Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

HELP 22re truck wont stay running

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 04:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP 22re truck wont stay running

Hey guys, im trying to go wheeling, but the darn truck wont stay running, it will run for 10seconds, then will just die out, then i have to let it sit for a few minutes and it will run for another 10 seconds, i searched on here, but i havent found anything like that, i did pull the cold start injector and attempted to clean it off a little bit, any help ? 87 4runner, 22re, 5spd

Last edited by waskillywabbit; 07-11-2009 at 04:58 PM. Reason: Useful title
Old 07-11-2009, 04:57 AM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
fuel filter?
Old 07-11-2009, 05:12 AM

i figured with the fuel filter pluged it wounldnt run at all, plus it smells like its kinda flooding out, but as soon as you touch the gas pedel with it running it dies instantly
Old 07-11-2009, 05:54 AM

it could be many things...fuel filter would do this. The flapper in the airbox could be stuck open? This has happened to me and it runs hella rich at idle and barely runs.
Old 07-11-2009, 06:37 AM

I had this happen to me in my 89 pickup, it was the fuel filter.
Old 07-11-2009, 08:08 AM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
if its pluged there's prob enough fuel to start, but when it needs more in a hurry!
Thats my take. I hope you have small hands and a lot of beer , you'll need it. Good luck.
Old 07-11-2009, 08:12 AM

changed the fuel filter, wasnt it, I hit the key when i changed the filter, and no ful came out unless i hit it up to the starter, not sure if this is normal, but not very much came out as well.. i think maybe my 271,000mile pump took a poop, do most people put some sort of inline pump in, or do they just drop the tank and put an OEM one in there, whats easier/cheaper
Old 07-11-2009, 08:15 AM

fuel filters super easy to change, just pop pass side front tire off, pull off the 4 10mm bolts on the access panel and get up there :-)
Old 07-11-2009, 08:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When the day comes, as it must for all whose trucks last long enough, I'll replace the OEM pump...or hopefully be able to pay someone to do it.
Old 07-11-2009, 08:46 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by clappedoutyota
changed the fuel filter, wasnt it, I hit the key when i changed the filter, and no ful came out unless i hit it up to the starter, not sure if this is normal, but not very much came out as well.. i think maybe my 271,000mile pump took a poop, do most people put some sort of inline pump in, or do they just drop the tank and put an OEM one in there, whats easier/cheaper
That is normal, unless the engine is running or starter is cranking, fuel pump is off. Or install the fuel pump test jumper:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...shtml#FuelPump
Old 07-11-2009, 08:55 AM

ya lie i said, itll start for 10seconds or so, then it will slowly die like its running outta fuel. my old chevy did that to, and it was the pump, im wonderin if the pump went bad, is there anything else u guys could think of ?
Old 07-11-2009, 08:57 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by clappedoutyota
ya lie i said, itll start for 10seconds or so, then it will slowly die like its running outta fuel. my old chevy did that to, and it was the pump, im wonderin if the pump went bad, is there anything else u guys could think of ?
Like I posted above, try the fuel pump test jumper and then you'll know for sure.
Old 07-11-2009, 01:01 PM

ok, so i jumperd the test port, no dice, but when i turn the key to on, i can here a faint sound most like a return line in the engine bay, but i pulled the back passenger seat off and the access panel and COULD NOT here the fuel pump running at all, so im guessing that my fuel pump is toast ? is that correct.
Old 07-11-2009, 02:33 PM

beulller... .beuller..
Old 07-11-2009, 03:17 PM

those pumps are usually a PITA to get out without breaking bolts off...
Old 07-11-2009, 04:23 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Its very easy to change a fuel pump on an 87 4Runner if its bad. If you need a new pump you can get a Denso replacement (factory replacement) from www.densoproducts.com for 110.00
Old 07-11-2009, 11:45 PM
Contributing Member

be sure to pull the diagnostic codes (even if the check engine light hasn't come on) and check all the vacuum lines
a bad/stuck TPS or a bad O2 sensor could cause the engine to die as well

what was the last thing you were doing when it ran fine? how long did it sit before you started it again? how much fuel do you currently have in the tank? if you have less than a quarter of gas in the tank it can cause strain on the fuel pump

i would guess that there would be a slow decline in starting response if the fuel filter was going bad, and that if the pump went completely bad, it wouldn't start at all, so there was probably a slow decline in pump performance as well ... so you should have been able to notice that the starts were getting more and more sluggish ... and as i said, if fuel is low in the tank, it's more work for the fuel pump, how much gas in the tank?

Last edited by jungle_runner; 07-11-2009 at 11:50 PM.
Old 07-12-2009, 03:46 AM

it has a full tank of gas, ive only owned it 2 weeks, it was a pain to start, it sat for 5 days, last time it ran ok, was in my garage last weekend after iput new plugs and airfilter in it, it was hard to start then, but it would stay running and when warm would be fine. but now it doesnt stay running for more than 2-10 seconds. I changed the fuel filter yesterdy and i seemed a litttle better, but still dies, so makes me think its a weak pump that cant hold pressure.
Old 07-12-2009, 09:22 AM
Contributing Member

so after you put new plugs in it wouldn't stay running? or did it run after the new plugs?

yeah, if it was a pain to start before, then something was in decline, so yeah, could be fuel pump

here's how to pull the codes, i still think you should check 'em, and know how to check 'em if you don't. here's a link (lot's of other great things on 4crawler's site too):

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...CheckConnector
Old 07-12-2009, 09:42 AM

the hits just keep on coming!, i pulled the fuel pump, and wouldnt ya know it, i busted a line, what a pain in the a$$ not sure if im gonna go with a new hard hose, or just cut it back to where its solid, and put a rubber piece in there, damn rust belt trucks haha, it was the dreaded bend, there is the 19mm and the 14mm nut coupler, well those are fused, so i tried to take off the lower coupler, and it just twisted right off. so next weekend il have to take a better look at it, and get the new pump in, if i have to ill wire up a fuel pump relay i have here from my old race car, and put it on its own switch and bypass all of the old yota crap.

Quick Reply: HELP 22re truck wont stay running