86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Got my truck back....not too pleased

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 03:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Got my truck back....not too pleased

So my mechanic got the new 22re in and 5 speed swap done and he ed up some . He didn't hook up the brake light switch, when I pushed the clutch in the pedal hit the floor and I popped the hood to find one of the nuts sitting on the fenderwell and one of them threaded about 3 turns onto the studs. I fixed these few things but a little more of a gripe now. I don't think he set the valves AT ALL and it is ticking like its got 300k miles on it. Will it hurt the engine to drive around like this for a week until I can afford to pay someone else to look at it? Also it starts up kind of rough and doesn't seem to have the power it should, perhaps he didn't set the timing right? I know (I think I know lol) you need to jump something in the diagnostic port before you set the timing (22re) am I correct? I think he may have overlooked that because he has on one of my 22res before. He couldn't figure out how to get my 3 row radiator in so he charged me for another radiator install and tried to charge me for a full tune up but wouldn't that be included in the motor r&r aside from plugs/wires/rotor? It only recieved new plugs and not a rotor or wires. Im pissed.
Old 10-28-2008, 04:29 PM
Banned

And this is why I don't let other moron's touch my truck... DIY..
Old 10-28-2008, 04:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
must have been a shade tree mechanic
Old 10-28-2008, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Luvmeye22re
So my mechanic got the new 22re in and 5 speed swap done and he ed up some . He didn't hook up the brake light switch, when I pushed the clutch in the pedal hit the floor and I popped the hood to find one of the nuts sitting on the fenderwell and one of them threaded about 3 turns onto the studs. I fixed these few things but a little more of a gripe now. I don't think he set the valves AT ALL and it is ticking like its got 300k miles on it. Will it hurt the engine to drive around like this for a week until I can afford to pay someone else to look at it? Also it starts up kind of rough and doesn't seem to have the power it should, perhaps he didn't set the timing right? I know (I think I know lol) you need to jump something in the diagnostic port before you set the timing (22re) am I correct? I think he may have overlooked that because he has on one of my 22res before. He couldn't figure out how to get my 3 row radiator in so he charged me for another radiator install and tried to charge me for a full tune up but wouldn't that be included in the motor r&r aside from plugs/wires/rotor? It only recieved new plugs and not a rotor or wires. Im pissed.

How long have you been going to this guy?
Can you post his address so I know to avoid him in the future?

Last edited by DYNNOMMYTE; 10-28-2008 at 04:39 PM. Reason: my grammar sucks
Old 10-28-2008, 04:40 PM

Id drive it back there and ing ream him out. And id posts signs around your town saying not to use that mechanic, or just wait around on radom days and confront his potential constomers and tell them how he screwed you over. Haha maybe he will fix everything he can for you or try to make it right. Word of mouth is the biggest advertising for most mechanics, and if it gets a bad rep then nobodys gona go there. Doing your own valve adjustment isnt too hard though. I just did mine a while ago and my freinds the other day. Pm me if you want some good linkys and pics of mine to help u out
Old 10-28-2008, 05:11 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Inspect the truck first. Get it fixed to your approval. THEN pay.

Old 10-28-2008, 05:55 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
Why, after he ^@#$'ed you the first time, would you even consider going back to him?!

Legit shop? Or backyard mechanic? If he has any sort of rep or is a national business, take it back and make him fix it. Or stand outside his business with a big sign until he does!
Old 10-29-2008, 06:34 AM

Well I appreciate all the advice, and I haven't paid him. Can anyone here actually answer my questions or do you guys just want to give me about my choices. I plan on taking it to someone else to get it finished properly and inspected but I want to know if it will hurt the engine to drive it with the valves ticking. I would do it myself but I don't have a garage, cherrypicker, air tools, or the time to do it as I work 50+ hours a week.
Old 10-29-2008, 06:43 AM

Ticking could be lots of things. Since you seam not to familiar with these trucks I would take it to someone who knows Toyota trucks.

The valves may not be set right, timing may be off, timing chain guide may be broken. You can drive it with ticking valves, if that is what it is. If there was no tick at all I would be worried. These engines always have some noise to them.
Old 10-29-2008, 06:47 AM

no it wont hurt the engine. drivin with them ticking for a week, i doubt it. just dont go crazy on it until they are adjusted 100%. just if you hear any funny sudden noises or a sudden drop in power to shut off the engine, lol. but yeah you should be fine.
Old 10-29-2008, 06:47 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
I am not going to quote it but your original post language strongly infers in more than one place that you paid him already.

Considering your coments, can you really afford not to get it fixed immediately, if indeed the valves is all he messed up?

50 hours/week is a slow week for me.

Old 10-29-2008, 07:20 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
well, you're in luck.
a valve adjustment doesn't require a garage, engine hoist or air tools. just a few wrenches to get the valve cover off and lock/unlock the valve adjuster nut, feeler gauges to measure the clearance and a flat screwdriver to turn the adjuster screw in or out and to hold it as you lock the nut down. It could be done in as little as 15 minutes... or up to maybe an hour if you stop to chug a beer between cylinders.
Old 10-29-2008, 07:33 AM

Adjusting valves is easy. I can't believe a "pro" mechanic wouldn't adjust them before giving your truck back.

Rob

Last edited by rdlsz24; 10-29-2008 at 07:40 AM.
Old 10-29-2008, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by rdlsz24
Adjusting valve is easy. I can't believe a "pro" mechanic wouldn't adjust them before giving your truck back.

Rob
X2, hack-row-illy-ack.......
Old 10-30-2008, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by DeathCougar
Why, after he ^@#$'ed you the first time, would you even consider going back to him?!

Legit shop? Or backyard mechanic? If he has any sort of rep or is a national business, take it back and make him fix it. Or stand outside his business with a big sign until he does!
Thats what i said above

Originally Posted by Justinvd
Id drive it back there and ing ream him out. And id posts signs around your town saying not to use that mechanic, or just wait around on radom days and confront his potential constomers and tell them how he screwed you over. Haha maybe he will fix everything he can for you or try to make it right. Word of mouth is the biggest advertising for most mechanics, and if it gets a bad rep then nobodys gona go there. Doing your own valve adjustment isnt too hard though. I just did mine a while ago and my freinds the other day. Pm me if you want some good linkys and pics of mine to help u out
All you need to adjust your valves is a 12mm socket, 10 mm socket, a feeler guage with 0.014 and 0.008 thicknesses. A 12 mm open/box ended wrench and a flat head screwdriver. also maybe some rags, takes about 30 mins if you havnt done it before. And if you do that then you will know for sure if the ticking is the valves or not. Cuz driving with ticking valves isnt tobad as long is thats all it is