Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

HELP 87 4runner 22re wont start

Old 05-18-2014, 10:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP 87 4runner 22re wont start

I pulled my 87 4runner into the garage to check the oil which is only half full and when I went to start it back up again it cranked once and now it wont start it sounds like it clicks and sparks once then either fuel or air is goin through it need help now my daily driver
Old 05-18-2014, 11:28 AM

Question

Lol ok i'm still new myself at this motor (22r) after i got done with my trans swap. My 4runner is having the same issues but it starts after like three tries. The way you word it. So does your engine turn when you try too start it? Is your battery still good? Or everything good just won't start? Gotta ask, cause mines don't have a good gas gauges. Its not low on gas is it? If you can explain better on what the issues is some one might be able too help you out.
Old 05-18-2014, 12:54 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Check Battery Voltage and Connections

A problem well-stated is a problem half-way to being solved.

You say "Click".
What exactly clicks? Starter relay? Starter solenoid? Search Yotatech for locations.

Checked you battery voltage? Checked you connections?

Check exactly at post itself.
Battery should have more than 12Volts without load (nothing on). around 12.4 V
Should would drop to around 11.8 Volts with high beams on. Then it should crank starter.

If voltage (exactly at battery post) it does NOT drop when you turn high beams on, you probably have bad contact between battery post and clamp-connector. You should have bare metal to bare metal surfaces making contact. Grey metal is not bare metal in the electrical sense. You need to see silver-color of lead posts / steel clamps. Or shiny copper of connector.

IF voltage drops below 11Volts when you turn high-beams on, have battery tested at store.

When absolutely sure battery and connections are good, see cranking/starting system explained in my build thread.
Old 05-18-2014, 03:48 PM

I let it sit for a while and went to crank it over again before it wasn't cranking at all just sounded like it wanted to but didn't but anyway I started it it started about half way and started to die so I pushed the gas to the floor and revved it up and it started? did I possibly flood it somehow?
Old 05-18-2014, 04:36 PM

Need to clearly distinguish the following from each other:
Cranking means starter is turning? Does it sound energetic of it needs a testosterone shot?
Ignition. Do you see spark at end of ignition wire when brought close to metal body (ground)?
Combustion do you sense the "VROOM"?

It is possible for starter to crank weakly, but if you have good ignition and have fuel, it would start combustion as soon as starter cranks even for a tiny bit.
Old 05-18-2014, 05:30 PM

I am having some problems too with starting. I just replaced my headgasket, timing chain, waterpump, headbolts, and had the head serviced with an LCE efi cam upgrade. I finally got it all buttoned back up, and turned it over 3 times 5 seconds each time. It tried to hit the third time.... then ... nothing on try #4. The lights are on in the dash, and they dim when I attempt to crank. But turn the key.. not even a click.

86 4runner 22re with an auto trans.

Any ideas?
Old 05-18-2014, 07:41 PM

wildrice,
Did you check what I just posted above? Do you have a multi-meter? So you have a schematic?

Originally Posted by wildrice
... turned it over 3 times 5 seconds each time.
Please clarify...
  1. Three times, you tried and starter cranked (turned) for 5 seconds but no "VROOM"?, OR
  2. Three times you held ignition switch in start position for 5 seconds but not crank and no "vroom"?

... nothing on try #4. The lights are on in the dash, and they dim when I attempt to crank.
This is as expected. When you put load on battery, lights will dim.

But turn the key.. not even a click.
You wore your battery down keeping the starter turning for so long.
Old 05-19-2014, 03:26 AM

I havnt checked anything with the battery I don't think it is that all my lights still work fine and it started after trying it a bunch of times and letting it sit for a couple hours so the battery has to still be good. when I tried starting it and it wasn't doing anything it sounded like the starter just clicked once and it sounds like something up near the efi block ignited then was pushing air or fuel through but I don't know exactly im still trying to learn mechanics im not that good
Old 05-19-2014, 03:54 AM

also I wanted to ask how to check my spark plugs I noticed that the boots that go over the spark plugs are all kinda on different as in the two on either end are so tight I cant budge them and the two in the middle are so loose I could pull them right off pretty much was wondering if anyone could help me how tight should these be on and how to I check my plugs for spark?
Old 05-19-2014, 06:16 AM

No crank all of the sudden

I actually got it to crank, and it cranked strong like full battery strong. Then on the 4th attempt to get it started it would not do anything, but the acc still has power. The battery is fine and was fully charged. It is some sort of connection lost or Maby a fuse somewhere is my guess. I got some new terminal clamps today to try after work.
Old 05-19-2014, 05:07 PM

Got mine to crank. Turns out my neutral safety switch was not engaging, because my shift cable is stretched or out of adjustment. Got it cranked, set the timing and ran it around 1800rpm for 22 mins. Cam burnishing a success. Now it idles down so low that it wont stay running. I think maby one of my vacuum lines might be off or something.