Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

getting really annoyed with my 22re

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 05:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
getting really annoyed with my 22re

So here it goes. I got my runner going with a 22re and then had some problems which turned out to be fuel issues. Put some methyl stuff in it and it was running great. I went boarding yesterday so it was an hour to town then up the hill. Drove to town great, filled it up with fuel, then after i shut it off and went into a friends place for 5 minutes and came back out... there's my issue again. The skipping missfiring kinda thing. So i put some more fuel cleaner/methyl in it. Kinda helped again. Started up the ski hill and it was doing fine till half way up... then it was really bad. Cylinders were missing, and i was driving in first for a bit of it because there was so little power coming from it. Once in a while all cylinders would kick in and it would go great again for a bit then off again. Way back down the hill was fine and the trip back to home it ran fine again. Today i get in it to drive around for a bit and it was doing it again. And it wouldn't even straighten out, ran crappy the whole time. I don't know what to do now, I'm really getting tired of it. I thought O2 sensor... any thoughts on that? 2 months ago i did new cap/rotor plugs and fuel filter. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks
Old 02-14-2010, 05:26 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Might see if there are any store trouble codes in the ECU:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...CheckConnector
Old 02-14-2010, 06:57 PM

just 4 kicks check your fuel pressure,might b that u still got fuel issues. start at the simplest things first and work your way up from there. fuel compression ignition timing
Old 02-15-2010, 04:53 PM

so i just replaced the fuel filter, fired it up and no change. checked the oil, didn't think it'd be low as i just topped it up last week. it's low, just below the add line. So stupid question but would that be the problem? seems pretty serious to me. the engine is still running, but it's still missing so it's not on all cylinders. went looking on the bottom for a leak and the gasket between the engine and oil pan is cracked right in the front. so if i put a new gasket on and fill er back up with oil will it be ok? kinda worried about this cuz i just put the engine in.
Old 02-17-2010, 07:08 AM

look at your plugs to see if they are oil fouled, check compression
Old 02-17-2010, 09:23 AM

chuck

i had a simular issue once. but it turned out it was the mass air sensor on the air box. when it first started to do it i actually thought the engine was blowing up lol.