86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Help me Figure this out front sus Spending spree

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2013, 07:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help me Figure this out front sus Spending spree

Well I am at a point where I want to replace my front suspension. I have too much slop at the wheel, right side inner tire always eats up super fast. Upper ball joints creak and pop under full lock occasionally and sometimes just pulling into a parking lot at a different grade.

Anyway I've already replaced the lower ball joints last year. I am somewhat out of the loop and at this point of my day of internet shopping for the better half, tired.

I'm curious where you bought em', and what brand upper ball joints. My new lower balls (heh) are 777.

Have any of you guys just bought new suspension arms with the rubber already in them? I want to by them open the box and hopefully have already taken my truck apart to just swap em.

Next steering. What should I buy? what have you done? I want a new truck feel. Shes old, beat a little, and tired around all four corners, so I need to rubber and cant phatom spending $650 plus on rubber wo getting the front in order.
Old 11-29-2013, 07:27 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
tie rod ends, idler arm, check your steering box too(they are adjustable)...i just replaced my IFS box and my steering feels much better
Old 11-30-2013, 07:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks man. Where did you buy your parts.

I'd like to buy quality parts at the best price (don't we all). I'm definitely getting tie rod ends, upper ball joints. I already replaced my idler arm. I'm interested in buying new or reconditioned A arms that have new rubber.
Old 11-30-2013, 08:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am grown custom to using a brand called AutoExtra.. They come from a privately owned parts store here in WV. They hold a outstanding warranty and I can just swap them out in store if needed.

Not trying to tell you what to do but you should change all four Balljoints at the same time. Even if the lowers are only a year old I'd still recommend you changing them. But to tune up the steering and suspension then you need to replace the following things to obtain the new truck feel.

Upper Balljoints
Lower Balljoints
Idler arm
Pitman arm
Inner TieRods
Outer TieRods
Shocks

Replacing all that and obtaining a front end alignment should put you were you wanna be. Now you may or may not need to replace the control arm bushings. You can inspect them and go from there.

There's several brands of parts out there. Try to buy the ones that have a good warranty and grease fittings. I do suggest staying away from Moog as our lil toys don't like them. I will admit I was forced to use a Moog Idler arm on my T100.