Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

great... ANOTHER TPS...fml

Old 04-15-2015, 06:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
great... ANOTHER TPS...fml

hey whats guys...now before i start with my stupid issue, id like to make it clear that i indeed did search prior to making this thread and im looking for verification and clarity more so then a "how-to"... so anyway without further ado. i have a 1993 toyota pick-up with the 22 RE engine. i have frankenyota's tps adjustment walk through as well but it seems i cant get my base line to start adjusting. my engine/TB seems to be a late model design just based on the horizontal positioning ive seen in the 22RE variations. the pictures well further elaborate.

in the first photo my tps is NOT on the throttle body (red circle) and the throttle is obviously closed indicated by the blue circle

in the second photo this where my tps sits at idle but the holes to secure it it aren't lining up. i should also mention that the throttle plate is in contact with the stop screw

now in the third picture the tps is mounted in its lowest position to line up with the holes. As a result the throttle flap opens a considerable amount. ive tried adjusting from this point but to no avail. the engine constantly surges into the what sounds like 3k rpms if i were to put everything back together and start. the tps is good and is an OEM part from toyota PN #98500-0330

now guys my question to you is am i supposed to follow the procedure to adjust the tps while it is in this known position? ive tried to adjust the stop screw a few times and mounting the tps in numerous positions but i always end back in the same positioning for the idle. any help would be appreciated in clarifying where i should start.. its such a stupid issue i hate asking but ill be the idiot for the day as long as i can get my truck back on the road. thanks guys
Attached Thumbnails great... ANOTHER TPS...fml-20150415_210431_zpsstbcgx5t.jpg   great... ANOTHER TPS...fml-20150415_210620_zpscbbpctjw.jpg   great... ANOTHER TPS...fml-20150415_210511_zpstcfoh97r.jpg  
Old 04-15-2015, 06:52 PM

Why did you remove it? I completely cleaned my Throttle Body and new gasket on my 91 4X4, I left it alone.
Had to look it up to find out what you were talking about, avoid the acronyms, it's a throttle position sensor, TPS wasn't in the index
Old 04-15-2015, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by shadowbirdie
Why did you remove it? I completely cleaned my Throttle Body and new gasket on my 91 4X4, I left it alone.
Had to look it up to find out what you were talking about, avoid the acronyms, it's a throttle position sensor, TPS wasn't in the index
Ok sorry about that. I removed it because it had an idle of about 300 rpms and a misfire. I performed 2 complete tuneups. After running on the highway for an extended period of time, the truck would stall out at intersections. So when I went to adjust the throttle position sensor by loosening the 2 screws... the sensor fell off the throttle body. I'm assuming it was never properly on the throttle body ears in the first place..
Old 04-15-2015, 08:06 PM

yes, it will be a little off. Just slide it in and line up the holes. It will be a little under tension from a spring. You may have noticed the plastic rod inside the TPS twisted a bit when you removed it. Mine works fine. However, if your TPS is a 4 prong style, you will have to do an OHM test to get it set right. The FSM covers it, but in case you don't have it, here is how you set it. Name:  TPSadjustment_zps8jnghthj.jpg
Views: 4557
Size:  140.3 KB

Last edited by Oregon'sLoneWolf; 04-15-2015 at 08:15 PM.
Old 04-16-2015, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Oregon'sLoneWolf
yes, it will be a little off. Just slide it in and line up the holes. It will be a little under tension from a spring. You may have noticed the plastic rod inside the TPS twisted a bit when you removed it. Mine works fine. However, if your TPS is a 4 prong style, you will have to do an OHM test to get it set right. The FSM covers it, but in case you don't have it, here is how you set it.
ok i see. based on the picture you posted, it doesnt look like my throttle body since the sensor is on the opposite side. i had some trouble tracking down the FSM since most of the links i had tried from other members and sites were expired. ill try to find a copy go off that but i understand what you mean. thanks for the input brother
Old 04-16-2015, 12:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
?

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/TPS/index.shtml

Last edited by BK2TFUTURE; 04-16-2015 at 12:23 PM.
Old 04-16-2015, 12:50 PM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Have you made sure your throttle butterfly valve is fully closed? I.e. have you adjusted the throttle stop screw to make sure it is? You want it closed completely just not so far closed that it gets stuck. Very tight tolerance.

Just wondering because it seems to me that if the butterfly were adjusted too far open, it would tweak the TPS as it is in your pic #2. But as others have mentioned, there should be a little bit of tension on it when the screw holes line up.

Have fun adjusting that crap. It's a tricky one! I'm about to do mine today
Old 04-16-2015, 12:57 PM

yea i have that write up on hand, thx. but i cant use it

Originally Posted by jennygirl
Have you made sure your throttle butterfly valve is fully closed? I.e. have you adjusted the throttle stop screw to make sure it is? You want it closed completely just not so far closed that it gets stuck. Very tight tolerance.

Just wondering because it seems to me that if the butterfly were adjusted too far open, it would tweak the TPS as it is in your pic #2. But as others have mentioned, there should be a little bit of tension on it when the screw holes line up.

Have fun adjusting that crap. It's a tricky one! I'm about to do mine today
this is my problem, i understand when i put it on there should be some tension BUT with the throttle position sensor i currently have, it is literally impossible for the throttle butterfly to be closed to the point where i can start adjusting...now this leads me to believe the sensor i currently have is incorrect. my readings with my multimeter never read infinity so i dont have an area to begin the adjustment. is there anyway someone can give me the part numbers for this engine?
Old 04-16-2015, 01:07 PM

in this picture the throttle position sensor is on the throttle ears and the throttle butterfly is closed but i cant adjust because i cant secure it. this leads me to believe my current throttle sensor is incorrect but it just simply is able to allow the adjustment i would need. now if i were to "advance" this sensor in a CCW position the throttle flap is damn completely open!?! i know this cant be right. again if anyone has correct part numbers or rather all the available part numbers including supersession ones that would be great
Old 04-16-2015, 01:44 PM

Hmm yeah sounds funky to me.

Perhaps the paddles connected to the butterfly valve shaft are wrong for your TPS. They can be 90deg shifted depending on the model year. Check it out:

great... ANOTHER TPS...fml-cmj4qbs.jpg

It is indeed possible that your TPS needs the other paddle to properly align itself. That pic I took during my early to late model intake swap. The link to that mod is in my signature where there is a bit more description.

Maybe if you took a pic of the paddles (with TPS off and butterfly valve closed/at rest) it would help pinpoint that for you. Sounds to me like you need the different paddle.
Old 04-16-2015, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by jennygirl
Hmm yeah sounds funky to me.

Perhaps the paddles connected to the butterfly valve shaft are wrong for your TPS. They can be 90deg shifted depending on the model year. Check it out:

It is indeed possible that your TPS needs the other paddle to properly align itself. That pic I took during my early to late model intake swap. The link to that mod is in my signature where there is a bit more description.

Maybe if you took a pic of the paddles (with TPS off and butterfly valve closed/at rest) it would help pinpoint that for you. Sounds to me like you need the different paddle.
this makes soooo much more sense now, thank you!! ill go pull it apart and see what i find.
Old 04-16-2015, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by lasthero32

in this picture the throttle position sensor is on the throttle ears and the throttle butterfly is closed but i cant adjust because i cant secure it. this leads me to believe my current throttle sensor is incorrect but it just simply is able to allow the adjustment i would need. now if i were to "advance" this sensor in a CCW position the throttle flap is damn completely open!?! i know this cant be right. again if anyone has correct part numbers or rather all the available part numbers including supersession ones that would be great
If the other one looked like that then cool. I'm sorry, I didn't pay attention to your make and year, my bad. If there is a different style TPS, I suggest you check that first before taking it apart at the springs. The problem is not the piece shown above in the previous posts. Also, use some PB blaster and lube it up the spring and the rod for the butterfly and clean the TB as it might just be hung up a little!!!

If for some reason you have to adjust your throttle stop screw (doubtful unless you messed with it like I did), when complete I suggest you use some lock tight once set to hold it in place. You can use an ohm meter and ohm it to the closed position to find the sweet spot. You will need the FSM to figure this out or more search to find the info. Or, you can use your tack, after it is warm and set it to the correct RPM. Think small corrections at the screw as it really is a fine tune procedure.

Last edited by Oregon'sLoneWolf; 04-16-2015 at 02:56 PM.
Old 04-16-2015, 02:41 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Are you sure you're aligning the pins correctly?
I've only installed one and it's on my 91 22re. I ordered one that had the same part number as the one I took off (same part # you have in the pic). When I first placed it on the throttle body the mounting position was off like yours.

I had it on a bench and eventually realized I was aligning the pins in the wrong position because they were on the wrong side of the notches in the TPS. They have to be seated into those two little notches/cutouts on the back of the TPS with a little spring tension to function correctly. I can't 100% remember what I had to do to get the pressure. I may have had to open the throttle a little to get the pins on the other side of the cutouts in the TPS.

Everything checked out normal with the multimeter and it's been fine since then.
Messing around with the TPS made me wish I had a good old analog style multimeter with the sweeping needle.

Last edited by Odin; 04-18-2015 at 09:39 AM.
Old 04-16-2015, 06:07 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Odin
Messing around with the TPS made me wish I had a good old analog style multimeter with the sweeping needle.
True that, I use the analog one I have more than the digital one. O2 sensors, fuel injector pulses, and anything else you could do with a digital. Reminds me I need to order a new potentiometer for it though.

OP, you're only about 30* off from level, not 90*, and I highly doubt someone swapped ears into your TPS anyway. That part is for the 22re engine. The 3vze TPS came 180* apart year-dependent but the procedure for adjusting them is the same, hence that different pic above. (Jenny do you have the 4 or 6 cyl?) I would agree with the guy above me that you probably have the ears slightly out of position. The TPS is incredibly sensitive to set, a hair either way can throw it out of adjustment, you'll need an ohmmeter.

Did you check fuel, air, spark and compression for your misfire? If it's only when warmed up the O2 is my first place to look, pick up one of those analog VMs and check for needle pulse.
Old 04-16-2015, 06:52 PM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
Here's the correct manual section: http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...34throttle.pdf

shadowbirdie: Note where it says: "NOTICE: To prevent deterioration, do not clean the throttle position sensor." I'm sure you were very careful.
Old 04-16-2015, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by scope103
Here's the correct manual section: http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...34throttle.pdf

shadowbirdie: Note where it says: "NOTICE: To prevent deterioration, do not clean the throttle position sensor." I'm sure you were very careful.
Yeah there is a guide out there that says to fill it up with WD40. I forget where, but yeah. Not a good idea!

Granted, I am one who took their TPS completely apart
Old 04-18-2015, 07:02 AM

We'll give this a try thanks Jenny...

So far I just left it alone during the TB removal and clean up, seemed easiest
"if it works, don't fix it" but seems simple enough. As a former IPC3 microsolderer
this would be big parts to work on, but I don't have a microscope anymore, still have my PS1 Metcal though.
And getting a tiny quantity of dielectric is tough,
have to buy a lifetime supply just for a smidgen needed..
Old 04-24-2015, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by jbtvt
True that, I use the analog one I have more than the digital one. O2 sensors, fuel injector pulses, and anything else you could do with a digital. Reminds me I need to order a new potentiometer for it though.

OP, you're only about 30* off from level, not 90*, and I highly doubt someone swapped ears into your TPS anyway. That part is for the 22re engine. The 3vze TPS came 180* apart year-dependent but the procedure for adjusting them is the same, hence that different pic above. (Jenny do you have the 4 or 6 cyl?) I would agree with the guy above me that you probably have the ears slightly out of position. The TPS is incredibly sensitive to set, a hair either way can throw it out of adjustment, you'll need an ohmmeter.

Did you check fuel, air, spark and compression for your misfire? If it's only when warmed up the O2 is my first place to look, pick up one of those analog VMs and check for needle pulse.
yea after cross checking. it seems the ears are correct for the throttle body. yea i checked all that previously. i purchased a new tps out of haste about a year and a half ago after my ECU took a ˟˟˟˟. so before i changed the ECU i basically threw parts at it for about a month. i bought a new tps (the one in the above pictures) and had my friend throw it on for me since i was out of town at the time. it wasnt until i changed the ECU and got the truck running again that i was able to notice the idle issues... the truck ran decent for that time. it wasnt until recently that it started to stall. so i pulled it off to adjust and here we are...