Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Hard Steering

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 03:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hard Steering

Hello there,
Im sorry if this is a repeat thread, feel free to direct me to one if already available.

I recently have been having issues with my steering, I can make turns but it dosnt turn back on its own after a turn like usual. I cant think of anything that I have done or messed with in that area. I have had a squeaky belt but they are all attached and tight.
The day I noticed had just put new plugs and wires and wanted to go for a test drive and that's when I noticed. I went to a mechanic but they seemed busy and couldn't give me a definitive answer(which I understand since I wasn't a paying customer haha). Anyway the kid said he sorta might think is the steering dampener. He said that it might be in a bind. idk. Thoughts please. Oh yea, I put in an aftermarket steering wheel also. but I don't think that's the problem. Thanks all.

Last edited by keithbrents; 03-01-2015 at 03:20 AM.
Old 03-01-2015, 05:23 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Well start by getting the truck off the ground so both front wheels are in the air.

Doing this in a safe manor Jack stands under the frame where they won`t interfere with the full range of the wheels turning.

With the weight off it should turn easier but you should be able to feel what is binding.

Look for anything bent or rubbing.

Pray tell did this start when the new steering wheel was installed??

If not just when did it start??

Hit anything big pot hole Rough train tracks?? A tree??
Old 03-01-2015, 05:31 AM

Well I had the steering wheel on before and took it off to straighten the look of it, not the rotation of it. It did start getting stiff after I reinstalled it. but I dnt know how the steering wheel would effect it. I haven't hit anything too crazy. No bit potholes for sure no trees.
Old 03-01-2015, 10:29 AM

Well after messing with the steering wheel again. Its sees like it loosens when I loosen the middle bolt. But it makes me nervous thinking that its going to pop extra loose while driving, then crash and burn.
Old 03-01-2015, 11:58 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
That's not normal.

When you put the wheel back on did you have any parts leftover like a washer or spacer?

Could you have installed anything facing the wrong direction?

You might want to take it back apart and examine the parts and how they are installed.
Old 03-02-2015, 12:40 AM

Red face

I wonder if this is a aftermarket wheel maybe missing a spacer or adapter needed for your application .

Do you have the horn kit as well??

Could be you just over tightened the wheel the splines hold it in place the only way it will come off is pulling it towards you most times it takes a puller to get it off.
Old 03-02-2015, 03:14 AM

Yea I don't think its the wheel. After My last post I drove home from work and unfortunately it was as stiff as it was when I posted the problem. Im not sure why It had that moment of normal turning but it has stopped again. Next I think Im going to replace the LBJ and see if that's the problem. Has anyone changed the rack or the gear box? If so, what is the difficulty? I like to work on my own truck to a degree.
Old 03-02-2015, 05:48 AM

Red face

Do what you will keep changing parts you might get lucky.

Why not just change out the whole steering linkage .

It could even be a bad bearing in the steering column .

Good luck I am sure you will get the right part sooner or later.
Old 03-02-2015, 07:04 AM

I might just have to do that. Even if I do fix the problem sooner then later, I will probably just keep replacing linkage parts as long as my budget permits me too. One piece at a time.
Old 03-03-2015, 11:47 AM

Has anyone had experience with ball joints causing hard turning. I mean this thing WILL NOT turn back on its own. I really hope it is somthing minor like this or a tie rod or something similar, not a rack or motor.
Old 03-03-2015, 03:06 PM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
Originally Posted by wyoming9
Do what you will keep changing parts you might get lucky....
Originally Posted by keithbrents
I might just have to do that. ...
keithbrents - You DO understand that wyoming9 is being sarcastic to make a point, don't you?

You replaced the steering wheel with an aftermarket one, and THEN it got hard to steer. You even confirmed that loosening one of the bolts you put in solves the problem. And yet, you're thinking it's the ball joints? Or steering damper? (BTW, NOT dampener)

Re-check your assembly. http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b.../4steering.pdf From what you've said, your problem is caused by how you installed the new wheel.

And while you're at it, don't pay any attention to "the kid said he sorta might think" when you're not even paying him.
Old 03-04-2015, 06:06 AM

Actually I didn't feel like he was even if that was his intention, because I was thinking the exact same thing. Also Im sure its not the aftermarket steering wheel. Ive taken it back off and reinstalled it and still stiff steering so there, there goes that. And after searching more I found a similar thread where a Guy had the exact same problem and guess what it was.......the Ball Joints. imagine that. Im not a mechanic so im not just going off a hunch. I need to replace most of the linkage anyway so its not a bad Idea to do so. Sorry about not getting the name of the damper. Am I still aloud to post of here.

BTW that diagram dosnt show me anything. I have never touched anything below the steering wheel and I had the aftermarket wheel on for a couple months before I took it back off.

Last edited by keithbrents; 03-04-2015 at 06:11 AM.