Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Grinding noise upon deceleration...

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 12:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grinding noise upon deceleration...

Hey guys & gals!
I have a 1990 4Runner (3vze, 4WD, auto locking hubs) and recently replaced the front drivers side axle because it was on its last leg. The install went fine and everything went back together alright, but when I drive it there is a slight vibration when I accelerate and a moderate vibration accompanied by a grinding noise (like gear teeth grinding) upon deceleration/braking.
It's driving me nuts and I can't figure out what the problem is.
Someone suggested that the auto hub may be locking on that side or the hub bearing might be bad. It never made any noise before, so the hub bearing might not be it. Is the auto locking hub cover supposed to go on a certain way or? Because I didn't take note when I removed it.
If anyone has suggestions, please let me know...
Thanks!
-Andy
Old 07-31-2008, 11:08 AM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
The flange is not actually a locking hub. It just keeps everything locked in place. There is really no one way to put it on. If you got the splines lined up and tightend all the bolts you should be fine in that sence. They are called ADD Flanges, not auto hubs Just to clear things up. (auto hubs were an option on the early ifs truck, very bad stuff).

Did this noise/vibration come start after you changed the cv joint?
Old 07-31-2008, 02:31 PM

Thanks for clearing things up for me. I don't know much about trucks so any help is appreciated Yes, the noise started after I changed the CV joint/axle. I've taken it all back apart and couldn't find anything rubbing or any signs of abnormal wear only to reassemble and have the same vibration/grinding occuring. It's getting very annoying and the fact that I can't figure it out is even worse! Please help!!!
Thanks for all your help.
-Andy
Old 07-31-2008, 02:55 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Did you re-pack the wheelbearings when you did the joint? Can you spin a lifted tire and find where exactly the noise is comming from?

What kind of cv axle did you get? OEM or aftermarket?

Last edited by Jay351; 07-31-2008 at 02:56 PM.
Old 07-31-2008, 05:55 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
On the off chance.....is there grease in the CV boots?
Old 08-01-2008, 10:38 AM

I bought a brand new axle, but it's a Duralast from autozone and there better be grease in those CV joints, lol. As far as repacking the wheel bearing, no I didn't do that as it wasn't mentioned in the Haynes book. Could that be the problem? What kind of grease should I use?
With the front end raised I spin the wheel and it doesn't make any noises or feel resistance. I wiggled the wheel (holding the tire @ 9 & 3) and it feels pretty solid.
Any other suggestions?
Thanks!
Old 08-01-2008, 07:31 PM

Bump..
Old 08-05-2008, 07:12 PM

Any other ideas?
Old 08-23-2008, 03:48 PM

Well I'm chasing the same grinding I have spent over 1,000 dollars in parts that I thought would cure it and had my 4runner in 2 local shops the 1st shop charged me and said they couldn't pinpoint the ptoblem...the 2nd shop was a tranny & rear end shop they had her there all day and did tell me that the tranny shifts perfict for 170,000 miles and the t-case seems to work well thae said it could be a rear bearing, rear diff carrier bearings or t-case bearings but they couldn't pinpoint where the problem is.The owner of the shop just said drive it and it'll get worse then u know where the problem is kinda scarry...
Now with that being said I have isolated it to the rear of the 4runner but don't know if it's the bearings or the chunk.I have put her up on stands tires off the ground put her in drive and the grinding started the faster I pushed the gas the more grinding I got....
I took a lot of steps to get the problem isolated to the rear but I'm still trying to pinpoint it with lots of help from the posters on this site!
If you can read some of my post or threads I guess u call them not sure?
then u can read how much time and money I have put into trying to find this problem......I really don't know how for u to look up my threads/posts mayb some one will chime in on this and pm me if u have any questiong
I havent found the problem yet but I'm getting closer to it