Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Help with my 22re engine please?? details inside.

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 09:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with my 22re engine please?? details inside.

My buddy has a 84 toyota with a 22re engine. it has been leaking a little oil here and there. and it started leaking out of the PCV Valve. we put a new one in and it stopped leaking from up there. Then it has had a few radiator leaks we fixed them all. and then driving home the other night we went up a big hill. Going up the hill it starting losing power slower and slower.

The time before starting it. white smoke out of the exhaust and it took a little to start it. and it sounded like no compression in the top end.

So after losing power fully and not being able to move or start it.

We towed it up the hill with my truck and took it to the house. this morning we tried to start it and it had no compression in the top end. checked all the sparks and battery wires to make sure it was nothing there.

It sounds like no compression in the top end and the timing belt either snapped or came off. Anyone have any idea? i havent taken the top end off to look at it yet just want some ideas.

One main idea of mine is blown head. from white smoke and being hard to start. but it is a very clean looking engine and the guy he got it from said he rebuilt it and put it in about 30,000 miles ago.
Old 10-13-2008, 09:28 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
sounds like a blown head gasket.. how are the spark plugs? color/texture of the oil? coolant loss?
if the plugs are kind of brownish white burnt looking thats a sign
also if your oil looks like a chocolate milkshake and your loosing coolant
Old 10-13-2008, 09:28 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Its not the timing chain, as the engine ceases to work instantaneously when that breaks. Sounds like a headgasket to me. You're going to have to pull the head.
Old 10-13-2008, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by Matt16
Its not the timing chain, as the engine ceases to work instantaneously when that breaks. Sounds like a headgasket to me. You're going to have to pull the head.
Yeah hes taking it to a local shop tomorrow just to look it through. im hoping something minor. but whats minor on a truck?? lol

Im thinking blown head too but im hoping not. because he just got this damn thing.

If anything were trading it in and getting him a 85. Year older. hes growing up. lol
Old 10-13-2008, 09:37 PM

this doesnt really relate to the topic but are you sure its an 84?
efi didnt start till 85 so its either had a conversion or motor swap
Old 10-13-2008, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by algranger
this doesnt really relate to the topic but are you sure its an 84?
efi didnt start till 85 so its either had a conversion or motor swap
LoL yeah ive been with the 22r and 22re it had a motor swap the guy said. fully rebuilt and put in. but the guy doesnt know to much about trucks and said he did it himself. and its not my truck its my buddys. im pretty sure its a blown head.

Oh and i forgot to mention after it ceasing and losing all its power. the exhaust manifold was burning red hot. And it was at night the manifold lit up the whole hood. burning red color.
Old 10-13-2008, 09:42 PM

wow sounds like it may have overheated a little lol
the guy that sold it to your bud sounds kinda sketchy
Old 10-13-2008, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by algranger
wow sounds like it may have overheated a little lol
the guy that sold it to your bud sounds kinda sketchy
im going to meet that guy and flip out because im a teenager at 18 and know how to atleast put wires back together. i had to put his 4x4 plug from his trany in and rewire all his battery and alot of rewiring on his cd player too.

i cant wait untill tomorrow anger time.!!

Were making a deal for 500 for the whole truck though. Not a bad deal 84 nice looking yota.
Old 10-13-2008, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by Countryhick
im going to meet that guy and flip out because im a teenager at 18 and know how to atleast put wires back together. i had to put his 4x4 plug from his trany in and rewire all his battery and alot of rewiring on his cd player too.

i cant wait untill tomorrow anger time.!!

Were making a deal for 500 for the whole truck though. Not a bad deal 84 nice looking yota.
Keep a cool head, works better every time. Maybe he burned a valve, I would think that would also cause the manifold to glow as the gases are burning and unconfined- thus no power and extremely hot manifold (as there is no cooling for the manifold like there is in the head).

What most likely happened was that the valve lash with tightened up to quite it down to sell it, and as a result, exhaust gases where able to go past the non-quite-closed valve, burning the valve.

Last edited by Matt16; 10-13-2008 at 10:43 PM.
Old 10-13-2008, 10:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The timing chain can cause issues by grinding against the water passages causing leaks and worse so it could still be a partial issue here but it sounds like its worse than just this.

Also
Cant return a vehicle once you bought it aseptically from craigslist so stay calm. Who knows if he was even aware of the pending outcome even if he was your buddy bought it!
Old 10-13-2008, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by fillsrunner4
The timing chain can cause issues by grinding against the water passages causing leaks and worse so it could still be a partial issue here but it sounds like its worse than just this.

Also
Cant return a vehicle once you bought it aseptically from craigslist so stay calm. Who knows if he was even aware of the pending outcome even if he was your buddy bought it!
I've never heard of a loss of power just from a timing chain grinding. That seems to be the big problem.
Old 10-13-2008, 11:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I've never heard of a loss of power just from a timing chain grinding. That seems to be the big problem.
It grinds through the water passages not just it "grinding" it can do a lot of damage if not caught in time! (COOLANT LOSS = NO Good and leads to much more damage like blown HG)

Last edited by fillsrunner4; 10-13-2008 at 11:15 PM.
Old 10-14-2008, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by fillsrunner4
It grinds through the water passages not just it "grinding" it can do a lot of damage if not caught in time! (COOLANT LOSS = NO Good and leads to much more damage like blown HG)
I got you the first time. But the timing chains grinding though the cover and mixing oil and coolant isn't going to cause the power to drop off slowly, instead you're going to hear awful noises and the engine is going to start shaking as the bottom end self-destructs due to lubrication failure (milkshake oil). Either one of two things is going to happen at this point. The timing chain is going to break after is chainsaw impression, or the bottom end will seize and you'll throw a rod. Up until the catastrophic failure, you'll have almost full power (theoretically, the cam lobes could be ground off by the tappets due to lubrication failure as well, but I think the other stuff would happen first.

Last edited by Matt16; 10-14-2008 at 12:11 AM.