86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

handling in the snow

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 08:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
handling in the snow

I'm surprised at how well this truck did in the snow this morning. I have crappy tires (i'm due to get more in a week or two).

I did slide out of control when I was going really slow and making a sharp right turn, but other than that I'm, pretty pleased. I drive like a granny, 35mph in a 55mph zone when it's icey and snowy. What limits have you been able to push your trucks to? What can they tolerate in the snow and ice?
Old 12-04-2008, 08:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
65 in a 55 driving on snow and ice

BFG AT's
Old 12-04-2008, 09:24 AM

This is how well i handled in the snow last year.

http://video.google.com/googleplayer...&hl=en&fs=true

Needless to say after I was done that day. That parking lot was clean.

Last edited by Gokumono; 12-04-2008 at 09:27 AM.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:26 AM

60mph on I-90 in lake effect snows. I stopped cold when I hit a 2 foot drift, though. I had stock duelers from a '95 that I swapped onto my old 86.

Keep in mind, I was 19 at the time and would never be that stupid again. It was fun, though.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I used to plow my own street in Big Bear with the skid plate, no plow and stock height 93 runner 4wd, no chains. That was after a 3-4 foot storm. I was impressed. No plows came back there.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:42 AM

This is what snow looks like.

Old 12-04-2008, 10:23 AM

Wow. These things are snow monsters. My last 4x4 (which I still regret selling) was a small suzuki sidekick, the 4 door model. It was great in the snow, though I couldn't ever take it snow drifting. It just didn't cooperate.

This thing is pretty stable, i feel safe in it.

Jason 191918, were you able to get out of that deep snow? Or did you have to shovel your way out?

The last winter I was here (was out of the country last year, so this was the year before) I remember I was shoveling out my sidekick and I was almost out. I made a nice path and was going to back out. I went inside to change my socks and the plow guy came through again and burried me in...AGAIN!!! It was in a deep situation like in that second picture.
Old 12-04-2008, 10:28 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My favorite snow pic ...

It takes about that much snow to stop my truck! Of course, then it takes a lot of digging and winching to un-stop it!
Old 12-04-2008, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by DupermanDave
Wow. These things are snow monsters. My last 4x4 (which I still regret selling) was a small suzuki sidekick, the 4 door model. It was great in the snow, though I couldn't ever take it snow drifting. It just didn't cooperate.

This thing is pretty stable, i feel safe in it.

Jason 191918, were you able to get out of that deep snow? Or did you have to shovel your way out?

The last winter I was here (was out of the country last year, so this was the year before) I remember I was shoveling out my sidekick and I was almost out. I made a nice path and was going to back out. I went inside to change my socks and the plow guy came through again and burried me in...AGAIN!!! It was in a deep situation like in that second picture.
The first pic is my truck and I didn't get stuck that day (that was the last day of NOVEMBER last year).

The second pic is a buddy of mine who needed a lil tug to get out.
Old 12-04-2008, 12:03 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You'd struggle to lift a show shovel of this stuff. It was very wet and turned to ice if you spun the tires. It only took the depth of the hiegh to the diff to stop me. All terrains, no locker at the time.

Old 12-04-2008, 06:07 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
ah i cant wait to try 4x4in in the snow!!
Old 12-05-2008, 12:44 AM
SR5

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
speaking of, WATTORA is having a snow run on december 27
anyone in WA should come
Old 12-05-2008, 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by SR5
speaking of, WATTORA is having a snow run on december 27
anyone in WA should come
DAng, Wish I lived down there. that would make a fun birthday..day...

I used to always run 70-80 on the ice/snow on my way to school...that wasn't too smart though. Never had any bad incidents besides almost hitting a moose......or 6......
Old 12-07-2009, 07:25 AM

Got another winter driving question. I was reading this link http://www.fixya.com/cars/t596049-4wd_low_4wd_high

The guy with the long paragraphs seems to know what he's talking about, but he says, " It engages the front wheels, and keeps the same
overall gearing as with 2wd."

Does this mean the front wheels are now tuning at the same rate as the rear wheels? I was told it was bad to drive in 4high on dry pavement. Is this true? What about slick/wet pacement from slushy/melted ice?
Old 12-07-2009, 07:44 AM
Contributing Member

You know whats cool about our trucks is they are VERY capable in the snow - much more so with a good set of tires, but at least with the older trucks something that I find cool is that they dont have any crazy stability control, traction control, computer sensing distribution control blah blah blah. Just plain and simple lever actuated 4wd.

They are capable, but they also demand a skilled driver or you will end up in a ditch just as easy as the guy with a RWD crown vic.

But Toyotas can plow through some very serious conditions.
Old 12-07-2009, 07:48 AM
Contributing Member

Got another winter driving question. I was reading this link http://www.fixya.com/cars/t596049-4wd_low_4wd_high

The guy with the long paragraphs seems to know what he's talking about, but he says, " It engages the front wheels, and keeps the same
overall gearing as with 2wd."

Does this mean the front wheels are now tuning at the same rate as the rear wheels? I was told it was bad to drive in 4high on dry pavement. Is this true? What about slick/wet pacement from slushy/melted ice?
this has been discussed many many times on here, but yes driving with traditional 4wd (locked center diff) allows a 50/50 distribution front and rear. This is bad on dry pavement as during turns tension from the push pull of that locked center diff ends up being placed on your drivetrain components. Not good for them at all and will stress them and prematurely end their service life.
Old 12-07-2009, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by GodwinAustin
this has been discussed many many times on here, but yes driving with traditional 4wd (locked center diff) allows a 50/50 distribution front and rear. This is bad on dry pavement as during turns tension from the push pull of that locked center diff ends up being placed on your drivetrain components. Not good for them at all and will stress them and prematurely end their service life.
So turns are bad, but what about highway travel? I ask because as I drive down the high way to work, there's patches of dry area and patches of wet. I'd say about 50/50 mix. It's tedious and danerous to take it out of 4high to go over the dry stuff and put it back into 4high when the wet patches come again.
Old 12-07-2009, 07:57 AM
Contributing Member

So turns are bad, but what about highway travel? I ask because as I drive down the high way to work, there's patches of dry area and patches of wet. I'd say about 50/50 mix. It's tedious and danerous to take it out of 4high to go over the dry stuff and put it back into 4high when the wet patches come again.
If you are going in a straight line ONLY you dont have to worry about drivetrain binding in 4wd, even on dry pavement.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:26 AM

sorry i dont have to put on photobucket but heres this quick one!
Attached Thumbnails handling in the snow-photo-0027.jpg  
Old 12-07-2009, 08:30 AM

Some of you guys are pretty daring. I don't think I'd ever go into deep snow. I'd be too affraid of getting stuck and being late to work. I might go have some fun tomorrow on my day off. Test out the toyota in deep deep snow.

Quick Reply: handling in the snow