86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Getting a new yodaman motor installed.

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 05:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting a new yodaman motor installed.

so i bought this 88 4runner a couple weeks ago for a really good price; the body and paint is good, upholstery is new, etc etc. The engine had over 170 compression on all cylinders and everything was cool, but it had a really weird knock/tap at light idle and coming down from acceleration. I did the usual when i get a new motor, change the fluids and gave it a good run through. Decided to get the Downey headers and intake, since everything seemed cool. Then, I decided to get a valve adjustment and when I get it back, I was told that the valves were too tight, so now they are spec. Well, the motor didn't sound right, the tapping and feel of the engine just wasn't clicking with me. I've read throughout the board that the engine is noisy, but something had to be wrong. I pointed out that little knock and the mechanic said it's fine, it's a 22re. I went to another place that I know the following week to have that knock checked out and they said that the last valve job was all screwed up, so I told them to fix. When I get it back, the feel was even worse. Now it was constant and I actually felt the knocking throughout the band.

Yesterday, I decided to call Yodaman (Larry) and check the shop out based on all the reviews I've read, "it's pricey, but he's the man when it comes down to the 22re and toyota trucks. I pulled into his shop and within 15 minutes, his son (Paul) had the valve cover off and said it was the loosest valves he's ever seen on a running engine. some of the valves were two turns out from what they should be. After he adjusted the valves, the engine sounded like it never had before; way smoother and quieter, but his son pointed out that noise that I noted from the beginning. They found that the timing chain had a really broken guide, I mean horrible to wear the driver's side was almost nonexistent. Larry showed me with the engine running and how it danced and clanged against the block near the bottom. But he said that timing chain was a different noise from the knock. He advised a tear down of the head to check it out, even though the PO said it was rebuilt. The rockers above cylinder 4 were worn and causing from tap. After a little bit more time, he said that this motor has had nothing done to it with over 200k miles. The head had pitting in the water passages that someone had welded over and smoothed out. Also, the radiator developed alot of sediment from someone running just water in it for a long time before. The cylinders were scored and the knock sound was piston slap.

He recommended an engine, but he could just do the timing chain and I could hope for the best. Since I just got the truck and everything else was in good shape, I decided to go with his engine; everything was in stock and he'll build it on the spot. He started on it today and is spending Sunday and Monday to button it all up. It should get popped in there the middle of next week and then the truck will haveve some new life into it. It's a bit pricey, but considering what I paid for the truck, I figure it's a good investment and I won't have to worry another 200k with some good maintenance. Especially since his team really showed me the ropes of the teardown, so I could see for myself what was wrong.

He's also going to replace the clutch, since it'll be open anyways and I noticed some slipping. Can't wait to get it back. The 2 hour drive to his shop is the only downside, plus the lighter wallet, but it should be worth it.

The rigs out in the shop area are insane by the way.

Definitely recommended for even just parts or some basic advice.
Old 09-21-2007, 06:20 PM

what engine you putting in it?? 22re again? rebuilt engine or brand new parts? what kinda price tag?
Old 09-23-2007, 09:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hate how shops will take a vehicle in and give it back worse. It has happened to me a few times, but thankfully my truck has forgiven me and still runs great. I finally found the best guy for working on my yota, he was the head service guy at toyota for 15 years and now he works out of his house.
I thought I had a hole in my TC cover as it was making the strangest noise, this guy looked at it for a few seconds and said it was from the power steering...he was right I had a worn bearing or belt (forgot which) and only charged me $100 to fix it.

Anyway hope your truck is gonna rock for you.
Old 09-23-2007, 11:01 AM

So where in Cali is he?

I had Gold River Auto drop in a rebuilt for me (an ATK engine), and do the clutch. The thing I like about them is they stand by their warranties. Good people there who really helped me out when my new 86 yota took a on me.
Old 09-23-2007, 11:32 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
yes, please do tell us how much for the rebuilt engine and other goodies.
im excited for you lol. you deserve it. watch, maybe he will give you a good engine, and you can burn some rubber hahahaha.

location too, im in so calif.
Old 09-23-2007, 01:18 PM

I'm not 100% , but I think he's in Santa Rosa , Sonoma County CA. My brother knows the guy.
Old 09-23-2007, 01:53 PM

Yeah, he's up in Santa Rosa. His name is Larry. www.yodaman.net.

Sorry on the road right now, so I can't post the details of the engine, but I know I could've found it for cheaper, but I trust the work and the shop. They're also including a warranty on the engine that his shop foreman was telling me about; i'll get the details.

One thing Larry said was to stick to the timing chain with the plastic guides. i asked him about the metal guides, but he recommended sticking to plastic because Toyota put it in for a reason. When the chain starts to loosen up the guide will break and it'll serve as a warning system to get it changed out. The metal guide doesn't break, but still allows the chain to stretch out and if it skips a tooth or two you won't know until it's too late. He uses plastic guides in his own truck, so I figured I'd go with it.
Old 09-23-2007, 01:55 PM

oh yeah, the google address to his shop is wrong; i sat there for 30 minutes until I figured to call him to see if his shop opened up yet. He's a block away on Standish Ave. Off 101 north, you would take the Todd exit, go back over the freeway and make a right on Standish.
Old 09-23-2007, 02:27 PM

i know where the 101 is! i just dont know how far up it it is.... damnit.

im down here by magic mountain..
i could jump on the 101 down by ventura
how much farther?

$$$ on that engine?!!!
3.4L????
Old 09-23-2007, 07:03 PM

infil: from you, i'd say 6 hours. i thought i mentioned that he's in santa rosa, 1 hour north of san francisco.

it's a 22re that i'm getting put in. For the engine, hoses, belts, clutch, radiator flush or recore and fixing a leaky transfer case, it's coming out to a little over 4 grand. i know i could've done it cheaper, but i'd rather get it done from a known expert with the engine. sure there's a markup, but after reading threads of other people with yodaman's motors, i'm willing to pay the extra that saved in purchasing the 4runner.

Last edited by 2km5; 09-23-2007 at 07:05 PM.
Old 09-23-2007, 09:47 PM

eh 4k i was expecting more like 6 lol.

i wonder if he could put a 3.4 in mine for that much...
ill get a hotel up there and wait lol!!!

i agree that you want someone to work on it who knows about yota engines.

i mean, gearing, parts, and others im sure he has done more than a few 4runner swaps.

keep me posted on everythin!
Old 09-24-2007, 07:52 AM

i think his shop foreman said they do about 4 motors a month...
Old 09-24-2007, 08:29 AM

You know the one thing that is missing out there are guys who set up their own outfits & shops who choose to deal with specific makes or manufacturers. Guys who instead of running a shop that deals with all makes and models that maybe have knowledge that is a 5 out of 10 accross the board, they choose to deal with specific makes and learn them inside and out and have a 9 out of 10 knowledge about the various vehicles. For example, do any of you guys know of shops that deal specifically with Toyota trucks & SUV's? Maybe the guy was a former dealership tech who took the dealership tech program who decided to go out on his or her own? These are the types of guys who I would support, even if they charged more, because they will offer you peace of mind in knowing them inside and out. In fact they may end up knowing the trucks more than a dealership tech because they have created an even smaller niche in not just one manufacturer, but a specific set of makes and models of one manufacturer.

So it's good to hear I guess that you're getting a motor from a guy who knows his shat.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:49 PM

Please take it from me,I used yota man and got burned,spent $3000 on the first engine that the rings didnt seat,then another $2000 to fix it then it ranndomly dies now.please stay away and go to a real shop.
Old 11-19-2008, 12:14 AM

I've got close to 20k miles on my yodaman engine now since i got it installed last year and have never had a single problem with it; it's been running strong through the winter drives up through tahoe, being parked for 2 weeks at a time, weekly 200 miles continuous drives to sacramento and back, and running with the a/c full blast during the summer months. not a single engine related problem. did you follow the break-in procedures?

i'm sorry to hear you've had a bad experience there. i was just there a couple months ago for a valve adjustment and a new bumper that his son built up. The thing is now my daily driver over my m5 b/c of the gas prices and it was well worth the money; at least in my case.