Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Grinding Popping / Binding sound IFS

Old 06-11-2009, 08:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grinding Popping / Binding sound IFS

I recently changed out both driverside ball joints due to a frontend squeaking sound. The lower ball joint was causing a bouncing like squeaking sound. I've also put some grease on the steering caps, thinking this is where the Grinding Popping, Binding sound is coming from. Didn't help at all. I found the issue was only happening when the truck is offroading and the wheel is turn to the left or right. So what could it be? I know i have some worn out sway bar bushings, but i couldn't imagine the sound would be coming from them. I'll disconnect the sway bar and then see what happens. Troubleshooting gremlins suck.

Also i'd like to thank everyone that has helped me in the past.

Old 06-11-2009, 08:48 PM

This is what happens when you wheel hard with the wheel turned. My bet is that it's these that are still making your noise. The Stealership wanted like $6 each for new little plastic cover things. $3 for a new bolt. Ridiculous.
Old 06-11-2009, 09:04 PM

Get under your truck and have somebody do small radius turns with the steering wheel. They can start at either left lock or right and slowly work to the other side rocking it back and forth while you look at the bushings, tie rods, frame @ the steering gear.
Also look at lower control arm bolt heads for movement.
Old 06-11-2009, 09:04 PM

btw

if u didnt happen to catch what the bolt was he is showing its ur steering stop adjuster. no real good fix but lots of duct tape minimizes the noise..
Old 06-11-2009, 09:13 PM

a thousand duckets says its the swaybar. if its not the bushings its where it bolts to the frame...grease her when you replace those bushings.
Old 06-12-2009, 05:26 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This may sound stupid but have you checked the rubber ball tips on the steering stops? I know when mine went out every time I turned the wheel left or right and they made contact the popping sound made everyone within 50 ft jump. replaced them for like $8 at Stealership and put some anti seize on the catch side no more popping.
Old 06-12-2009, 05:32 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by olharleyman
This may sound stupid but have you checked the rubber ball tips on the steering stops? I know when mine went out every time I turned the wheel left or right and they made contact the popping sound made everyone within 50 ft jump. replaced them for like $8 at Stealership and put some anti seize on the catch side no more popping.
Mine does the same when at full lock either way. I just don't turn them that far and no more pop, bang, grind, pop, boom, and now I don't have to clean the passengers seat.
Old 06-12-2009, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by Ardent

This is what happens when you wheel hard with the wheel turned. My bet is that it's these that are still making your noise. The Stealership wanted like $6 each for new little plastic cover things. $3 for a new bolt. Ridiculous.

I put a glob of grease on that bolt and the part on the frame/lower control part where it rubs. this is not the issue. still pops and moans...
Old 06-12-2009, 10:01 AM

Does it do this at full lock? If so go full lock and then back it off an bit and then go...if you hear it make the yucky, scary, sound stop put the ebrake on and go look to see if it's rubbing. Even with a bit of grease on the bolt it'll probably make the scary sound...

Last edited by Lumpy; 06-12-2009 at 10:02 AM. Reason: mis type
Old 06-12-2009, 10:05 AM
Contributing Member

Grease won't stop the popping - it will help for maybe 10 turns or so.
If you get those plastic covers for it and put some liquid nails between it and the stop that will help quite a bit.

I did that on my 2nd gen and it was a pretty solid fix.

Fink
Old 06-12-2009, 10:10 AM

Just don't turn them that far...
Old 06-12-2009, 10:38 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
AXLES!!!! CV JOINTS ARE DONE!!!! Unless its just your steering stops. When the rubber wears off from the steering stops it does this with the wheel fully cocked no worrys thies is normal in all old yotas.
Old 06-12-2009, 11:17 AM

this is where i applied the grease also note that my plastic caps are worn down to the metal studs, but not all the way.

it leads me to think it's not these guys making the sound. it's like a creaking grind sound with a pop. when i get home all try to bring my netbook and long cheap microphone for the sound effect for all to hear. Both axles look perfect, i know for a fact the driver side is good. I pulled the whole hub off to change out the balljoints. I'm going to change the driver side wheel bearings as soon as i get my 54mm / 2 & 1/8 socket in the mail.
Old 06-12-2009, 11:36 AM

That's it...loud, yucky, scary, popping, grinding sound. First time I heard it I pooped a little it skered me so much...ya it's a bad noise but nothing to really fret, don't turn so far and you will not hear this.
Old 06-12-2009, 11:52 AM

yeah i greased the hell out of it, and still does it. i'll try to take notice of how far i turn the wheel this afternoon.
Old 06-12-2009, 05:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Without the caps on there, pretty darn sure it is the stops, even with lube on the dragging surface. Get the new caps. Your stealership sounds like more of a thief than mine. I paid $2.99 each for 4x of the plastic caps, and thought that was a bit ridiculous. But, no more noise, gone.

Mike
Old 06-13-2009, 08:24 AM

Found out it's no the steering caps it makes this sound with the wheels not even turn a quater of the way. going to disconnect the sway bar and check it out for noise.
Old 07-13-2009, 03:03 AM

DemonK1d, Thanks for posting that Pic, That really helped in figuring out the Problem. The new CV shafts where actually bigger in diameter right before the hub, so i had to remove the sway bars so the shafts could fit threw the Control arms and past the shocks. Ended up snapping both disconnect bolts. When they get rusted, there a pain. Thinking about picking up some Quick disconnects from WWW.4Crawler.com . I think there like $90 dollars for a pair, but looks to be a good design.

I Agree fully with Outlaw Mike. I Personally thought it was the axles, Some horribly wrecked CV Joints, so i replaced them only to find that same sound still being present on full steer. So i looked at the steering components a little more and decided to Put a Ramp in front of my driver side tire on Full steer to the right, put it in 4x4 mode and crawled up the ramp. Sure enough, there the sound was. So i backed off the ramp and took another look at the Steering stops. The bolt worn threw the top of the caps but not the bottom. So i decided to flip the cap up side down and try it again. What do you know, Not a sound. Problem Fixed.

My friend said his previous Van had the same problem and a new set of upper and lower Ball Joints fixed it, But I wasn't about to take a $350 Hit when i could look for myself and try to figure it out and save accouple bucks. If i had too i would have, but buying new set of CV shafts cost me $150 already too still hear that noise really sucked. At least i got New axles though. Going to the dealership today to buy the Steering stop Caps. Hope this helps

Last edited by Yotaontherise; 07-13-2009 at 03:17 AM.