Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Has anybody rolled trying to pull you out?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 03:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anybody rolled trying to pull you out?

I feel like a bag of ass.

Went down to my usual area at the beach. Pulled down a trail a bit too far, ended up sliding a bit down one side so I had to pull farther ahead to try to straighten out and ended up in an even worse situation. I was calling people looking for a long enough rope to get me out and my brother came down with a friend in a Blazer. He pulled right down to the iffy spot I was originally sliding down at and was trying to yank me out from there...and then it happened.

Where I was stuck:

Where he ended up:

Old 05-10-2009, 03:36 PM
RMA
Contributing Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Live and Learn I geuss .
Dude was alright though, right?

Last edited by waskillywabbit; 05-10-2009 at 05:55 PM. Reason: Inappropriate Language removed
Old 05-10-2009, 03:40 PM

Yeah, he was fine. Crawled out of the truck, grabbed a soda and a cigarette and had a few laughs about it. The truck was paid off and he was an insurance agent so luckily he had full coverage. I still can't believe it happened.
Old 05-10-2009, 03:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So the dude in the blazer fell off that spot behind your truck and rolled?

Last edited by waskillywabbit; 05-10-2009 at 05:57 PM.
Contributing Member

Wow.. that sucks dude. Hope everyone was alright.
RMA
Contributing Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Is that the cops in the water, did anybody get a ticket for whatever.
Old 05-10-2009, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Tubbyfatty
So the dude in the blazer fell off that spot behind your truck and rolled?

Yeah,he was parked on the spot like ~12 feet behind me and we unhooked him because he was losing his grip trying to pull me. He was trying to straighten out and last thing I heard him say was "It's looking a bit ty on my side" and then he straightened out, gunned it and started sliding and it was all over. I'm still in shock.

Last edited by waskillywabbit; 05-10-2009 at 05:57 PM.
Old 05-10-2009, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by RMA
Is that the cops in the water, did anybody get a ticket for whatever.

Yeah, cops were all over it, but they left as soon as they realized the tow trucks were already on the way and the truck wasn't leaking anything in the water. They were just watching the show from the water.
Old 05-10-2009, 03:57 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Holy! That sucks.... Live and learn I suppose glad to hear he was okay. And that it was a stock vehicle!(not much sentemental value?)
Old 05-10-2009, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Jay351
Holy! That sucks.... Live and learn I suppose glad to hear he was okay. And that it was a stock vehicle!(not much sentemental value?)
He's had it for years and has used it to pull out tons of vehicles before. He said he was thinking about getting a new one, but was planning on keeping that one. He wants to buy it back from insurance, take a sawzall to it and make it off-road only.
Old 05-10-2009, 04:07 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Man... I know the guy was in a Chevy but still doesn't deserve that. All that was really needed was a 10' strap and him to come up on the right of you (turning left in towards you) then back up.
WOW.
Old 05-10-2009, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by abecedarian
Man... I know the guy was in a Chevy but still doesn't deserve that. All that was really needed was a 10' strap and him to come up on the right of you (turning left in towards you) then back up.
WOW.

I know the pictures really suck and you can't tell what's going on there, but there really wasn't much room to go either way. The left tire was on the edge and the right tire was on the edge. I told them to bring like 50ft of rope to pull me from where it was safe and so they didn't have to pull from where I was at. He thought he had it and it looked like an easy pull, but.....they were laughing at me when they pulled up because it looked so simple.

I saw a Jeep a while back that had selectable hubs in the rear and I swear if I could have just unlocked my driver rear tire I would have been able to pull out no problem. Everytime the driver side spun I slid farther down the hill. If I didn't have a locker it would have been even worse though.
Old 05-10-2009, 04:21 PM

hahaha
Old 05-10-2009, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by pepsibluefloat
hahaha

Meh, most people don't think it's funny when other people roll.

Last edited by Justinlhc; 05-10-2009 at 04:27 PM.
Old 05-10-2009, 04:27 PM

If you look at the first image, if he'd have steered right (not leaving the bare dirt) then left to line up with you, putting the front of his truck behind yours but to the right, a strap on you to his bumper and then he backs up retracing his steps. You'd have had to steer right (since your front end would've slid left a bit) then quickly steer back left so you follow him and it'd all been fine. All he'd have had to do is get behind you (as close to directly behind you as possible) and then back up out of the spot.
Anyone knows that if you're pulling someone up a hill you want to be as far to the other side as possible.
I might make some pics to show what I mean.

Still, sad to see a truck roll, no matter what it is.
Old 05-10-2009, 04:30 PM

If you look at the first image, if he'd have steered right (not leaving the bare dirt) then left to line up with you, putting the front of his truck behind yours but to the right, a strap on you to his bumper and then he backs up retracing his steps. You'd have had to steer right (since your front end would've slid left a bit) then quickly steer back left so you follow him and it'd all been fine. All he'd have had to do is get behind you (as close to directly behind you as possible) and then back up out of the spot.
Anyone knows that if you're pulling someone up a hill you want to be as far to the other side as possible.
I might make some pics to show what I mean.

Still, sad to see a truck roll, no matter what it is.

lol I know it's easy to type on the internet, but you really can't tell what was going on by those 3 crappy pictures. The hill had a slant to it and both sides were soft. I know you could have pulled it out blindfolded and bare-footed while talking on the phone, but we can't all be that good.

If he would have "just steered right" he would have been too far to the right and slid down that side instead. There were only a few inches you could go to the left or the right on the path. It wasn't safe to tow from there.

Last edited by Justinlhc; 05-10-2009 at 04:32 PM.
Old 05-10-2009, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Justinlhc
lol I know it's easy to type on the internet, but you really can't tell what was going on by those 3 crappy pictures. The hill had a slant to it and both sides were soft. I know you could have pulled it out blindfolded and bare-footed while talking on the phone, but we can't all be that good.

If he would have "just steered right" he would have been too far to the right and slid down that side instead. There were only a few inches you could go to the left or the right on the path. It wasn't safe to tow from there.
lol. seems what I'm saying isn't making sense.

I've been in the same situation with tractors and never lost one over the edge. But there's no point in arguing. He should've been very close behind you so there's no room for straps to let you go too far. And he should be oriented towards pulling you up. Your front end would've slid to the left as you started to move backwards which is why I said for you to steer right (so the front end would go left) then steer left (so the front end would go right... up the hill) when your front end caught traction.
But it takes two- you should've been in gear and backing up, even if in 4 low, so you can control your vehicle and not rely on him to pull you straight.
And now it seems like I'm an armchair quarterback.

Everyone survived... that's what ultimately matters.

Last edited by abecedarian; 05-10-2009 at 04:42 PM.
Old 05-10-2009, 04:55 PM

I wanna know where you were trying to go? It looks from here that all around it is water like a peninsula?
Old 05-10-2009, 05:11 PM

lol. seems what I'm saying isn't making sense.

I've been in the same situation with tractors and never lost one over the edge. But there's no point in arguing. He should've been very close behind you so there's no room for straps to let you go too far. And he should be oriented towards pulling you up. Your front end would've slid to the left as you started to move backwards which is why I said for you to steer right (so the front end would go left) then steer left (so the front end would go right... up the hill) when your front end caught traction.
But it takes two- you should've been in gear and backing up, even if in 4 low, so you can control your vehicle and not rely on him to pull you straight.
And now it seems like I'm an armchair quarterback.

Everyone survived... that's what ultimately matters.
Well it was our first time off-road ever in our lives so we were just wingin it. I had the engine off, in gear with the e-brake on, 60psi in the tires, he had his truck in 2hi with 75psi in the tires and we both turned the wheels all the way to the right and went for it. It was obvious a Geo Metro could have pulled me out with a missing sparkplug and 2 flat tires, but we wanted to make it harder than it needed to be.
Old 05-10-2009, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by yotawheelin95
I wanna know where you were trying to go? It looks from here that all around it is water like a peninsula?
There are beach areas all over down there. I always take the dogs down and let them run around the beach.
Like this:

Last edited by Justinlhc; 05-10-2009 at 05:16 PM.

Quick Reply: Has anybody rolled trying to pull you out?