Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

HELP!: 22R with engine/fuel loss when shifting...

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 05:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP!: 22R with engine/fuel loss when shifting...

I'm new to the Toyota scene so please excuse the fact that this may be a FAQ. I have searched for the past 3 hours on many forums and it seems I have narrowed down a few things that may be my problem. I need assistance from you guys who may have had the same problem.

I have a 90 Toyota pickup that I picked up yesterday with a carb'd 22R motor with 200k miles. The truck was my father's who didn't drive it much at all. He bought it last year and I don't have any receipts to show what has been replaced or serviced.

Here is my problem. I am going to use this truck as a daily driver for work. The motor starts fine. I have to pump the gas a bit but it starts almost every time (keep in mind it hasn't been driven in many months). Once I put it in gear and take off, it seems to run lean (i guess) in between shifts and cuts off when I disengage the clutch to shift. I love this truck to death and want it to be dependable and reliable. I am willing to do whatever it takes to resolve this issue.

Does anyone know what my problem may be? I have many ideas that I have gained tonight from searching the forums as to what may be the problem but I thought it would be good to see if I can get any help from you guys.

Many thanks!!!

Also, the supernerd stated that I should clean carb and replace fuel and air filters with a simple tune. I am about to pull carb and see what it looks like.
Old 05-24-2007, 10:17 AM

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Do a basic tune up first. That is easier and will make it run better anyway. Spray carburetor cleaner on vacuum connections, including the EGR pipe, base of the carburetor, and where the intake manifold meets the head. If your idle changes while spraying it, then you have found a vacuum leak. The fuel cut solenoid and a stuck EGR valve will also cause it to idle bad.
Old 05-29-2007, 08:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My fuel filter was caked with dirt and water so I hope that was my problem. I am about to start the motor over tomorrow to see if that solves things.

I was wondering if anyone has every used Seaform to clean your motor? I would like to know if this stuff works before I use it.

Also, has anyone gotten their door jammed shut? I put keyless entry on my truck and now the driver door is jammed and I cannot open it and I have tried everything to get it open. Any pointers from experience before I call a locksmith??
Old 05-29-2007, 09:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Seafoam works pretty well but if the truck runs OK otherwise, I don't think it's going to help the problem. Another thing to look into if the tune-up doesn't help is the idle cut solenoid. It's the only item on the carb with two wires going to it. It cuts off fuel flow to the idle circuits when you turn it off and on deceleration via a vacuum switch.

Over on 4x4wire they have an FSM for an 85 that would cover the procedures for checking out the solenoid and the vacuum switch, but also just replacing any vacuum lines that look dodgy could help too.