Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

gen 2 2wd questions

Old 02-13-2013, 05:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gen 2 2wd questions

so instead of being a typical newb, i searched and read for a while before posting and found a couple answers, but still have a couple.

I am getting a 1990 toyota 2wd pickup for free, needs a tank and clutch. otherwise rock solid.
i can trade some junk i have for an 84 4x4 pickup. frame was broken at cab, but i would get both halfs.

one of my thoughts was to put the 4x4 under the 2wd. i found that it is possible, i am fully capable of doing the repair, but a locked 2wd will go anywhere i need it to. daily driver with the occasional snow drift and mud hole, nothing major a winch cant solve. since im not doing an elaborite build, and want to keep the best MPG, i dont think 4x4 would happen, but....

1. any ball part clue on time frame of conversion?
i understand its differnt person to person, but just a good ball park number

2. how much are the 4x4 parts worth?
i was thinking of using the rear axle and front hubs to get 6 bolt rims on my 2wd.

3. is is possible to fit the 4x4 gas tank under the 2wd, any major issues?
online and napa arent showing me the exact tank via vin code, RN81 doesnt pop up.

4. is there any way to tell what package it is via vin?
ie base, dlx...

5. will the bumpers mount from the 84 to the 90. dont care about looks, jsut if it will bolt up?

6. are both engines interchangable?
both carb models. RN65 and RN81 vin codes

just trying to figure out if i shuold make the deal for the parts truck. answers to any would be great, thanx for you time!!

Last edited by vito51; 02-13-2013 at 05:43 PM.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd make the deal. If the parts truck is complete then you have 1000.00 in parts easy.

Straight axles as a pair is kinda in high demand ya know.

If both engines are 22r's there interchangeable.

The six lug conversion would be a waste of time IMO.

Now for the 4wd swap. Yeah you can do it if you have the available parts. There's several kits out there to do it. I'd say the swap would take a experienced person around a week if they have a good location, all tools, all parts needed, and lots of knowledge.

But as you stated above. You don't need 4wd so why change it. Although you may want to later on down the road so having a parts truck would be wise.

Bumpers.... Okay I've seen people swap the 84 style for the 90's style but I've never seen vise versa. It is swappable tho if you wanna do it for whatever reason lol.

As far as the gas tank goes I will be straight up honest with you. I have a 87 4wd that has a 88 2wd tank on it. It was a direct replacement for me although both trucks were SWB regular cabs. I do know for a fact that a 4runner tank won't work on a truck.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:52 PM

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts
Originally Posted by vito51
...front hubs to get 6 bolt rims on my 2wd.
this will NOT work. the spindles and hubs are totally different.

Originally Posted by vito51
just trying to figure out if i shuold make the deal for the parts truck. answers to any would be great, thanx for you time!!
if its junk you dont want or use, id make the trade. a parts truck is always good to have around, even if you end up parting it out to other people.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:38 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
The frame spacing is consistent on all the ones I have books for, with the exception of the 4runner it has a shorter space at the front shock mount.

840 front body mount, 921 shock mount(796 4r), 1100 foreward rear spring hanger. All in mm.

The trim is part of the C/TR code on the door placard.

As for time frame depends all on you, a shop full of pros or a garage full of beer might have it done in a week end. But that assumes you don't have to wait around for any materials or head scratching. Of course since your gonna be stripping it you'll need to account a week for clean up, paint dry time.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanx for the replys, the junk is a 86 fourwheeler, i bought ot fix and didnt succed, was going to rebuild it a second time. i have 800 into it, so sounds like its a good deal.

my only other question would be wheels for the 2wd. ive looked up and found that it is a 5 bolt on 144.3 with a L/M back spacing. one site listed the bore at 60.1mm but the others didnt list anything. trying to find 15 inch wheels for it. the sienna minivan, anmd a bunch of lexus models have the exact fit but with M back spacing.

does anyone know what the backspacing is?

would any wheel 5/114.3 work?

there is a full set of jeep wrangler wheels for sale locally on CL, same bolt pattern but 70mm hub M spacing

anyone disagree with cetering wheel only by lug nuts?