Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Help of all sorts...

Old 08-28-2007, 11:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help of all sorts...

I am trying what to decide to do with my 95 4runner. It's got 145k, a rust on the wheel wells (that I fixed, hopefully), rust underneath. It just passed inspection, but was told it needs a new idler arm, front brakes and front shocks (the tires are just starting to wear unevenly.) I also want to put in rear springs to get the sag out and I already have a set of OME shocks to put in. I think the water pump might have to be changed soon too because of a little noise.

I really havent put that much money into it since Ive had it. I bought it for 3500, put a stereo, hella lamps, cb radio, new tailgate, oil changes, cv boots, and about 25k on it in a little over 2 years.

SO........Choices are....1.I could buy the coils, shocks, ect., and put them in myself. Idler arm and front shocks look easy, rear shocks and coils are rusty and I dont have a torch or coil compressor.
2. Take it to someone, give them lots of money, and have it back with everything done and happy.
3. Sell it and buy a newer one.

If I keep it, after I do the shocks n springs I want to undercoat it and put on a line of bedliner along the bottom of the body (wheel wells and bottom of doors) to hopefully slow down the rust.

Any comments/suggestions/help would be appreciated...........................Thanks
Old 08-28-2007, 11:30 AM
Contributing Member

Option 3

If you can get you rmoney back out of it... If you do all this work then you run the chance on never getting all your money back out of it. just my .02
Old 08-28-2007, 11:31 AM

if you WANT to do the work and you have an alternate means of transportation, i say hack into it yourself. you've had it for two years and are pretty familiar with it. if you sold it and bought another, who knows what other problems you'll inherit. with yours, at least you know how much you'll need to spend to get it where you want it to be.

if you ever get stuck, this forum is a WEALTH of information and has many knowlegeable people who can help.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Blurr
if you WANT to do the work and you have an alternate means of transportation, i say hack into it yourself. you've had it for two years and are pretty familiar with it. if you sold it and bought another, who knows what other problems you'll inherit. with yours, at least you know how much you'll need to spend to get it where you want it to be.

if you ever get stuck, this forum is a WEALTH of information and has many knowlegeable people who can help.
yeah, what he said.....

I felt the same way for a while about my 89 4Runner. And I didn't want to get rid of it just to take on someone elses problems. So, I ended up buying a Solara for a daily driver and now I am in the beginning stages of doing a TON of upgrades to the truck.

I found all the inspiration I could ever want here on YT - not to mention all the valuable tech knowledge and the SUPER helpful people....

Old 08-28-2007, 12:47 PM

deff make sure u have an other daily driver before u start bustin into anything. but id say get it on with that thing man. unless you've got some family heirloom u wanna sell that will allow you to send it away to a shop... do it yourself. u'll feel better about it to.
Old 08-28-2007, 01:30 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Never sell a vehicle that is paid for unless you make a profit doing so.

Fix it yourself as you will be a better man for it!

Old 08-28-2007, 01:48 PM

Looks to me like you've got a few weekends worth of projects. I agree, don't sell it unless you will make equal to or more than what you have in it. That is unless you think you've got all the "good" out of it and you're selling it before it dies. But that is just me...I'm very much a fan of the one payment down, 0% interest and zero payments to follow system

But the projects shouldn't be too bad. Especially if you can choose your down time. (IE...take care of that water pump on your schedule before it breaks) As for the rusty nuts/bolts on the shocks, try some PB Blaster. You can find it at any hardware store, auto parts place or even Wal-Mart. That stuff is amazing. Just hit it once a day for a few days before attempting to work on it.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:23 PM

Thanks for all the responses so far....look to be all about doin it myself n keeping it. I dont think if I sell it right now I'd get what I put in, so I'm thinkin more and more that I'm gunna try it. I do have my motorcycle, and could use one of dads 4 cars if it came to it.

Ill post updates as they come.

Thanks again...any more would be appreciated.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:02 AM

If interested, just a little update......

Thanks for all the responses, I decided to go through and do it myself. Its been so long, and no updates because I started another project of getting an 8 week old puppy. Prolly not the best time to do both, but the 4runner can wait.................

I ended up goin with Bilstiens in the front, OME (great deal off ebay) in the back, with Moog springs.

I did get the Idler arm and the front shocks on, easy, thanks to sawsall and pb blaster. I checked the brakes, but decided not to do them, still plenty of pad left. The steering and overall ride was amazing compared to before.

I want to try and to the undercoating, atleast on the body and front of the bottom before I get into the rear shocks and springs, but I am up for it now. Will post pics aften undercoating. Thanks for the encouragement.....

Search this Thread