There are harnesses on ebay too.

Last edited by ditypup; 09-07-2014 at 09:14 AM.
Old 09-07-2014, 10:45 AM

It started when my truck died going up a grade. After i had it towed to the mechanic and many weeks later he said it had no fuel pressure and believes the alarm fried the fuel pump. He replaced that and said he could get it running but it would then die

He then told me the ignition module was fried and melted and he sent it to the toyota dealer where a tech there said the wiring harness and computer were fried and needed to be replaced.

My issues are if i get a new car i could potentially trailer this after i move outta this town. Selling the truck here would be hard (small mountain town)

It seems the best option for me is to find someone to do a partial trade with. Maybe someone who has the means to fix my truck. Ideally id trade mine plus cash for a working rig. Thanks for all the help. This is a major headache indeed
Old 09-07-2014, 10:52 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

I feel sorry for you Hard to say if your being had or not.

Good luck
Old 09-07-2014, 12:15 PM

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts
I believe there is a thread over on pirate4x4 on Toyota ecu's and what years are compatible.

Start here for part numbers
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/toyot...atibility.html

Hope this helps
Old 09-08-2014, 03:53 AM

here's a cheap source for all the parts you need (or as an example)

http://westslope.craigslist.org/pts/4617990601.html
Old 09-08-2014, 06:50 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a hard time believing the entire harness and ECU is fried. I think it's more likely that the shop doesn't know how to troubleshoot electrical issues and are just going through the "replace everything" approach

So what exactly was this ford module that was spliced in. Is it an alarm or an immobilizer?
Was this something you put in?

Alarms don't really splice into existing harnesses that much. Immobilizers generally splice into three circuits. starter, fuel pump, and sometimes ecu. Either way it shouldn't be that hard to remove it and return the harness back to original. This will cost you big cash at a shop. My advice is to buy a multimeter and learn up on wiring.

My guess is someone used a crimp on connector (which are crap) and it finally corroded. If you do start working on the harness make sure you use solder and shrink wrap.
Old 09-10-2014, 09:29 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Also, Is this a 4 or a 6 cyl?
If it's a 22RE you can probably get it to run by jumping the FP and B+ pins in the test connector under the hood.