Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Help with getting parts together for head gasket job

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 08:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with getting parts together for head gasket job

Hey guys, the day finally came, the 4runner is ready for a HG job.

I will be helping with the process, but my friend will mostly be doing it, as he is mechanically inclined and I am not.

I want to get the water pump, thermostat, and timing belt done at the same time.

I've already ordered the full gasket set and head bolts from engnbldr.

What I am confused about is where I should get the rest of the parts, and which manufacturers are prefered.

What exactly is needed besides the timing belt for the job? I see kits for sale as well as the belt by itself.

Essentially my question is, what parts do I need to do the above mentioned repairs, and where is the best place to find them? There are so many aftermarket manufacturers out there I'm not sure which to buy, I don't want to accidentally buy bad parts.

I also plan to install headers at the same time, to hopefully prevent any further HG issues.

I would appreciate any input at all on this topic, it is all helpfull. I've searched similar threads, but haven't really found a straight answer, it seems somewhat opinion based.

Last edited by vital22re; 12-20-2010 at 05:49 PM.
Old 12-16-2010, 08:42 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
by timing belt gonna assume it's the 3vze?
Old 12-16-2010, 09:21 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
go to my son's 4runner thread in my sig.

i've got lots of info and parts info in there.......
Old 12-16-2010, 10:08 AM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
If you want lots of opinions, this is the place.

When I replaced my head gasket, I had a machine shop do the heads. No point not doing it with the heads off. (They'll need parts from your gasket kit).

Spark Plugs, belts, antifreeze, assembly lube, RTV, valve cover gasket, PCV valve AND grommet.

Nitrile gloves, paint thinner (for clean up), plastic tub (same), lots of yogurt cups (keep the fasteners in order), heat gun (gently warm the rubber tubing; lots easier to remove), flex head ratchet (to remove the bolts on the exhaust crossover), bottle brush (to clean the gunk out of the plenum), camera (trust me on this one).

A lot of the parts are difficult to predict. You may, or may not, need a new timing belt idler pulley or tensioner. You might break the evap thermo valve in the back of the water jacket (lots of us have done that). You might decide the radiator hoses are bad, but the vacuum lines are good.

Good luck, keep us posted.
Old 12-16-2010, 01:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get an OEM timing belt and thermostat.

Gates makes a reasonably priced idler pulley set.

The dealer sells an OEM water pump which is Aisin, but you can find the same Aisin pump way cheaper online through Rock Auto.

Best bang for buck header option are Thorleys, check out Summit Racing for those. (Often there are promotional discounts FYI.)
Old 12-20-2010, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Wrenchinjoe
Get an OEM timing belt and thermostat.

Gates makes a reasonably priced idler pulley set.

The dealer sells an OEM water pump which is Aisin, but you can find the same Aisin pump way cheaper online through Rock Auto.

Best bang for buck header option are Thorleys, check out Summit Racing for those. (Often there are promotional discounts FYI.)
I found the aisin water pump on rockauto for $27, part #wpt007a

It is safe to assume this will fit my 94 4runner? I know there is a slight difference in the water pumps between the years

edit: evidentally that is for the 4 cyl.. rockauto has gates/acdelco/bosch water pumps for the 3vze

Last edited by vanderwiel; 12-20-2010 at 01:02 PM.
Old 12-20-2010, 04:11 PM

The one I ordered was part #AISIN WPT032 for $40.79.

Just make sure to order the one for hydraulic OR spring tensioners though. (A quick call to your dealer with your VIN should specify that quickly though.)
Old 12-20-2010, 05:04 PM

I too am getting ready to start a head gasket replacement this weekend but was curious as to what I parts I should get from Toyota.

The only parts I was thinking to get OEM was:
The engine overhaul gasket set at $328.14
and a timing belt at $33.75

And a water pump which I havent priced out yet

Anything else anyone recommend replacing?

Last edited by drmix; 12-20-2010 at 05:06 PM.
Old 12-20-2010, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by drmix
I too am getting ready to start a head gasket replacement this weekend but was curious as to what I parts I should get from Toyota.

The only parts I was thinking to get OEM was:
The engine overhaul gasket set at $328.14
and a timing belt at $33.75

And a water pump which I havent priced out yet

Anything else anyone recommend replacing?
injectors and cold start injector to witch hunter or similar.

we are replacing the timing stuff with a DAYCO set and getting AISIN water and oil pumps.......I would take off the pan, make it clean and reseal it (is the motor out??).
belts / hoses / thermostat
cam-plugs (@ the back of the heads).....i believe RED YOTA did not get these included in his set from Toyota, so make sure you have or get these.
Old 12-20-2010, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by 92 TOY
injectors and cold start injector to witch hunter or similar.

we are replacing the timing stuff with a DAYCO set and getting AISIN water and oil pumps.......I would take off the pan, make it clean and reseal it (is the motor out??).
belts / hoses / thermostat
cam-plugs (@ the back of the heads).....i believe RED YOTA did not get these included in his set from Toyota, so make sure you have or get these.
No the motor is still in the truck.

I dont think I will be replacing any of the belts or hoses due to money right now plus they arent too hard to replace if I need to later. Mostly just trying to replace things that are going to be a pain to replace later.

Are the cam plugs suppose to be included in the kit? I havent quite found a list of whats included in the kit just that its a ton of gaskets lol.
Old 12-20-2010, 05:36 PM

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...advice-221022/

start from the end and work your way back......i believe he got the full gasket set but no cam plugs in it...
Old 12-20-2010, 05:43 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
I'd pony up and use OEM headgasket. Search "headgasket 101."
Old 12-22-2010, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by drmix
No the motor is still in the truck.

I dont think I will be replacing any of the belts or hoses due to money right now plus they arent too hard to replace if I need to later. Mostly just trying to replace things that are going to be a pain to replace later.

Are the cam plugs suppose to be included in the kit? I havent quite found a list of whats included in the kit just that its a ton of gaskets lol.
Sorry to bump this back up again but are the cam plugs number 13 and 14 in this diagram? I am about to place my order and just double checking im not forgetting anything

Old 12-22-2010, 04:33 PM

hang on ....let me check....did you read REDYOTA's thread......that's where I'm going.
Old 12-22-2010, 04:37 PM

go here------>>>> https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...22/index6.html and see post #144
Old 12-22-2010, 04:54 PM

go here------>>>> https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...22/index6.html and see post #144
Yeah I seen that post but I was just curious as to which one it is in the diagram that I needed to order.
#13 is a camshaft seal
#14 is just called a plug

In post #141 its got a diagram of where the gaskets go but it looks like #13 is there but I dont see a #14.

Would I just need 2 14s you think?
Old 12-22-2010, 05:10 PM

don't know if there is a difference for this motor and these parts for the 1988 year I searched (our 4runner) and yours......but here's a better pic from www.toyotapartszone.com I'm assuming yours is the 1993 3.0

Old 12-22-2010, 05:33 PM

don't know if there is a difference for this motor and these parts for the 1988 year I searched (our 4runner) and yours......but here's a better pic from www.toyotapartszone.com I'm assuming yours is the 1993 3.0

Yeah that helps. So do you think I just need 2 of the 11188 plugs then? One for each head?
Old 12-22-2010, 05:42 PM

I'm gonna just go ahead and say YES. it's stupid that they don't have that exploded diagram for each head.....but then again, those diagrams probably weren't intended for you and me.

so yes, I would order those.

DO MAKE SURE to go to that site and punch in your VIN and make sure you have it all right........if in doubt, contact someone there and they can run your VIN as well and help you out.

I will be ordering 2 of those as well.......and I would presume they are the same part# for both years, but make sure that is the case.

good luck and good night.
Old 12-22-2010, 05:58 PM

I'm pretty sure Red got the "Valve Grind Gasket Set" which is what I did as well. It includes all the head related gaskets and seals EXCEPT for the 2 rear cam plugs (the front ones are called cam seals). We both had to order the rear plugs separately.

This gasket set also does not include your front main oil seal (crank shaft seal), get that separately too. You should also get a new Knock Sensor Pigtail, it is only $11 and you don't want to tear it down this far again any time soon for such a nominal part.

Last edited by Wrenchinjoe; 12-22-2010 at 06:03 PM.

Quick Reply: Help with getting parts together for head gasket job