Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Head gasket and other issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 09:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Head gasket and other issues

Well this is my first post and its going to be a long one. I have an 87 truck, 2wd, 5spd, 22r/carb. About six years ago the coolant froze on a very cold night [4degrees] not enough antifreeze! When it thawed I started up the truck and coolant was dripping out of multiple places on the head. I let the truck sit till April this year. I pulled the plugs, sprayed oil in the cylinders, turned it over, sprayed quick start in the carb and it started up. Amazing! Water still leaked from the head and after I turned it off some water was in the oil and some oil was in the water. Tore the engine apart and had the head inspected and of course it was cracked in a few places. Bought a "new" head, bought an engine gasket kit from enginebldr.com and went to work.
Replaced the head and fixed most of the leaks, torqued the head to 65 pounds in 10lb increments in the right order. I would describe the block deck being in "very good" condition with only a few small pits around the ports after removing the head gasket material. I installed the head spraying the block side of the gasket with permatex copper coat, l let it set up for a few minutes, and then torqued the head. I then pressure tested the cooling system for leaks and found one large one from the plate on the bottom of the intake manifold, a few small ones where I capped the cooling system for pressure testing, and two on the drivers side of the engine coming out between the head and block! I did not use any copper coat on the head side. I have read to do this on this forum and so that is what I did. I have read many good things about enginebldr on this forum and I would not think they sold me a crummy gasket but after looking at it closely I think that they did. Its a Felpro and the holes for water travel from block to head are very small which would easly clog with the smallest of debris and cause an overheating problem in the future but I never got that far! The gasket was leaking from the head side, when I removed the bolts the head just lifted off. No adhesion at all.
OK, so much for the long winded description. The questions I have for anyone is:
What is the best head gasket to use? I have read that Toyota is the best but have also read about Rock, Victor, and this Felpro both good things and bad. Are there others? A bullet proof multi layer that is the best ever! Any ideas?
Any other ideas on how to check for a cracked block? I don't think mine is but I want to be certain before I drop it back into the truck. I don't want to lug it to an engine shop or take it apart. I figured pressure testing the cooling system would be the best way but others may have a few ideas too.
Any ideas on copper spray gasket or even I have read of the copper gasket material brushed on the head and block around the passages? I know most people have written to install the head gasket dry but I want to hear from those who have used some type of spray or gasket material in addition and your results. I am using the stock head bolts which are in very good condition and I really don't think that ARP studs are necessary. They worked for the first 125k miles and they look fine.
Any other ideas or suggestions? I know I probably did not list everything I have been going through, I kind of wish I would have just bought a running engine or maybe just have sold the truck by now.
This is not the first head gasket I have done, it is the first with an aluminum head though. All the cast iron ones Ford/chevy worked great with no problems and lasted until I sold the vehicle. I also installed them with copper coat which takes care of any little inperfections in the metal surface and creates a great bond.
I was thinking of contacting enginebldr and letting them know of the failure of the gasket. I know their kits used to have Rock head gaskets and now it has felpro. Do you think they know or even care?
Any advice/ suggestion will be appreciated. Thanks
Old 06-29-2012, 11:01 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
The best head gasket you can get is a factory toyota head gasket. As far as using the copper gasket spray, I don`t know my self, but maybe someone else will.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Come on guys/girls, inspire me here.