Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Help me narrow my search for tires...

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 10:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help me narrow my search for tires...

Hey guys... I am going to be in the market for some new tires..
I currently have 31' 10.50R15 Dueler AT (Not the revos) i have very little to compare these too as im new to off roading i havent had any problems with them.. only place I really tested them has been sand... lots and lots of sand.. I never once got stuck I did however have a lot of tire spin in the really loose stuff.. but they always kept kreeping till they got on top of the sand. this winter i plan to do a few mods to make my truck more trail friendly.. rear locked 2 inch lift wheels and tires to start.

Well ive looked and looked and there are just a TON of tires to choose from... from... I know ill do mostly street driving. but i may just keep the 31's and stock rims for that.. i know the AT should be able to handle what i will throw at them im a young man and well Looks get the better of me so i want something more agressive.. so ive pretty much decided on a Mud Terrain. well i think thr are some tires that arnt classified as a MUD terrain but are more agressive then AT Maximum traction tires or something... well here is my list of tires ive bases mostly on looks... (please dont hurt me i know looks mean little) I want help to narrow my search down.

I am looking for is:

- TREADLIFE: mow I know cant expect 50K like i can from some AT but something that will last as long as possible cuz lets face it u cant run a MT down to nothing and still expect to go off road. and i am on a tight budget going back to school so i dont got money to throw at tires every 10K which only take me a few months to get.

- Road noise: now this isnt GREATLY important to MYSELF as my truck is already loud on the road and i just turn up the music. but its a plus is all

- performance: I want a tire that will take sand, rivebanks, light rocks, mud, anything i can possible encounter on a trail in the Sierras of california. basicly i dont want my tired to be the reason i get stuck or need a pull.

-Price: I am willing to pay for quality.. but price will play a factor in my choice if it doesnt mean im sacraficing too much to save 100 bucks.

ON TO THE TIRES!!!!!

COOPER STT

these tires look great and from what i can tell get good reviews... this is the tire i have first on my list unless someone can talk me out of it..even tho im not looking forward to paying 220 a tire but i guess i should expect that going to a 33 12.50...

Yokohama Geolander MT

These also look great im not sure how they are on treadlife. they cost a lil more then the STT but its a yokohama i can imagine these are a good tire.

Goodyear Wrangler MT/R

This is a no brainer good tire for rocks.. i heard they leave a lot to be desired in mud but dont know much else about them.. these seem to be a standard MT tho...

Firestone Destination MT

These look ok my dad almost got them for his avalanche. but settled for AT heard they do alright on the trail

Toyo Open Country MT
heard these are a good street MT but not sure how they do off road

ProComp X-Terrain.
these look great and have seen them on 4runners on 4x4 wire and looks like they hold their own but im sure cost an arm and a leg cuz they have Procomp on the side.

but well like i said I want the best street MT without giving too much off road. noise isnt much of an issue more then treadlife.

So if you guys could tell me which of these would work great for what i need or suggest another tire... SORRY i just have my heart set on a MT they look wicked sick on rigs.. not just the street queest brand new trucks that will never see a spec of dirt but the true rigs with the mild lifts full body armor lights lockers mmmm makes me drool LOL.]

LAST QUESTION! im not sure if any of these tires come in a 33/10.50 rather then a 33/12.50 but if they do would i see much better MPG with them over the 12.50 or is it so small the extra traction of the wider tire would be better?
Old 10-11-2007, 10:43 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Go for the Coopers!
Old 10-12-2007, 12:29 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Auto tranny? Stick with the stock size (31) or you'll be very sorry. Cooper. WalMart also sells a Kelly generic called the Super Sport that's not terrible.
Old 10-12-2007, 01:52 AM
Contributing Member

good luck. i am in the same boat as you are..
Old 10-12-2007, 04:33 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
goodluck finding a quiet m/t tire.

Personally i'd recommend BFG a/t's. They have good traction, look fairly agressive, are way quieter than any m/t out there, and have an awesome treadlife. They're also tough as nails.

When I bought my truck the drivers side rear tire was low. I filled it up, and a month later it was down about 12 psi. I noticed a plug on it, and figured it was leaking. Kept filling it up for another 3 months, and eventually took it to a shop to get the plug replaced with a better one, and to have all 4 tires balanced as well as the truck aligned. They tested the leaking tire, and found the plug was leaking, there was a nail in it, and another small leak where the object hadn't stuck. I had been driving around with 3 leaks in the tire since I bought the truck! I was quite impressed with the tires ability to stand up to multiple punctures, and only need a little air from time to time.
Old 10-12-2007, 04:43 AM

no x terrains...they're loud and rough...i'm ditching mine for some BFG MTs...I've also had MTRs....and i loved them.
Old 10-12-2007, 05:31 AM

I run the Toyo MT and I am darn picky on tires. I had the BFG's and they didn't run as smooth. Look at how the Toyo's are built. Something like 12 plies. Their smooth on the road and although I don't like mud...have gone in the snow and have had excellent traction. My buddy who has a Landcruiser has them as well and likes them. Mine are 305/16's. I've got 488 gears and an automatic and didn't really notice a lot from the stock 31's. They cruise down the freeway smooth and there isn't much road noise, or I should say not as much at the BFG's. But I didn't have the AT's so I can't give my opinion. For what it's worth...my vote would be for the Toyo's. If it were a car....Yoko.....
Old 10-12-2007, 05:32 AM

I have been extremely happy with my Goodyear MTRs.
Old 10-12-2007, 06:42 AM
Contributing Member

Nitto's bang for the buck is hard to beat and have great wet weather manners.
Old 10-12-2007, 07:06 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I second the Nitto Terra Grapplers and picked them based upon recommendations from T4R members-and have not been disappointed. They have good stiff sidewalls and the road noise is minimal.

Also regarding the ProComps-I believe it is fairly common knowledge those are built by Cooper-and for a deal the 4WD Parts stores run their "Buy 3 and get 1 free" sale from time to time. I believe it is still underway now. Also they have a 20% off any purchase over $100 sale that they extended from Sept 30th.

edit: The free shipping on the Buy 3 get 1 tire free is extended until Monday 10/15

the sale Buy 3 get 1 free extended until October 31st.

Last edited by Ron Helmuth; 10-12-2007 at 08:15 AM. Reason: received email from 4WD parts just this AM
Old 10-12-2007, 08:11 AM

the Cooper STT and the Toyo open country trads do look a lot alike. the cooper has more sidewall to it tho. everyone says the toyo is great on the road shouldnt the cooper be pretty close?
Old 10-12-2007, 08:56 AM

BFG M/T's.........hands down
Old 10-12-2007, 09:14 AM

All Procomp tires are on sale this month but 3 get 4th free.

Toyo: Seen em work great on the trail. Very good tire according to the owner but he's only had them a short time. We are going to go a trail ride that has water crossings and mud so I'll see how his truck does in the mud.

MTR: I have the Goodyear's and love them. Noise is an issue once you get to the larger sizes due to the voids increasing in size. Mine have worn some since they were new and are wearing very nice. I think I'll get about 40K miles out of them. They ride smooth and have been awesome in the sand, rocks, mud, and on the trail.
Old 10-12-2007, 09:15 AM

I have not heard good things about the Geolander.

BFG has a new tread pattern on their MT so I don't know what that will be like.
Old 10-12-2007, 09:31 AM

ok well ive narrowed it down to the cooper STT, Toyo Open country MY, and the Goodyear MT/R. i know the toyo and good year have proven themselves off road with the goodyear probably having a small edge off road except in mud while the toyo from what ive read seems to be the best on road MT out right now. the cooper seems to have reliable off road preformance but heard it has to be aired down a TON to get it. which might be a problem for me as i have no on board air yet and no power tank. if im solo i wont be able to get all ic an out of these tires.

anyone know how the coopers are on the road compared to these other two?
Old 10-12-2007, 09:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MMA_Alex
goodluck finding a quiet m/t tire.

Personally i'd recommend BFG a/t's. They have good traction, look fairly agressive, are way quieter than any m/t out there, and have an awesome treadlife. They're also tough as nails.

BFG A/Ts are awesome tires, but if you dont keep up on rotations and balance, they wear out really quickly, and really weird too. my shop generally reccomends rotation every 3000 miles and balance every 6000 miles for BFG A/Ts. other tires you can get away with slipping on rotations and balancing a little bit, but BFG will make you sorry if you dont keep up. in my opinion theyre one of the best A/T.
Old 10-12-2007, 09:41 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
The Cooper STTs are very similar to my Dick Cepek Mountaincats, they are made in the Cooper molds as well as Pro Comps tires.

If you have a Les Schwab Tire Center near you, they carry them.

https://www.yotatech.com/50585119-post154.html

They ride pretty good and have a nice howl to them.
Old 12-28-2007, 01:27 PM

id go for the destinations ive got them on my runner and they do really good on the mud and trails they clear very good. BUT when its been raining a few red lights have snuck up on me and ive slid into the middle of some intersections 2 times but just be aware and you shouldnt have any probs. i would get them again if they made them in 35s. but im looking at the geolander mts now.
Old 12-28-2007, 01:30 PM

oh and the mt/r ive heard is suppose to be one of the more quieter mud tires but i havent personally witnessed that just heard from other people. good luck
Old 12-28-2007, 04:38 PM

Nitto's don't come in 31's that I've been able to find. Add Interco TrXus MT's to your list. Great tires, I have run a used set for the last year and a half and have had nothing but good luck with them, and I have a new set on the way right now. Pretty cheap too.

Quick Reply: Help me narrow my search for tires...