Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Hanneman 4" F/T Fenders install

Old 04-12-2010, 10:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hanneman 4" F/T Fenders install

Got my 4 inch flat top fenders last weekend from hannemann fiberglass. I got them on the day I was leaving to Chico, for the CSU Orientation, so I was pretty bummed I had to wait. I didn't even have time to open the box , but Chico was a nice place.

Anyways, when we got back, I got started right away.

Close-up of inside

Upright

Removing Stock fenders:

Remove corner light, just unscrew two screws and pop them out.

Remove bolts holding fender:

Behind the door

Near the pinch weld

The inner fender guard

The two bolts in the front, next to the word Toyota

And of course the top

For me, the fenders wouldn't come off unless I took a flathead screwdriver and pried the metal apart where the bolt was nearest to the hood hinges.

Also, I didn't mod the new fender for my antenna. I was in a hurry because it was getting dark, plus I never listen to the radio anyways. Probably will get one later though.

New fender install:

I started with the left fender, and it fit almost perfectly. It was really easy to install, I just eyeballed where the holes were and drilled holes. Then bolted them up.

Hardest part, IMO, were the corner lights. Basically, you get the old mounting points from the old fenders and put them in the new fenders as accurate as you can.

I think its hard because the fenders aren't perfect and you have to adjust the corner lights to match with both grille and fender.

The right fender though...... I tried to get it in sync with the truck body, but it was almost impossible. I spent hours trying to get all the bolts in, but either they were to short or there were no fiberglass in the area to bolt to the body. Ended up finally using zip ties. It didn't end up too bad though.

I managed to pull the grille out a little to match the right fender.

Yep, money well spent.

$521 for those wonderin. That's with tax and shipping to eureka, ca and they charged me for the box and bubblewrap.

I think Hannemann makes a good product, fenders seem durable, and are lightweight. I'm not sure about the right fender though, I knew no fenders were perfect, but somethin was up with that. Might have been my bad fiberglass install skills. Still, I'm happy.

Last edited by cr@ves4wheelin; 07-01-2010 at 01:57 PM.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good writeup and pics.

Any idea how much weight was saved?
Old 04-12-2010, 10:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sick lookin truck
Old 04-12-2010, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by Mountain Cop
Good writeup and pics.

Any idea how much weight was saved?
The stock fenders are light too, so I don't think that there's that much difference in weight.

Originally Posted by Cwake
sick lookin truck
Thanks
Old 04-12-2010, 11:04 PM

*Throw some sort of alarm and kill switch setup onto that truck or it'll end up like almost every other nice Toyota in Chico, stolen, ripped apart and tossed aside either in Paradise or Folsom. better yet, leave it at your parents house and get rides back and forth when the need arises, don't take that up there, I speak from experience. If you're in the Dorms, do not trust any of the parking to actually be patrolled. Ask the p.d. or your insurance company for a theft report/review if you don't believe me.
Old 04-12-2010, 11:33 PM

Thanks KelleyC, I'll figure somethin out.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:43 AM

Those fenders look great, dont worry about the right one, just rock it!

As for keeping the truck in the parking lot, there are a few threads on here with ideas on how to rig up starter kills or fuel pump kill switches if you can't afford the alarm or in addition to them! You can also do things like pull the coil wire and a few plug wires if your not going to drive for a few days (I do that whenever i'm going to be out of town for a few days to all my cars). Taking something like the major fuses will also serve as an annoyance and time delay for some theives that will make your truck less attractive.
Old 04-13-2010, 02:06 PM

Thanks Limon32,
I actually used to have an alarm and electric door locks on my rig for a while, but the alarm ended being a POS and the system didn't have all the wires for the locks to work properly.
I'll add an alarm to the list to do before I go to Chico. My engines leaking oil, hopefully only from the oil pan, so thats on the list as well lol
Old 04-13-2010, 02:09 PM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
so wait... the fiberglass fenders didn't fit right? I need to replace one of mine on my 4runner, so i was thinking of getting the hood w/ scoop and fenders from hanneman.
Old 04-13-2010, 02:25 PM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
fenders look great! However, i have never delt with henneman, but i have done some fiberglassing with import body kits ect, and i have learned even thought they are bolt on, you still need to do some fabracation to make them fit "oem" style, wether it be trimming (corner lights) sanding to smooth edges or even adding fiberglass (for the bolts that had no glass to bolt on to) IMO there is alot of work and money that goes into fiberglassing, but it def looks great! I dont know how those will hold up to a good whacking from a branch on the trail though! Great job and i hope to see the matching hood
Old 04-13-2010, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by MaK92-4RnR
so wait... the fiberglass fenders didn't fit right? I need to replace one of mine on my 4runner, so i was thinking of getting the hood w/ scoop and fenders from hanneman.
I've read that no fiberglass fenders are gonna be perfect, but they should be a close fit. I was just sharing my experience with installing them. The left fender was almost perfect and the right fender wasn't so perfect, but ended up still looking good.

Originally Posted by OrRunner
fenders look great! However, i have never delt with henneman, but i have done some fiberglassing with import body kits ect, and i have learned even thought they are bolt on, you still need to do some fabracation to make them fit "oem" style, wether it be trimming (corner lights) sanding to smooth edges or even adding fiberglass (for the bolts that had no glass to bolt on to) IMO there is alot of work and money that goes into fiberglassing, but it def looks great! I dont know how those will hold up to a good whacking from a branch on the trail though! Great job and i hope to see the matching hood
Thanks OrRunner
Old 04-13-2010, 02:50 PM

Henneman usually has very good products, your mis-alignment issue is leading me to think there has been previous collision work done. plus you are right, all fiberglass fenders will need some alignment work.
Old 04-13-2010, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by yotaman85
Henneman usually has very good products, your mis-alignment issue is leading me to think there has been previous collision work done. plus you are right, all fiberglass fenders will need some alignment work.
I think Hannemann makes good products too, and for those reading this thread, I'm not tryin to bash on them or anything. Just explainin what happened and what I did. Honestly, it could've been my fault cuz that was my first time workin with fiberglass. The ending result was very satisfying for me.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by cr@ves4wheelin
Thanks Limon32,
I actually used to have an alarm and electric door locks on my rig for a while, but the alarm ended being a POS and the system didn't have all the wires for the locks to work properly.
I'll add an alarm to the list to do before I go to Chico. My engines leaking oil, hopefully only from the oil pan, so thats on the list as well lol
If your going to go with an alarm, go ahead and put in the valet switch but add a second switch somewhere else and use it as a fuel pump cutoff, that way if (or when rather) they find the valet switch they will still not be able to start the truck and hopefully be so frustrated move one.

Just a thought any how.
Old 04-14-2010, 05:57 AM

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts
nice! after seeing the pics, i wish i would have gone with the flat top fenders instead of the normal 3'' ones. if i can find a set cheap that are in good shape i might just pick them up now.
Old 04-14-2010, 10:17 AM

nice write up i love mine 4 years with no problems

Old 04-14-2010, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by norcalsvx
nice write up i love mine 4 years with no problems
nice truck norcalsvx
Old 04-15-2010, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by cr@ves4wheelin
nice truck norcalsvx
thanks ,its for sale $3500

Last edited by norcalsvx; 04-15-2010 at 06:16 PM.
Old 04-15-2010, 07:43 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Cool fenders, Im a little disappointed in the fit and finish to be honest tho... The gaps look all wrong...

And on most of the hanneman fenders ive seen the corner lights never line up...
Old 04-16-2010, 06:38 AM

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts
*hijack* norcal, how do you like the hella 500's?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hanneman 4" F/T Fenders install