86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Head Or Timing Chain First?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 10:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Head Or Timing Chain First?

Well i was only planning on doing the timingchain but chewed up the headgasket on the top of the Tchain cover so get to so the whole thing right now its just the block heads of so is tchain... My question is what should i put together first, put the new timing chain set in? or the headgasket. Right now im thinking the timing cahin first ,but Im a little worried that if i put the timing cover back together before the head that it will be out of alignment when i put the head and cam back together...but dont wanna chew up another headgasket if i do the opposite... So what do all of you yota Guru's advise???
Old 10-26-2011, 10:17 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Download the FSM from the link in my sig.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:34 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
if you plan on doing the headgasket anyway, it's a lot easier to install the timing cover with the head off. however if you don't plan on changing the cover you can get away with slipping the cover under the head and trying not to mangle the head gasket. OR you can do crazy things like I did -- nip the head gasket flush with the block if you've already mangled it, and seal the large gap with some toyota seal packing. i'm not recommending you do this, and i take no responsibility for what happens. it's more of a last resort
Old 10-27-2011, 02:05 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by Jonzzer
Well i was only planning on doing the timingchain but chewed up the headgasket on the top of the Tchain cover so get to so the whole thing right now its just the block heads of so is tchain... My question is what should i put together first, put the new timing chain set in? or the headgasket. Right now im thinking the timing cahin first ,but Im a little worried that if i put the timing cover back together before the head that it will be out of alignment when i put the head and cam back together...but dont wanna chew up another headgasket if i do the opposite... So what do all of you yota Guru's advise???
see below

Originally Posted by ocdropzone
Download the FSM from the link in my sig.
this^^^

if you are gonna do the job...do it once, do it right. "THREAD B" in my sig is my adventure as a newbie novice. If I could do it, anyone could do it.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey 92 Toy Wow that is the best newbie help right there, The FSM always leave you guessing a bit. Luckily im doing it the easy way i have the motor out on a stand. I think ill do it the way you did, timing cover first then the head. How did you get the crank sprocket off, did you use a tool?
Old 10-27-2011, 01:05 PM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
nope....Ihave some pretty good pics of how to do it...but it was still in the truck
Old 10-27-2011, 01:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Timing cover first, then head. The link in my signature has some pics and chef did an awesome job pointing me in the right direction. I did it in the truck though.