Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Help!!! Daily Driver Died!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 10:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Help!!! Daily Driver Died!!!

Ok, I really need help.
I was driving today, and kinda heard like a squirrely sound under the hood, but could not pinpoint it. Kinda sounded like a belt, but checked all belts and all is good. Nothing was loose. Got worse, and then finally died on me in the driveway, just shut off, all the light came on. When I went to try and start it up, it did start, but sounded like a belt from hell was squeeling, BUT ALL BELTS ARE FINE, only light that went off was the "check engine"? What does that mean? The squeeling noise kinda sounded half belt, half metal. Was driving great yesterday, and then today the noise some, then worse, then died and now scared to start cause the noise.
PLEASE HELP>>>DAILY DRIVER AND NO OTHER CAR
Old 11-27-2007, 10:12 AM

I know you said all belts are fine, Not sure if you checked your timing belt, If you never, im thinking your timing belt took a crap.. take off the cover and check
Old 11-27-2007, 10:15 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
yeah, when was the last time it was changed? if its been a while, thats probably it. your truck will not go anywhere without it!
Old 11-27-2007, 10:24 AM

about 80,000 miles ago, it would squeel like that? Cause this is a bad bad squeel. but it will still start too
Old 11-27-2007, 10:27 AM

if it starts, then its fine, maybe its your tensioner bearings
Old 11-27-2007, 10:29 AM

what does that do?
Old 11-27-2007, 10:29 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
but would that get a CEL to come on? start it, and listen for the squeal. tell us where its comming from and if you can maybe see something that looks odd. take a pic or a video if you can too
Old 11-27-2007, 10:32 AM

Ok, nothing but a real real bad squeel, nothin looks wrong, all is tight and in place.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what does your idler pully look like? yours could be frose up and the belt is squealing when going around the frozen pulley...?

good luck.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:47 AM

How can I tell if it is froze up? Will I be able to test it with my hands?
Old 11-27-2007, 11:20 AM

could be water pump bearing something is seizing up on you maybe your alternator
Old 11-27-2007, 11:28 AM

can we say Vibration dampner is toast. thats what id check. its got a rubber insert inbetween its 2 metal pieces and if thats broken down then the outside would spin slower then the inside piece and you have problems. anyway vib dampner is on the front end of the crank

either that or one of your idler pulleys for your timing belt may have frozen up and broke your timing belt or at least stripped it.

Last edited by thefallman; 11-27-2007 at 11:30 AM.
Old 11-27-2007, 01:23 PM

Ok, update, I it is now dark enough to use a flashlight, and when i flashed it down in there i saw A LOT of shrapnel on and around my water pump, so that is toast, i am going to pull it all off tomorrow and replace the pump and berings, thee are two sets right? front and back?
what do you think....pretty clear?
Old 11-27-2007, 02:44 PM

you talking fake water pump that the fans bolted to or real one thats turned by the timing belt? if your talking the real water pump put it inside where its warm cause its not a hour job. you will need to pull the fan. the fake pump the plastics then the pump and the 2 bearings. not sure why your truck wouldnt start if its just the waterpump unless you destroyed the crank postition sensor or broke your timeing belt.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:03 PM

Nah, the truck starts right up, just a nasty belt and metal grinding sound. and all the shrapnel on the pump you can see behind the pully. u know, where the little fins kinda show a little. ya, shrapnel all over it.
lol
my truck just LOVES ME
Old 11-27-2007, 05:37 PM

When you say 'shrapnel' what do you mean? Like ground rubber from a belt? I'd loosen the belts and try to turn all your accessories. (alt, fan pulley, power steering pump, air conditioning pump) They may look find but if one of those is frozen then it'll make a hell of a noise and chew up the belt pretty quick. If your alt was frozen then all your dash lights would light up too. I'd check the easy stuff first.

Jason
Old 11-27-2007, 05:44 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
could try pulling the code too. when the CEL goes on it means something is wrong. if you pull the code (its free, and doesent require a reader btw) it'll point you right at the problem instead of just sitting here and guessing...
Old 11-27-2007, 06:33 PM

he is talking about the fake water pump that the fan is bolted too he said "the shrapnel is behind the thingy with the fins". the thingy with the fins sounds like the fan clutch to me. so if its below that i would check like someone else said all your accessories, the fake water pump, alternator, power steering.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:32 AM

Fan idler bearing is done. "fake water pump."
I removed it and went electric fan.
Old 11-28-2007, 02:17 PM

Well, I found the problem, I pulled everything off today ( lucky my boss owns a 4runner ) and found that my water pump berings are froze and it started to tear itself up. everything else is in good shape, also, looked at my timing belt and i guess i had about another 100 miles on it...my heart went in me throat when i saw it. lol,
So i guess this is a good thing though, cause I needed to change my crank shaft gasket, it was leaking real bad from there, so I will go ahead and replace pretty much the whole front end...lol....work work work, but it is all good cause I love my rig and would eventually changed everything out anyways weather it needed it or not.
But thanks too everyone who helped and all the PM's I got. I will post some pictures when I am done to show the shape it was all in.

Quick Reply: Help!!! Daily Driver Died!!!