Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

headlights cutting out/ need parts info

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 06:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
headlights cutting out/ need parts info

Hey
My dad asked me to run a question past yall he wants to know, what years and models he can pull a dimmer switch from?
He has a 87 base model 4x4 pickup.

His headlights have been cutting in and out on him for a few years now. I think its only the high beams but I wouldn't swear to it. Also any suggestions on other things to check would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:41 PM

Received 216 Likes on 158 Posts
Dimmer, as in the high low beam on the column??

Any 84-88 should work I'm sure 89-95 like mine would be different.

Last edited by Discombobulated; 09-02-2013 at 07:42 PM.
Old 09-02-2013, 08:00 PM

Yea I think that's what he's referring too, our local parts guy said you had to change the entire column, and toyota has different parts numbers for tilt steering wheel dimmers and different numbers for different packages
Old 09-02-2013, 10:11 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Usually it is just the contacts that need cleaned. You will need to rent a wheel puller to get the steering wheel off. Also while I am in there, I use a .22 shell to fix the horn. If you do swap out entire wiring harness assembly, there is a white tag with the part number on it and you need to get the same one as like you mentioned there are differences.

Copied...
I went to work on my Light Switch and Wiper delay. I plugged my old one in and the wiper delay worked. But not bright lights. I then tried to combine the 2 and was going to have cut wire and splice and didnt want to go that route.

MORE INFO>>> https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...icator-229946/

The Light Assembly I had before was from an 86 and it has another plug my 88 didnt have. I figured it was for some option mine didnt have so didnt think much about it. The white plug is what I am talking about on an 86 in this picture.
Name:  LightSwitch86.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  21.6 KB

Today I got to looking at it (the white plug) and it runs to the wiper handle and I am guessing it is to the delay in the handle. So I then decided to see what I could do about my original Light assembly.

I took the Steering Wheel off. I have had mine off before and have it snug but not so tight I need a Steering Wheel Puller. If you havent had it off, dont bang on it as it will bulge the Steering shaft. Go rent a puller from the parts store. It is free.

You will need to drop the lower plastic panel and I diconnect the dimmer switch and just let it lay on the floor. Remove the Steering Wheel and the covers to the steering column.

There are 4 screws that hold the Light Switch Assembly on. They are recessed. Then disconnect the black clip that keeps all of the wire bundeled to the column and 2 screws that hold the blue connectors to the black tabs /clip.
Name:  LightBracket.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  19.4 KB

Once I had it off, I had to take 2 screw out that hold the hazard light switch to the assembly, and set it out of the way. I then had to remove the clear plastic cover so as I could use my wife finger nail file (yeah.. she liked that idea) and went over the little copper tips on the copper layers. Just a couple of times to help make a good clean contact. Then I hit with some WD-40.
Name:  Cleanedcontacts.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  20.2 KB

Here is a good picture of the contacts that need cleaned and more info if someone needs it.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...t-work-100088/

Put it back togther and everything works great. The 86 and 88 Light assemblys do have different part numbers on them and they interchanged and it got me thru. But it is nice having everything working as it should.

I did take my passenger kick panel off and didnt see a relay box there. Not saying it isnt, I just didnt want to pull the ECM and since I was able to test with a good wiper delay switch, I didnt need to go that far into it.

Found another link to a headlight problem I just wanted to add.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...icator-229946/

Here is how I fix my horn issue.
Got the horn to working. I used a .22 shell to make the contact to the steering wheel. I found this on Yotatech and like it better then how I used to fix my horns. I have it listed on my 88 4Runners build thread for more details about getting the horn to work on the first page. Will add this info at a later time.
Name:  Steves1.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  72.1 KB

Combo switch is around $40 at the boneyard here if you can find one. I just cleaned the contacts with some 1500 grit sand paper. Have it listed on the 88 runner build thread as well.
Name:  Steves2.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  113.0 KB
Old 09-05-2013, 06:03 PM

Alright thanks yall ill pass the info along to him