Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Help! 88' yota or new tacoma?

Old 01-29-2009, 12:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help! 88' yota or new tacoma?

Hey everybody, I was wondering if you guys would grace me with your insightful knowledge and years of experiance. I have had my 88' yota for about a year and a half. I really like it, it's given me no real problems but everytime I see a brand new tacoma I always wonder. I have always been in love with the body style of the 85 thru 88 yota's but the interior's of the new truck's are so luxurious compared to mine.

Well I'am deploying in a week or so to iraq and I should come back with some nice cash. Would you guy's say use that money for any repairs I need, a paint job, a lift kit etc on my 88' or sell my truck and start payments on a new yota? I know it's a tough question and only I can make the call but it's been bugging me at night. Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-29-2009, 01:14 PM

u wont get the dependability out of the new one and besides once the old ones gone youll kick yourself in the ass for getting rid of it
Old 01-29-2009, 01:15 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
First let me say thank you for your service and you'll be in my prayers.

I'd have to say that the choice is yours although if it was me I'd probably build the 88. On the other hand it would be bad @ss to have a new rig as a DD and then be able to put a little money and a lot of time into the 88 as a trail rig.

If the 88 is already paid for then it won't cost you anything to keep it and build it slowly.

God Bless
SSgt. Richard D. Junker Jr.
Old 01-29-2009, 03:11 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
95-04 single cab taco gets my vote ...
Old 01-29-2009, 03:28 PM

If the 88's body and frame are in good shape, I'd say keep it. The new Taco's are only gonna get cheaper, so if a couple years down the road you want a nicer DD you'll be able to afford it and still keep the 88. Besides, 2nd and 3rd gens are so much better looking than the new tacos.
Old 01-29-2009, 03:40 PM
Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
keep the 88 as a wheeler and get a new tacoma as a DD/tow rigS
Old 01-29-2009, 03:50 PM

Thanks sgt junker, ill be alright ali base should be safe. Anyway so far I agree with all of you, My truck is paid for, I got it for a grand, lol. And having two trucks would be sick but theres no way I could afford two vehicles on e-3 pay. So maybe ill just stick with my truck, like highridinyota said, I would be kicking myself If I sold it. hmm maybe putting a new carpet and some nice bucket seats would make the interior a lot better. But yeah the frame and body is good, well actually the drivers door is kinda messed up after going through tahuya in the snow haha.
Old 01-29-2009, 04:13 PM

Id say get a late model lightly used 02-04 or 05+ taco TRD and build the 88 like everyone else said.

On that note- whats the consensus on the new Tacos? Why are you guys claiming them to be less reliable? I think they look real nice too.

Good luck in the desert, be safe.
Old 01-29-2009, 04:20 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by g_mau18
Thanks sgt junker, ill be alright ali base should be safe.
Ali may be safe but I'll still pray for you. I've lost too many brothers/sisters over there on safe missions to stop praying now.
Old 01-29-2009, 05:45 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by vermontoyota
Id say get a late model lightly used 02-04 or 05+ taco TRD and build the 88 like everyone else said.

On that note- whats the consensus on the new Tacos? Why are you guys claiming them to be less reliable? I think they look real nice too.

Good luck in the desert, be safe.
They're built in mexico. The 05's had a problem with the frame under the motor mount caving in..have fun...Umm, The lsd's in some models have been known to go bad...My buddies dad has an 08 and has been to the dealer 3 times for the ecu going out...toyota is just building their cars cheaper...If you want something thats still built in japan, go 4runner or FJ. Nuff said.
Old 01-29-2009, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by g_mau18
Thanks sgt junker, ill be alright ali base should be safe. Anyway so far I agree with all of you, My truck is paid for, I got it for a grand, lol. And having two trucks would be sick but theres no way I could afford two vehicles on e-3 pay. So maybe ill just stick with my truck, like highridinyota said, I would be kicking myself If I sold it. hmm maybe putting a new carpet and some nice bucket seats would make the interior a lot better. But yeah the frame and body is good, well actually the drivers door is kinda messed up after going through tahuya in the snow haha.
Just thought this might help. http://windymountainwhirligigs.com/yoda.html

[
Old 01-29-2009, 05:58 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Keep the 88 and fix her up

You will be glad you held onto of the last true japanese made trucks. PLus, everyone has new tacomas, not may 2nd gen pickups around anymore.
Old 01-29-2009, 07:10 PM
Contributing Member

Keep the 88

Ive had my 88 for many many years and love it. I put seats and a center console from a mid 90's 4 runner in mine, the fabric and color matched my interior perfectly and made a HUGE difference in the look of the inside, I also swapped out my gauge cluster with a full set with a tach, installed a sun roof and a tinted rear sliding window in place of the stock clear one, clinometer etc... My dad has an 03 Taco TRD that he bought new, we installed real Bilsteins all the way around and he is running REVO's too, its nice but its a lot bigger than my 88... I do like the engine matched to the 5 speed over my 3.0 and auto, but it is what it is and its paid for!!! I should post some pics of my 88!!!
Old 01-30-2009, 12:04 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
hmmm... my brother sold is 85 and bought a 2009 TRD Tacoma. It sure is pretty, nice and ... awesome, lol. We lifted it and he's got 33's under it now. i think 3k miles on it so far.

Awesome rigs, and i dont mis fixing his 85, at all!!!!!!!!!! but i was sad to see the 85 go, and pissed he wouldnt sell it to our parents for 3grand, it was really only worth 2k, and he still sold it for 3500....

anyhoo, personally... if i had the $, id keep my rig, buy a new taco for my DD. but i dont so im happy with my 87 =) and for what its worth, ill never get rid of it
Old 01-30-2009, 02:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by drew303
but i dont so im happy with my 87 =) and for what its worth, ill never get rid of it
Same here. I love my '88 4Runner and will never get rid of it. Yeah a new truck would be nice, but its gonna cost a whole lot more in payments and whatnot than it would to just make my '88 nice. I say keep your current truck and get a newer truck down the road when you can afford both
Old 01-30-2009, 04:53 AM

Hey I'll take care of your 88 while your gone! Maybe a little wheelin! Maybe alot ! Keep your 88 ! Thanks for your service !
Old 01-30-2009, 04:58 AM

They're right, keep the 88, do it up all nice and make it yours, everyone has a Tacoma.

Last edited by TPLefever; 01-30-2009 at 05:01 AM.
Old 01-30-2009, 07:23 AM

thanks guys, You inspired me to come back and make my 88 beautiful when im done. especially evil dingo that dude made his interior pretty cherry.
Old 01-30-2009, 08:08 AM

^^^^

Glad it helped. Thanks for the compliment. The next thing on my list for the interior is fixing the dash cracks and insulating under the carpet up into the firewall for noise reduction. You can pick up decent dash covers on e-bay that are color matched for around 69.00. but I think I am going to fab a cover with a heat gun and some closely color matched plastic I found.

The other thing about your 88 is that with todays economy, it will be paid for even if you put a couple thousand into it. I have a good job and could afford a new Tacoma but I am a little freaked out about what would happen if the wife or I lost our jobs. It is nice not having a car payment hanging over our heads or full coverage insurance. The economy is down another 3%. Lowest drop in 30 years. The other nice thing about these trucks is the rarity of them. Everyone has a new Tocoma, but I find it neat that they slow down on the highway to give a pr nod or to just check out my 20 year old truck. Also I have been approached twice now at gas stations from people who said they want to "buy my truck and how much". I smile, tell them its not for sale and then they say "I don't blame ya".

If you choose to do the seet swap, let me know. I will send the specs for the fabbed seat mounts.

ps, lets see some pics .

Last edited by Evil.Dingo; 01-30-2009 at 08:14 AM.
Old 01-30-2009, 08:46 AM

Keep your old truck, the lockers in the new TRD's are really nice, they are still reliable but just not as reliable as the 22re and are difficult to work on. you'll be better off locking your current rig, or making the interior more comfortable, besides you'll regret selling your current rig, I know I did.

PS: I'm going to Paris Island for USMC basic training hopefully sometime in July

Last edited by 1stgen4gunner; 01-30-2009 at 08:48 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help! 88' yota or new tacoma?