86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Having trouble IDing part

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 06:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Having trouble IDing part

Yesterday, pulling away from a light, my radiator fan disintegrated, taking out my power steering hose and my radiator hose. Now, I am having trouble figuring out what power steering hose is correct. I'll get a pic when I'm not busy, it its directly behind (bottom left) of the radiator, kinda goes in an arch.

Next frustrating thing is the fan, everyone local only has an electric cooling fan.
I found this one from parts geek:
http://www.partsgeek.com/ss/?i=1&ssq...741473&x=0&y=0

http://www.autozone.com/suspension-s...mString=search

Last edited by 128keaton; 09-03-2015 at 08:22 AM.
Old 09-03-2015, 09:56 AM

Another development, another forum user recommended I use the fan from the 94/95 4Runner instead of the 'ring-o-death' one. This one is at my AutoZone. Since there is no ring on this one, a new shroud is in order, mine never had one, as long as we've had it.

This car is a recovered claim. Some kid bought it in 93, ordered from the factory (JPY code, not MEX or whatever.). 3.0L 5-speed, power windows, everything. Kid wrecked it a year later, passenger side contacted a pole. The frame is permanently tweaked, but I have lifetime free alignment and balancing (thanks Firestone, you are really paying out the butt for that). I think in the reman process, they just didn't replace the shroud, because surely the rad/fan/shroud was destroyed. The engine has been rebuilt twice, once by Toyota themselves (recall on the 3VZE 3.0L that ate head gaskets) and then by my father years later. Goes to show its really hard to kill a Toyota.

Last edited by 128keaton; 09-03-2015 at 10:20 AM.
Old 09-03-2015, 12:35 PM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
Well, before you take the pictures, you might want to shoot on some spray degreaser and use a garden hose. You'll definitely want to do that before you start working on it, unless you're a whole lot more tolerant of greasy hands than I am.

It looks like you have the anti-lock brakes; here's the drawing of all the parts:
http://www.toyotapartsoverstock.com/...rimLevel=18292 The tube in an "arch" is probably one of the return hoses, and note that the part number varies by the body style.

I've heard that the shroud makes a big difference in cooling. If you live where it never gets really hot, and (more importantly) you're never stuck in traffic, maybe it doesn't matter. I'd get a new one if I could find one. http://www.toyotapartsoverstock.com/...rimLevel=18292
Old 09-03-2015, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by scope103
Well, before you take the pictures, you might want to shoot on some spray degreaser and use a garden hose. You'll definitely want to do that before you start working on it, unless you're a whole lot more tolerant of greasy hands than I am.

It looks like you have the anti-lock brakes; here's the drawing of all the parts:
http://www.toyotapartsoverstock.com/...rimLevel=18292 The tube in an "arch" is probably one of the return hoses, and note that the part number varies by the body style.

I've heard that the shroud makes a big difference in cooling. If you live where it never gets really hot, and (more importantly) you're never stuck in traffic, maybe it doesn't matter. I'd get a new one if I could find one. http://www.toyotapartsoverstock.com/...rimLevel=18292
Thats what I am doing now, and attempting to remove the fan without removing the radiator (or damaging the fins too much). This is the part thats been damaged (in red)

which leads me to believe that this is the part.

As for the shroud, like I said, we've never had one, but since the new fan doesn't have a ring, I might need to look into getting a shroud. This car was in Texas (traffic galore) and then Tennessee (now, with traffic.) Plenty hot and plenty of traffic, never seemed to go above halfway on the temp gauge.

If anyone has tips for removing the rad fan, I'd sure appreciate it.

Last edited by 128keaton; 09-03-2015 at 12:49 PM.
Old 09-03-2015, 12:53 PM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
You have to remove the upper radiator hose to remove the fan; and you have to drain (most) of the coolant to do that. That only leaves the lower hose (since you don't have an automatic transmission cooler); I'd just remove that and take the radiator out. That will give you a chance to give it a good look (blowing up a fan often throws junk into the radiator), and it will make everything else easier.

The hose you've marked is a low-pressure return line. While I'm a big fan of getting exactly the right part, if push comes to shove I'll bet the right size fuel line would work fine. Only you can assess whether it bends so sharply that you really want a molded hose.
Old 09-03-2015, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by scope103
You have to remove the upper radiator hose to remove the fan; and you have to drain (most) of the coolant to do that. That only leaves the lower hose (since you don't have an automatic transmission cooler); I'd just remove that and take the radiator out. That will give you a chance to give it a good look (blowing up a fan often throws junk into the radiator), and it will make everything else easier.

The hose you've marked is a low-pressure return line. While I'm a big fan of getting exactly the right part, if push comes to shove I'll bet the right size fuel line would work fine. Only you can assess whether it bends so sharply that you really want a molded hose.

Since the upper hose blew, most of the coolant is out, I have a replacement part lined up already. I ended up removing the clutch (4 12mm nuts, broke two though), that made it easy. The radiator looks ok, no holes or bad rad bends, I got lucky I guess. Since this is my one and only car, I cannot get to work (30 mins away) so a whole rad removal isn't the best thing.

I'm very glad its a low pressure line, nothing too bad then. I'll check on auto zone for the part, if not, then its a fuel line .

EDIT: Autozone has three, all the same 3/8in size, gonna just get the 2ft for $2, http://www.autozone.com/suspension-s...01_11638_1230/

Last edited by 128keaton; 09-03-2015 at 01:36 PM.
Old 09-03-2015, 05:09 PM

its all back together and working, I'm considering ordering a shroud, but the needle didn't move past the temp emblem, just like it did with the old fan.

Summary for people coming in from Google:

A 94/95 fan will bolt right on to the clutch.

3/8 inch hose works great, AutoZone's official replacement part is 12" of 3/8" tubing.

If you messed up your Water Pump/Fan clutch nuts, they are M8 1.25 nuts at your local AutoZone.

Total cost:
$89 - Fan, nuts, Antifreeze, Power Steering fluid, and hose.

Easiest 'major' fix so far.