Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Going Carb NEED everyone's advice.....

Old 06-07-2013, 07:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Converting my 22RE to a 22R

Hi Everyone...

I recently rebuilt my 1988 22re with an engnbldr/R.V. cam kit and have had a myriad of troubles (mostly before rebuild and some after) with the CEL and the ECM.
I'm tired of all that...(and good at tuning/rebuilding Carburetors) so I'm going to go CARB!!!
I'm ordering a 32/36 Weber kit...
Buying a stock vacuum advance dizzy to put a pertronix ignitor II inside of....
But can't shake the feeling that I haven't read enough or know enough to make it all complete...
I HAVE read that I also need to change the:
????fuel pump and pick-up in the tank?????
is that all I need to do in addition to the dizzy and carb/intake?
My 88 yota has a "22R" ECM instead of a 22RE(are there different ones?)
and once I install the pertronix magnetic pickup, will I need the ECM at all? do I need to replace the coil or is it good as long as I take the extra wiring off of it?
AGHHHH!!!!

SO...

I've listed my new parts and my old parts....
anybody got any advice/ideas?
I'm going for reliability and not a race truck

tanks...

Last edited by Osh Ooh Ahh; 06-12-2013 at 10:35 AM.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:31 AM

guess it's not as interesting as I thought to other folks.... But after a bunch of research and no real conclusive findings... I am buying a progressive 32/36 Weber, switching my 22re distributor for a stock vacuum advance dizzy...
going to have to modify the fuel pick-up in the tanks I think unless anyone on here has just plugged in a pump downline and just had it pump through the passive 22re pump/pickup.... then I could keep the sending unit... =)
going to get a carter p4070 fuel pump which is a high volume but low pressure pump....
and that will all be installed right before I rip the brain out of my truck.... so many people like efi? well that's good... then I can recover some of the money I spent to simplify things...
all in all it's going to be about 400 bucks to do this "upgrade" which is about what 3 sensors or injectors cost new....(why buy used sensors? if they never broke you wouldn't have to replace them)
I wonder about the fuel tank/ fuel pump thing though.... that's my last enigma for this modification.... then MAYBE, after my truck starts and drives like it should.... I can recharge the a/c and do the body work, replace the windshield, figure out a way to lock the camper shell, close in on all the lil coolant drips and get a new tensioner pulley for the P/S pump... arghh... this $50 truck sure has cost me a lot to get to where it is.... and on and on and on.... about 900 miles from 200k =)
Old 06-12-2013, 10:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just helped a friend less then a month ago do the same conversion.

Here's what we did.

Switched out intakes, bolted down carb, installed manual fuel pump, unplugged electric pump.

That's pretty much it. Throttle cable is rough to adapt to carb but its manageable. If you run manual pump you will have to install the washer love thingy onto the cam so it will drive the manual pump.

That's it.

Very bad swap. I highly suggest you keep EFI. And I hate my weber and he hates his weber. Both are 32/36 dgev webers.
Old 06-12-2013, 01:02 PM

cool... so no need to drop the tank and modify the pick-up etc? that's my main concern... do you ever lack in fuel? I have a manual pump but think I will just have an external electric one.... I don't like the prime issues vs battery power for the starter of the mech. pump....
also, if you don't mind me asking what it is you hate so much about your weber? acceleration? stalling on serious inclines? that pretty much has been the main complaints I have heard.... you know you can seal the gas bowl and you'll have a lot less problems with stalling.... plus... if your rig is mainly a trail rig you can adjust the float inside for better response on inclines as well...

fwiw:
I have a faulty efi system that isn't getting any younger and things are breaking left and right (sensors etc) I might put it back if I get another donor vehicle or something.... Mainly I feel like I'm about to be seriously robbed by the ECU for sensors and injectors...
and I like mechanically operated vehicles....
Old 06-12-2013, 04:36 PM

thought to add one more thing... I'm using a weber with manual choke...
back when I cut my teeth on VWs, I was taught to simply disable the electric choke on the old solex carbs usually offered in stock setups...
this wasn't always necessary but sort of just a pre-fix of sorts... the electric choke would inevitably give out and cause poor performance and even sucked rods etc.....
that being said... I bought one with no electric connections whatsoever...
I don't know if this is helpful but I like the idea of being able to control the amount of air going into my carb from inside the cab.... sort of like a instant air fuel mixture adjustment.... ( can reeeeely help sometimes)
anyways... got the carter fuel pump... strange device that only likes to be mounted right side up..... argh... I hope this isn't a preview to it's performance... but like I said before it is a high volume, low pressure pump...
this means unimpeded it can flow something like 70 gph but with resistance, it only creates 3-4 psi that being said it should be ideal for the new weber... =)
Old 06-12-2013, 07:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We've had no issues with the manual pumping through the electric.

I hate webers. I've had both Holley 350's and webers. To be honest I'd choose the factory aisin over any of them. The hollers great too.

Now back to weber. On trails I've had no issue not even flooding out. I hate it when I'm on the free way. There's just no power. 1st through 3rd its great. 4th and 5th it sucks. I've jetted it tested it and even swapped it out. It's just junk. I'm gonna soon replace it with a Holley. I'd run factory but my truck is as plain as plain gets. No extra smog no vacuums.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:57 AM

well that's understandable....I wouldn't like that either...
have you made adjustments for your elevation? just curious... I've not heard of a lot of complaints about the webers at highway speeds....
I guess we'll see....
The weber came in... and I have the dizz.... need to get the ignitor II however....that's the last thing on the list =)
I'll let you know about the performance difference between efi and weber 32/36 as I have heard and read all kinds of "opinions" on whether it's good....
people are always screaming NO! KEEP EFI!!! and after dealing with none too many lil problems like vacuum leaks, sensors etc.... I'm ready to have a vehicle where the only brains along for the ride are the ones sitting in the seats
Old 09-10-2013, 05:41 PM

Hi any update on this conversion I am looking to do the same on an engine that blew a head and has been sitting with antifreeze in the crankcase for about 4 years any info would be very appreciated