Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Head Gasket Help 22re

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 11:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Head Gasket Help 22re

I have a 89 single cab pickup 4x4 with a 22re with 235,000 mi and a rebuild 25k ago. About three weeks ago the truck was having trouble getting warm and the idle would surge occasionally untill it was at 1/3 on the gauge then the idle would settle out but the truck never got any warmer. So i changed the termostat, still nothing same surging and not getting warm. I then noticed some coolant leaking from the cap so i changed that figuring it was definatley the culprit for low coolant and maybe the air in the system causing the overcooling problem. While im at it i check the oil seams a little low so i take of the cap an bam there is milk under the cap, so i start the motor and pull the stick and to my horror a milkshake was on it. So i know its the head gasket and i start it up and for the first time since the overcooling smoke is pooring from the exhaust. Now my question is my shop said it would not be worth doing the head gasket because the bearings are most likely shot from the coolant and they said a long block kit is the best option but that is 3500 w/labor and they said its not worth it for this tuck. Ive been told that mabey just the head bolts need to be torqued and then i could flush the crankcase for around 100 myself, and then i should sell it cause the bearing will be no good. Any advice? thanks guys.
Old 04-05-2011, 06:56 PM

Your timing chain guides may have broken and the chain may have rubbed a hole in the front cover.

Check out this guys thread for lots of help
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...cement-212688/

I think your engine can be saved
Old 04-05-2011, 07:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you caught it early enough, replace the headgasket and plan on a front cover.

When I got my truck, it had a blown HG for about 6 months as the guy kept feeding it coolant. I replaced the usual junk and 500 miles later I picked up a slight rod knock. I pulled the pan and replaced the con rod bearings and now im 4000 miles into it and all is well.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:54 PM

Im gonna try torquing it and a flush and see what happens from there. I got a quote for 500 on the HG but i feel like the first shop was being honest saying its not worth it since the are gaining 0$ for doing so and letting me leave it there for a while. would torquing the bolts be an easy job for a novice mechanic?
Old 04-06-2011, 07:09 AM

So long as you have a torque wrench and the right pattern for torque. Then yeah itll be an easy thing to do.

While the valve cover is off look down at the timing chain guides and make sure there aren't broken
Old 04-06-2011, 07:25 AM

im starting that project today, if that doesnt work i think im gonna try a block seal and then sell it, i dont have the time to get into a project to big i just need a truck, hopefully a trd5vfe tacoma!
Old 04-06-2011, 07:26 AM

thanks again guys!
Old 04-06-2011, 08:04 AM

DON'T USE BLOCK SEAL!!

It is junk in the 22R engine. It will plug up your heater core and still not work. If you're gonna sell it either trade it in or be honest selling it privet party.

The only engine I have ever seen that block seal junk work on was an '87 Chevy 350. And that was leaking water OUT, not in. and the heater core is shot now. So don't use it on a 22R
Old 04-06-2011, 09:31 PM

I found a 2wd 22re for 700 so im think pricing out an engine swap. I read only the oil pan is different as long as its the same tranny. Im also just thinking of keeping my old motor and slowly learning as i build it into what i really want. Any one know what a swap should cost at a shop, and if a 2wd swap is that easy? oh and i have for sure decided to return the block seal i purchased. thanks for the advice hawkstrong. Do you know if any other parts from a 2wd would be good for my 4x4?
Old 04-07-2011, 08:43 AM

No prob. I made the mistake of using it and it just made things worse. Only after I used it I got on here and learned it was junk.

As far as I know the only thing you'll need from the 2wd is the engine. You can use the oil pan from the 4x4 truck. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think thats it.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:58 AM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Dude. Just change the headgasket
It'll take you two days at max, and not even that much money.
Old 04-07-2011, 09:10 AM

i thinks its been running with coolnt in it for weeks!! from what ive read thats not really good for long term, im hoping to swap it and rebuild this one for a nice learning expeirience
Old 04-07-2011, 09:32 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
i'm replacing all my stuff by myself. if you want, subscribe to my thread, and i'll be posting all of what i'm doing there (lots of pics, too!)
Old 04-15-2011, 12:24 PM

getting the head done at a shop for 500, and i think im gonna save for a new motor (22re performance) or a new truck. thanks for the help
Old 04-16-2011, 03:32 AM

This makes me lol.
Chances are, you didn't need to shave the head or anything. Waste of money.

A headgasket job is a weekend job, and 200 dollars...
Old 04-16-2011, 08:12 AM

im just doing the gasket, if i did my self id have to buy 200 in tools plus 200 in parts, so laugh it up but it my best option.
Old 04-16-2011, 04:36 PM

200 in tools? Try 30 for a 1/2 drive metric set from harbor freight, and a cheap torque wrench...
Old 04-16-2011, 10:37 PM

i have limited time in my day and have never done major engine work before. if i have to do it twice im out time and more money. i know what garage projects turn into(broken bolts and your friend whos helping loosin stuff and about as much money and more time/pain usually) and im not really in for that, plus 500 for a HG at a shop is pretty damn good.

oh and why would i want to buy a "cheap" torque wrench, a very important and percise tool.

and thanks again to all who posted helpful polite replies to my question
Old 04-17-2011, 02:35 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
not to encourage or discourage you but......

in my opinion....if you could get it done for $500....I'd do it. that's a helluva lot less than I was told....$1200 to $1400 or something like that.

for me, spending money of that amount was out of the question since there is rarely any extra $$$$ around and no lack of places where money needs to be spent 1st. BUT....because when my truck died, I bought a used car because I needed wheels immediately, it turned into a figure-this-out-for-myself kinda project....since ALL my extra money was spent.

I accumulated parts slowly.....I accumulated knowledge quickly via here and reading the manuals repeatedly. I had never embarked on such a project, so it turned into a HUGE learning experience for myself and my sons and certainly a great feeling of accomplishment when I got it done successfully.

so in re-reading this thread, I can't quite tell if you have the luxury, or not, of making this a drawn-out project like mine or if you need it on the road ASAP.

so right there, is a prohibitive factor....time.

skill.....if I could do it, anyone can......I had to buy the tools (not too many....and YES, a Harbor Freight torque wrench...if fact, 3 in total....1/4'',3/8'' and 1/2'' drive) and jack stands and lots of stuff I have listed. I don't like to borrow, so I would buy what I needed.....money spent on jack stands meant having to wait to buy other stuff.

so, in summary.....$500 sounds good to me and not so good to others. doing it for yourself is good on many aspects but prohibitive on others.

I had plenty of people razz me for taking so dang long on mine, and just plain old realized nobody knows me like i know me.....so with a few grains of salt and usually some sort of long-winded rebuttal like this and I would move ahead. there were days and weeks when I wouldn't even look at my truck.....for various reasons.

anyway....if you have the time read my thread referenced in my sig (THREAD "B") and also posted near the top of your thread and see that it's pretty good. if you have a week where you can listen to me whine alot, read THREAD "A".

otherwise,do what you are comfortable with.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:35 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by 92 TOY
not to encourage or discourage you but......

in my opinion....if you could get it done for $500....I'd do it. that's a helluva lot less than I was told....$1200 to $1400 or something like that.

for me, spending money of that amount was out of the question since there is rarely any extra $$$$ around and no lack of places where money needs to be spent 1st. BUT....because when my truck died, I bought a used car because I needed wheels immediately, it turned into a figure-this-out-for-myself kinda project....since ALL my extra money was spent.

I accumulated parts slowly.....I accumulated knowledge quickly via here and reading the manuals repeatedly. I had never embarked on such a project, so it turned into a HUGE learning experience for myself and my sons and certainly a great feeling of accomplishment when I got it done successfully.

so in re-reading this thread, I can't quite tell if you have the luxury, or not, of making this a drawn-out project like mine or if you need it on the road ASAP.

so right there, is a prohibitive factor....time.

skill.....if I could do it, anyone can......I had to buy the tools (not too many....and YES, a Harbor Freight torque wrench...if fact, 3 in total....1/4'',3/8'' and 1/2'' drive) and jack stands and lots of stuff I have listed. I don't like to borrow, so I would buy what I needed.....money spent on jack stands meant having to wait to buy other stuff.

so, in summary.....$500 sounds good to me and not so good to others. doing it for yourself is good on many aspects but prohibitive on others.

I had plenty of people razz me for taking so dang long on mine, and just plain old realized nobody knows me like i know me.....so with a few grains of salt and usually some sort of long-winded rebuttal like this and I would move ahead. there were days and weeks when I wouldn't even look at my truck.....for various reasons.

anyway....if you have the time read my thread referenced in my sig (THREAD "B") and also posted near the top of your thread and see that it's pretty good. if you have a week where you can listen to me whine alot, read THREAD "A".

otherwise,do what you are comfortable with.
^^^THAT IS A GREAT POST RIGHT THERE!!!^^^

Good luck MTyoda...hope everything works out whichever direction you decide to go.

Quick Reply: Head Gasket Help 22re