86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Has Anyone Seen This Before?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 12:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has Anyone Seen This Before?

I came across this truck for sale. Ive never seen one with the big xtra cab. It's fiberglass, a little rough but pretty cool IMO. The plate on the door says 12/85 which I guess makes it an 86? It's IFS so that's my guess.

I envision a really cool SAS'd rig but it's a little pricey as is.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 04-08-2012, 12:40 PM

its a rare rig , it looks like a trekker conversion from winnebago would be my guess
Old 04-08-2012, 12:51 PM

its called a customcab, it was a conversion you could get in the 80's, kinda fugly without a big topper on back IMO. i've seen one in my area for sale recently that was a Toyota extra cab WITH this longer cab on it, so it had 3 windows...
Old 04-08-2012, 01:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
looks like one of these things....

Old 04-08-2012, 01:21 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
My buddy made his own... WELL< he actually made his 85 into a Trekker... It was a long bed to begin with, and Snug Top worked with him to make special side double lock latch doors.... It was SICK! I see those, in that pic, in Los Angeles, quite often... I"ve seen at least 5 in the last couple years, all different. Depends on your application, man..... Gonna have QUITE a long wheelbase, ya? lol.... I've seen a couple with the shell that was mentioned, even with the top of the add on, 4wd, lifted quite a bit on one of them.... it was indeed nice! But when I asked him(in the Pick-Your-Part parking lot) "Do you like it?", ... he said, "Yes and no... it's limiting on trails and stuff I can get down, due to length... But all in all it's great. I have too much money into it, to be honest.... Just to get this thing up 6" and 35's on it... wasn't cheap. His was SAS and he'd estimated he'd put 12G's into it or so.

WHY NOT, right? lol.
Old 04-08-2012, 05:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
its a customcab. a company that cut and extended the frame for it. i think there still a company that does it today
Old 04-08-2012, 05:58 PM

Thanks for the info guys, I may try and research it now that I some sort of direction as to what this is. From looking under it the frame was obviously stretched with a full box so it looks stout.
It also was pretty rough overall.....not a ton of rust but it needed new fenders and the lower bed panels massaged quite a bit, oh and the interior was pretty bad too. Didn't get a chance to hear it run.....all in all its got potential.

Chef the guy you were talking to sounds like he built it into pretty much exactly what I was thinking......but the $$ wrapped up in it ouch man! Crazy that you see a handful of these around on a regular basis I've never seen one in my area. I'm sure the longer wheelbase would be a bit prohibitive on some trails but more expedition vehicle and less hard core crawler would be more my style. BTW: Your 4runr is sweet dude.

$3,500 seems steep though for this truck.
Old 04-08-2012, 06:11 PM

Thanks for the info guys, I may try and research it now that I some sort of direction as to what this is. From looking under it the frame was obviously stretched with a full box so it looks stout.
It also was pretty rough overall.....not a ton of rust but it needed new fenders and the lower bed panels massaged quite a bit, oh and the interior was pretty bad too. Didn't get a chance to hear it run.....all in all its got potential.

Chef the guy you were talking to sounds like he built it into pretty much exactly what I was thinking......but the $$ wrapped up in it ouch man! Crazy that you see a handful of these around on a regular basis I've never seen one in my area. I'm sure the longer wheelbase would be a bit prohibitive on some trails but more expedition vehicle and less hard core crawler would be more my style. BTW: Your 4runr is sweet dude.

$3,500 seems steep though for this truck.
Old 04-08-2012, 07:22 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Just to get this thing up 6" and 35's on it... wasn't cheap. His was SAS and he'd estimated he'd put 12G's into it or so.

Not gonna cost any more to lift then a standard cab. No difference in suspension just longer.
Old 04-08-2012, 07:26 PM

3500$??? IMHO... FWIW>>>> HECKKKKKKKKKKKKK NO! lol. I just saw one in L.A. for 2K$.... CLEAN AS HECK compared to that, inside and out. It had no lift and nothing special, but it was clean and he'd redone some things.... 3500$??? That's nuts, IMHO.. I see 27 Foot Dolphins(Toyota Motor homes) for around that price, with full on living quarters.... One I just saw for 2750$ with a Carfax verified 58K miles on it! I would have grabbed it but can't park those on the street, where I live, too long.... ya know?
Old 04-08-2012, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by ThatGuy1295
Not gonna cost any more to lift then a standard cab. No difference in suspension just longer.
No, I know... but he had to go 6" to get it where he wanted for clearing things due to wheelbase, and he went with a pretty expensive lift kit and new hardware, etc... But, I really meant the costs he got into it all started with the SAS, ....then 35MT's.... then customizing the inside... then lifting it, etc. He didn't appear in that quick meeting to be a "HUGE" DIY'er, ya know? BTW, he had a SICK sound system... All I did was hear it and see some of it... but it was VERY clean/while loud as well. I'm sure that put him back a bit too. Heck, if you spend 12K on something that YOU LOVE, ....why should it hurt so bad, right? lol. Probably cuz he didn't do much of it himself?

Totally understand what you're saying.
Old 04-08-2012, 07:45 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
yep theres a few on craigslist every other month
Old 04-08-2012, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by basr5
its a rare rig , it looks like a trekker conversion from winnebago would be my guess
winnebago made the extension?? No way, man that is cool in itself