Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Help. 3.0, hissing sound at fire wall, smell of gas, hard to start.

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 02:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help. 3.0, hissing sound at fire wall, smell of gas, hard to start.

Well, my 88 3.0 5spd 4runner had been flawless so far. but I got back from the weekend and tryed to start the truck and it took a minute of cranking to start it. so I drove it around the block, shut it off and it started up perfectly. It seems that the longer I let it sit the longer it takes to start.

I noticed a strong smell of gas so I poped the hood and stuck my head in and heard a hissing from between the fire wall and engine. sounds like a small air leak. I cant find out where exactly its coming from, but all that sback there that I can see is the fuel hard line to the drivers fuel rail. and a soft line coming from the charcoal canister.

Basically before I go tearing into the biggest PITA area of the truck, does anyone have ideas of how I should go about this, or what may be wrong.
Old 09-05-2006, 06:55 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
hmmm hissing plus a gas smell? id be willing to bet you have gas spraying aboot back there....got any type of fluid blowing out and dripping down?

Also with the egine off, turn on the ignition and push in the opening of the VAFM. This will kick on the fuel pump. If you suddenly hear hissing then, you know its fuel system leakage. If not its probably a vacuum leak and the gas smell is probably from a leaking o ring around an injector or something...
Old 09-05-2006, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by Bumpin' Yota
hmmm hissing plus a gas smell? id be willing to bet you have gas spraying aboot back there....got any type of fluid blowing out and dripping down?

Also with the egine off, turn on the ignition and push in the opening of the VAFM. This will kick on the fuel pump. If you suddenly hear hissing then, you know its fuel system leakage. If not its probably a vacuum leak and the gas smell is probably from a leaking o ring around an injector or something...
hmmm, well the gas smell is new.

and id love to pretend to know what the VAFM is but that would be dishonest. So whats the vafm, Id like to do this in the morning before work bc the hissing goes away after about an hour or 2 (which also leads me to beleive that it is definatly fuel related.
Old 09-05-2006, 07:51 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
VAFM = (Something like) Volume air flow mass (reader/sensor) thingie

ie im fairly shure its the flapper door in your air box.

as for your prob....

if its not the fuel line that runs up the back of the motor/firewall on the pass side, its likely a heater hose that connects to the water distubution block on the VERY back of the motor.

fuel smell could be secondary o-ring leak as mentioned

Last edited by snap-on; 09-05-2006 at 07:54 PM.
Old 09-06-2006, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by snap-on
VAFM = (Something like) Volume air flow mass (reader/sensor) thingie

ie im fairly shure its the flapper door in your air box.

as for your prob....

if its not the fuel line that runs up the back of the motor/firewall on the pass side, its likely a heater hose that connects to the water distubution block on the VERY back of the motor.

fuel smell could be secondary o-ring leak as mentioned
Vein Air Flow Meter or something, I got it. It started great this morning. I think its a fuel line the heater hoses are cool. its coming from below them. WHY GOD WHY DOES THIS HAVE TO HAPPEN BACK THERE!!!!

new gas smell....hard to start if its been sitting....hissing coming from area near fuel line....hissing will eventually stop if its been sitting long enough....Its got to be a fuel line. the only thing is I dont know if its leaking fuel or venting fumes. I cant see fuel, but fuel flashes so fast escpecilly on a hot engine block. Ill climb back there when the motor isnt still hot.
Old 09-15-2006, 12:52 PM

well I climbed back there and looked I think it must be coming from a plastic thingy that is oh so cleaverly tucked up under the back of the plenum. WTF is this. It looks like a fuel filter. Is it part of a return line?...
Old 09-15-2006, 12:58 PM

sounds like the main fuel line going to the fuel rail..the plenum isn't hard to get out of the way. infact you can probablly just unbolt it and move it slightly to the front of the truck and not have to mess with the tangles of vacuum hoses
Old 09-15-2006, 01:07 PM

thats the plan, the line comes directly up from the filter and tank and then into this thingy, then into the drivers side fuel rail