86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Getting Boned By The Shop

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 01:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Getting Boned By The Shop

so, i recently solved the waka waka sound from my rear axle area ( shot wheel bearing) .

Took the axle shaft to the machine shop ... bought a BCA NATIONAL bearing, had it pressed. 3 days later ... wheel bearing is shot!

Got fozey bear or pack man whichever you prefer, following me around again.

1) So, they gave me this BS story that my axle shaft may be bent. Sure it might be, but shouldn't that be a standard check BEFORE you press on a bearing?

2) They dont cover parts that they dont supply. (They would have supplied the SAME BEARING)

3) When i got it back, they had broken one brake shoe, and tried to sell me a set of 4 new ones. (it "fell off apparently" .. yeah the bonded pad just "fell off" <--- those shoes were out of the box new as of 4 months ago)

4)
Cost of Labor = 40
Cost of Bearing = 60
Cost of time = 3 days no truck

SO, AM I ABOUT TO GET BONED .... and if so what do i say/do to avoid that.
poor college student with a speeding ticket and window tint ticket to pay.

~thanks
Old 06-01-2007, 01:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know what tell ya on that but you need to ask around and find a better shop for future repairs and i would be sure they knew that and i was going tell all my friends there crappy and i would be looking for another shop for future repairs..... only do that after your truck is fixed
Old 06-01-2007, 01:44 PM

tell them to fix what they broke and that if they do it right u may consider paying them. otherwise ur not paying and ur reporting them to "enter scary sounding name of your choice". that usually works. lol
Old 06-01-2007, 01:47 PM

Not to sound un sympathetic but, if you just asked a machine shop to replace the bearing and they did it, you owe them the labour. As for the broken brake shoe, you should have taken that stuff off. I have worked in a machine shop, we were machinists and welders, not mechanics.
Learn from this, check out your axle, its not hard to rig up a center jig with some wood and basic tools.

100 bucks is not getting boned, and its not the shops fault YOU got 2 tickets.
Old 06-01-2007, 01:57 PM

Alot of times when a customer is getting boned,it is a miscummuniction between customer and the shop or vise versa. Labor cost money,what is their labor rate? How long did the spend on your parts?
Like any bis. that takes experience and skill,you'll have to pay more.
The bearing is what failed,not their work(from the story).
The brakes I'm not sure of.Things happen in the world of mechanics,not unlike that of the world of the supernatural,it just can't always be explained..
or they are just boning you? Do you have any background or previous experience + or -?
Don't jump to a conclusion,it will make you look like a doobag to them,especially if they were just trying to help...
Old 06-01-2007, 02:11 PM

Hmmm, I'd get the bearing replaced at a different shop and see if that solves the problem. Something like a bent axle etc might be causing the bearing to wear prematurely. As for the brake shoe, yes you should have removed it, but the shop should have returned your axle in the same condition that you gave it to them. It may not be worth the hassle to try to get a couple bucks out of them, I'm just go get your stuff asap if it's still at the shop and take your business elsewhere.
Old 06-01-2007, 02:12 PM

$40 to pull the axle and replace a bearing? Sheesh.. that's cheap...
Old 06-01-2007, 04:53 PM

yeah, again guys I'm not complaining about the price, and by NO MEANS do i believe i have already been boned. I am about to be, why:
Because the bearing they pressed was not pressed correctly. After 500 miles, there is no way a bearing could work itself that loose. Considering there was no damage that would have caused a bent axle shaft in the first place.

I dont mind the 100 buck repair. I dont give a hoot about the brake shoe, seriously guys ... pennies.

And NO, i am not blaming them for getting tickets you inconsiderate jerk. I am simply stating, it sounds like they are not going to cover their labor, which was done incorrectly therefore causing the bearing to fail. I am not even asking them to cover the cost of a replacement bearing, i'll take care of that ... I just dont wanna pay another 40 for their mistake which should have never been.

And to chopitrakeit ... they told me to leave EVERYTHING ON IT. so, there goes your 2 cents.
Old 06-01-2007, 04:54 PM

Oh, and i Pulled the axle ... all they did was press the bearing.
Old 06-01-2007, 06:51 PM

ahh.. $40 for pressing a bearing, not so bueno!
Old 06-01-2007, 06:54 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Did they at least lube you up first?
Old 06-01-2007, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by Jay351
Did they at least lube you up first?
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

On a serious note. Say you're gonna report them to the BBB (better business bureau). YOUR bearing that YOU pressed INCORRECTLY fail in 500 MILES. Nice and simple said slow and loud. Gonna act deaf and dumb, I'll go ahead and play your game. And I usually have one of my police buddies go with me when I'm havin trouble, tends to thaw their ice pretty quick. But then again I suppose if you got speeding and window tint tickets, you probably aint got too many cop friends do ya? Lol...

Last edited by SwampThing; 06-01-2007 at 07:03 PM.
Old 06-01-2007, 07:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
time ta learn a lesson and move along
Old 06-01-2007, 07:37 PM

I can sympathiize with you but I can also side with the shop. Not sure if anyone who has commented thus far has ever replaced a rear wheel bearing, but it's not as easy as one would think. You got off easy on the labor. You have to take off a c-clip as well as a sleeve that you can either cut off or pound the axle on the ground the opposite way of the sleeve, or press it out, then press the bearing itself out, press it back in, install the sleeve and then the clip. Sounds easy right? It's not. I am a service writer and office manager for an auto repair facility and absolutely hate installing customer supplied parts. You would have to be a fool to warranty a customer supplied part. You paid for them to install the bearing (which they did), weather or not it was pressed correctly or not is hearsay, especially when you don't have the proper tools or knowlege to come to that detirimination. If you had the tools and the knowlege you would do it yourself, right. I am not trying to be harsh, just giving you a different perspective. You can narrow it down to 3 things: 1. Bent axle shaft. 2. Faulty repairs. 3. Defective part. A reputable shop will admit mistake and I would hope pay for what they did wrong. I agree with the miscommunication post, 99% of the time that is what it is.

The broken brake shoe issue: They probably used the "pound the axle the opposite way as the sleeve" way and broke it. I would think they would step up to the plate about that.

Give them a chance to fix the problem and if they don't call the BAR (Bureau of Automitive Repair). Check the phone book for the number. Somethmes threatening a shop with the BAR is enough for them to start working with you and righting the situation.
Old 06-01-2007, 07:55 PM

Thats the one I was thinking of... BAR. Call both BBB and the BAR. Double whammy.
Old 06-01-2007, 10:57 PM

Learn your damn laws jackass, stop speeding and get the right ☺☺☺☺ing tint.

JUST TO rub it in, i paid 30 to have my axle seal and bearing installed at the dealer
That includes taking everything off and putting it back together.

Last edited by Sonofmayhem; 06-01-2007 at 10:58 PM.
Old 06-02-2007, 02:45 AM

You all are a nice group of people!
Old 06-02-2007, 03:54 AM

Whatever you do don't threaten to take your bis. elsewhere,that will only amplify the situation.Also don't say that your going to let everyone know what a sorry job they did. If you truly feel they screwed you don't say these above things,just let your friends know.It will make you look a lot better in the long run. I would pay them,take the axle somewhere else and tell them the story,get them to check the axle first and then you'll be able to tell if the shop before should be responsible for the bearing or not.
You really don't have many options. You owe them for what they have already done,but you don't have to go back.
Old 06-02-2007, 06:19 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
+2 on what Yota82 said

There's a shop I use that WILL install parts that I bring.
They also know that *I KNOW* that if the part fails - I eat the part AND the labor. In that case I paid them for a "task" not for a diagnosis.

That being said - they arent the cheapest shop around.
But they work with me to get what I need done.
Basically they do the work the way *I* would have done had I the time.

Of course - I cant afford my own rates
Old 06-02-2007, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by Robrt32
You all are a nice group of people!

Why bitch about getting tickets because your to ignorant to obey the law?

Quick Reply: Getting Boned By The Shop