Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Help? lost all but some power wont start

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 05:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help? lost all but some power wont start

Hey guys, been looking on here for help and have foudn nemorus topics related to my problem but ive had no luck so ill punt and see if anyone can help me out.

I have a 92 4runner 22RE, bought it about a month ago im the 2nd owner and its in great shape, it started right up ran like a dream...until... drove to the store and it just died, it wont turn over, no crank no power to any accessories gauges etc, but i do have headlights and dome lights surprisingly. It turns over and starts if I take a wire and go directly into the fuse box to the big black wire that tells the car to crank the starter, and it will run and drive but i still have no dash power, gauges lights etc. Here is what ive done and checked so far.

Battery= GOOD only 1/2 year old
New Ground Cable
New main power cable from the battery to the fuse box
New starter relay
New key switch
All fuses are good and not blown

Anything you guys can think to check or have an idea at is appreciated.
Old 03-20-2016, 04:23 PM

I had this problem on an 87 I just bought. I had no dash, no turn signals, no wipers and no power to start relay. I had to verify that the side of the ignition switch that sent power to the relay Was getting power. It was not. Turned out the power wire coming from the main fuse had broken. I can't say yours is wired the same but it is something to check.
Old 03-20-2016, 09:27 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Originally Posted by JB2989
...it wont turn over, no crank no power to any accessories gauges etc, but i do have headlights and dome lights surprisingly.
It turns over and starts if I take a wire and go directly into the fuse box to the big black wire that tells the car to crank the starter, and it will run and drive but i still have no dash power, gauges lights etc.

Anything you guys can think to check or have an idea at is appreciated.
Systems you say that DO work or do NOT work take power from separate fuses and branches of battery circuit.

Obviously you replaced things that did NOT cause the problem. Describe the problem clearly and stop guessing.
1) ASK for schematic from fellow members (too bad I have a first-gen 22RE so that would not help you.) AND POST the page that shows the various fuses and positive lines.
2) Get a multi-meter and learn how to use it. (Scope103 has a link to tutorial somewhere.)

"... if I take a wire and go directly into the fuse box"... Exactly where in the fuse box did you connect the wire? If you could show where in the schematic is the fuse that makes it work, then it would be easy to tell which fuse or circuit is bad.

"the big black wire that tells the car to crank the starter" ... What's that? Where's that? No pics?

Dash lights are controlled by tail light control Do you have tail lights? You checked the dash light dimming potentiometer if you have powere there?

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 03-20-2016 at 09:36 PM.
Old 03-20-2016, 09:45 PM

... for starters im not guessing, I started with the most simple and worked my way to from the battery to the fuse box, and what do you know replaced a few things that OMG might have just needed replaced anyways. Normally something is a simple problem like the battery went bad or the terminals was not tight or a fuse blew. But in this case I ran down the simple and yes ive been testing wires with the multi meter...and there is only one big black wires coming out of the fuse box into the main wiring harness. But seriously man you just came off as a jerk on here how you wrote your reply. It was uncalled for and unprofessional. I asked a question if any1 had a good lead to follow that might get me pointed int eh right direction. and the poster above you kindly replied and i will look into. I also posted this in T4R forums and got many good replys and advice on where to look. It could possibly just be a bad fuse block, or a hunt to find where the power stops. Not that the forums are all nice but the idea behind them is to encourage collaboration and help to fellow Toyota fans not be dicks to them when they have a question and be little them into thinking they dont know how to use a certain tool. But even if one didnt there was a better way of going about asking it. Good Night to you sir.
Old 03-21-2016, 12:15 AM

... ... ive been testing wires with the multi meter...and there is only one big black wires coming out of the fuse box into the main wiring harness. But seriously man you just came off as a jerk on here how you wrote your reply. ...It could possibly just be a bad fuse block, or a hunt to find where the power stops...
... be little them into thinking they dont know how to use a certain tool...
Sorry if I sounded like a dick, but I merely wanted to clarify details. I do not have same truck as you do but do have a 22RE, and in order to help, I and others trying to help need to visualize what you have in front of you.

Exactly, we need to find where the power stopped. We need to know exactly which is that wire that tells starter to crank (there are several such wires in the system: wire from ST1 contact of IGN switch sends positive 12V to starter relay to energize, Clutch safety switch sends ground to negative side of starter relay to energize it, output of starter relay goes to starter solenoid to energize it and close contacts, etc) and where you touched it and got power, we'll know that the fuse upstream of that point has power, while the original part where that wire takes power from may have bad connection/fuse, etc.

The big black wire from the fuse block goes into main harness... Inside the fuse block, it must go upstream of one or more fuse and/or downstream other fuse(s).

Suggesting where to find a procedure is not belittling; It is an attempt to help narrow down where to find information.

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 03-21-2016 at 12:20 AM.
Old 03-21-2016, 03:38 AM

Received 805 Likes on 528 Posts
... for starters im not guessing, I started with the most simple and worked my way to from the battery to the fuse box, and what do you know replaced a few things that OMG might have just needed replaced anyways. Normally something is a simple problem like the battery went bad or the terminals was not tight or a fuse blew. But in this case I ran down the simple and yes ive been testing wires with the multi meter...and there is only one big black wires coming out of the fuse box into the main wiring harness. But seriously man you just came off as a jerk on here how you wrote your reply. It was uncalled for and unprofessional. I asked a question if any1 had a good lead to follow that might get me pointed int eh right direction. and the poster above you kindly replied and i will look into. I also posted this in T4R forums and got many good replys and advice on where to look. It could possibly just be a bad fuse block, or a hunt to find where the power stops. Not that the forums are all nice but the idea behind them is to encourage collaboration and help to fellow Toyota fans not be dicks to them when they have a question and be little them into thinking they dont know how to use a certain tool. But even if one didnt there was a better way of going about asking it. Good Night to you sir.

there is a dick in this thread, but it isn't RAD. Ray is an excellent resource for solving electrical problems in automotive systems. however, solving those problems requires good information, not ambiguous information. he attempted to point you in the direction to provide good information to folks who might want or be able to help you.

as far as professional, who ˟˟˟˟ing cares? this is a free internet board. you aren't paying a dime for it, or the advice.

wally
Old 03-21-2016, 11:21 PM

if being a dick is is sending back honesty in what was taken in by the post, them I guess I am a dick...
as for everything else this blew way out of proportion and I apologize. I was possibly venting some anger and frustration unintentionally that carried over from work and not knowing it and took your post the wrong way.

Ill get some pics to give a visual to everyone, to see what im actually dealing with. the Only lights I do have are headlights and dome lights.
Old 03-22-2016, 06:40 AM

No harm done. We all have various communication style but in general we intend to help each other; some more effectively than others (LOL!)

Since no one has shared schematic for you truck, I hope it's similar to 1986-1988 22RE below ...
Please see if wire colors are same and trace wires between fuses up to pins 4 & 8 of ignition switch.
Probe all points encircled in red. They all should have +12Volts. Where you lost 12V, trace that wire/fuse back to where there is 12V. Inspect and test fuses and wiring.

Name:  Batt_Volt_Test_FuseBlock_Points_zpsnoqhdufs.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  52.6 KB
Old 03-24-2016, 04:41 PM

So I finally got some time where i wasnt tired from work to go and try to track down this issue... and apparently i left the key on the on position from the last time i was out there frustrated at my efforts. So when the battery get done charging ill get back at it. also i took a picture of the fuse box and where im touching the wire to start the car.

The black wire I isolated on the left plug there is the one that I directly take a wire and jump from the battery to turn over the car and start it. Found my manuel from when i had my old 89 4runner but it only goes to 88, but it seems to be the same wiring as the pic you posted and is the same as in my book.
Old 03-25-2016, 02:14 AM

The black wire I isolated on the left plug there is the one that I directly take a wire and jump from the battery to turn over the car and start it.
So you connected a separate wire from the battery positive to that thick black wire with the white stripe, AND you were able to crank starter AND you got combustion (the VROOM!)?

Sorry but black wire with white stripe does not match anything on the 1986-1988 schematic.

Did you trace exactly where the thick black wire with white stripe runs to?
Old 03-25-2016, 07:02 PM

So I feel dumb, but I was talking with a buddy today about my issue and he works for a shop, he says that he would replace those big fuses in the fuse box, the 30a and 40a. Well I took his advice and sure as ˟˟˟˟ he was right the green 40a had blown but you wouldn't have been able to tell unless you took the fuse apart. So problem solved. Thanks