Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Head Gasket Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 06:39 AM
WFO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Head Gasket Questions

Im buying a '91 4runner this weekend and it needs a head gasket. Its the 3.0 I was doing some research on here to see what all is involved in replacing the HG and it looks like everyone is rebuilding the motor while its open. Good idea but Im tryin to fix this on a budget. If the motor lasts a year Id be thrilled.

So can I get away with just replacing the gaskets or would I just be wasting time and money? The motor has 170 on the clock.
Old 03-22-2007, 06:44 AM

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Just do the HG. It does not require a rebuild I wouldn't think.

I think the issue might be that if you have the heads redone then they stress the tires bottom end.

Get your parts from Ted at engnbldr.com
Old 03-22-2007, 07:01 AM
WFO

Thanks
Anything I should be aware of before I start? How long should something like this take?
Old 03-22-2007, 07:05 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Are you sure you're not going to have to have the block & heads surfaced? If they are warped, new HG's aren't going to do a thing for you....
Old 03-22-2007, 07:11 AM

You will not know what else is going to need to be done until you get it apart.

It took me about 5 hours of work time in order to get to the head gaskets

You should look at my HG thread and Bumpin's thread and TNR's thread -- We are all in the middle/recently got done with head gaskets. We all started out with the intention of doing just the head gaskets.

EDIT*** HEAD BOLTS HAVE TO BE REPLACED****

You will need to buy the knock sensor wire - its 6 bucks

I recommend that you pull the oil pan and at least clean it out and look at the bearings -

You will know as soon as the heads come off if you have to go further into the shortblock. I had 106k on mine and had ZERO crosshatch left.

you should probably replace the water pump and thermostat unless you like punishment

Theres more, but read our threads - The three i mentioned above cover them all

Kat
Old 03-22-2007, 07:21 AM
WFO

Yeah I was just reading your thread Katie. But i didnt realize you had intentions of just replacing the head gasket. Im glad I asked this. I guess Ive got quite a bit more research to do.
Thanks
Old 03-22-2007, 07:24 AM

Yea, that was the original intention -- now we are well past that
Old 03-22-2007, 10:26 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Once you get the heads off, get a precision straight edge and a set of feeler guages, and check all the mounting surfaces to ensure that the heads aren't warped. Do the same to the block. The FSM details how to measure and the tolerances you're looking for. Only then will you know how much further you have to go.

Get the kit from Ted, which includes the head gaskets, all of the gaskets you'll need to put the top end of the engine back together, new valve seals (you'll need to make or buy tools to get those replaced, or get them done somewhere... I made a simple tool for my press to help me get the spring keepers out so that I could remove the valves), and new head bolts.

Like others mentioned, get a new knock sensor wire, and parts needed for your water pump and timing belt if they are due. Mine were done 25000 miles before I did my headgaskets, so I re-installed the old ones. It's not that big a job to do timing belt and water pump anyways. You'll also need a tube of FIPG gasket maker (I suggest "The Right Stuff" by permatex)
Old 03-22-2007, 10:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
call the dealer and have them run the vin if the head has not been done before you might be able to get them to do the recall on the head
Old 03-22-2007, 03:58 PM

I've got a 95 4Runner with a 3.0 with 159k miles. I did JUST the headgaskets, headbolts, t-belt and water pump over 3k miles ago and it runs great. A mechanic friend of mine told me that if you torque the heads down right if they are a little warped it will flatten them out. If the truck isn't running hot or anything you can probably get away with doing just the headgaskets. Most of the dealer recalls just replaced the headgaskets and don't send the heads out.
Old 03-23-2007, 09:30 AM
WFO

How long did it take you pruney? Im planning on a couple of weeks but I see some threads that are a couple of months long.
Old 03-23-2007, 11:10 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I'll jump in again with how long it took me. I worked just about 80 hours on mine in total from start to finish. I did it evenings and weekends over two weeks (my wife was starting to get annoyed at me... I was in the garage as much as I was at work for those two weeks).

Mind you, I had trouble with several nuts, bolts, studs being seized, which required me to cut some and break some, so every one I took apart, I ran taps & dies through to clean the threads, I also replaced the valve seals, cleaned the deposits from all the valves, and verified/adjusted the valve clearances, which took a bit of time, and fully cleaned both heads, which took a long time. I fully cleaned the intake plenum, throttle body and fuel injectors. I also painted some parts before putting them back on, and I cleaned the inside of my engine bay during that time also.
Old 03-23-2007, 11:25 AM

Well I did mine with a friend who is a Toyota tech and it took us abrund 12 hours. His boss let us do it at the shop where he works
Old 03-23-2007, 11:35 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by pruney81
I've got a 95 4Runner with a 3.0 with 159k miles. I did JUST the headgaskets, headbolts, t-belt and water pump over 3k miles ago and it runs great. A mechanic friend of mine told me that if you torque the heads down right if they are a little warped it will flatten them out. If the truck isn't running hot or anything you can probably get away with doing just the headgaskets. Most of the dealer recalls just replaced the headgaskets and don't send the heads out.
Uh...I'm not sure if I'd trust that info entirely. Many dealer recalls also failed when you think about it. If the head is warped beyond tolerance, having it resurfaced is not that much at all compared to the possibility of a repeat failure.

Yeah, check out the above mentioned threads for "what to do". Then, check out mine https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...t=embarrassing (and some other peoples threads.....littlerunner's for instance) for what NOT to do! There are some problems you could run into (just possibilities...not a definite), and within the threads there are solutions.

After reading this forum for a couple years now, I'd say the forum and it's registered members have covered the gammut of info on entire top end rebuild. It's in the bag for you. Just take your time.
Old 03-23-2007, 11:35 AM
WFO

So 12 - 80 hours. Thats quite a gap. Well im no Toyota tech and stuff always goes wrong when im around so ill plan on 100 hours.

I think im gonna go with the head gasket kit, which comes with all of the gaskets for the top end
New head bolts
New water pump, which also acts as the oil pump??
New timing belt
New knock sensor wire
And of course "the right stuff"

Am I forgetting anything?
Old 03-23-2007, 11:41 AM

A six pack...
Old 03-23-2007, 11:48 AM
WFO

You mean several
Old 03-23-2007, 11:48 AM

Check with a dealer and give them the VIN so they can see if it's under the recall. I just had my head gaskets replaced. The heads were warped and they replaced them free because of the recall. I got $4,500 dollars in parts and labor for free, all courtesy of Toyota.
Old 03-23-2007, 12:07 PM

Yes, do check that first! Then, you could have that six pack x several to celebrate. (BTW, I was trying to be optimistic you wouldn't need more...lol)
Old 03-23-2007, 12:09 PM
WFO

Yes monday im calling them (havent picked up the truck yet)
That sounds too good to be true. Ive been hearing that they dont like to do it now since its been so long since they sent out the recall notice. But hey definatly worth asking.

i was just looking through what i belive is the FSM and the water pump doesnt act as the oil pump also. Am I right??

Quick Reply: Head Gasket Questions