Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Gear oil all over the underside

Old 08-04-2010, 10:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Gear oil all over the underside

I'm in the middle of a clutch replacement, and everything has what smells like gear oil all over it (smells of sulfur). It's on the top and bottom of the transfer case and transmission, and I just pulled the starter out and there's even traces inside the starter (not a lot, but noticeable.) There's also a bit on the bottom back of the engine block.

It's hard to believe anything is leaking, since I don't see it spraying or dripping and the transmission fluid and transfer case fluid are full. It seriously seems like someone just poured a bunch down the back of the engine and took off down the interstate.

What could be causing this? I have a new transmission input seal and a rear main seal, but where else could it be leaking?
Old 08-04-2010, 06:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine's doing that. I have a cracked shifter boot. (The rubber one under the leather boot inside the cab) I need to get by the dealership and order a new one.
Old 08-04-2010, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by thralldad
Mine's doing that. I have a cracked shifter boot. (The rubber one under the leather boot inside the cab) I need to get by the dealership and order a new one.
Gear oil gets into the shifter boot? Weird. I think I found part of my problem, but not all of it. The gasket at the very top of the transmission with the shifters has a leak in it. The transmission was tilted on its side a little and it started dripping out. I'm going to clean off the transmission and replace that gasket.

But I'm still looking for other sources. This is ridiculous. I don't want to replace the clutch with a new (and expensive) heavy duty clutch and have this foul up because of oil contamination.
Old 08-04-2010, 06:13 PM

Input and output seals. Is there a breather vent like on a diff?
Old 08-04-2010, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by thralldad
Input and output seals. Is there a breather vent like on a diff?
Not that I can see.

It's literally all over the transmission and transfer case. Top, bottom, sides, everywhere. I'd get a picture, but I blasted most of it off with the pressure wash a few weeks ago in preparation for this. At the time, I didn't realize it was this bad.
Old 08-04-2010, 06:39 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i believe there is actually a breather...i remember reading that somewhere.

could be input seal, or output seal, or both.

could be leaking out the top of the tranny or t-case..where the shifters are.

mine was doing that because the bolts had worked themselves loose...and then the gasket was ripped..lol
Old 08-04-2010, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by camo31"10.50"
i believe there is actually a breather...i remember reading that somewhere.

could be input seal, or output seal, or both.

could be leaking out the top of the tranny or t-case..where the shifters are.

mine was doing that because the bolts had worked themselves loose...and then the gasket was ripped..lol
The shifter boots were completely clean, but the leak at the top of the transmission here the gasket is seems to be the most likely culprit. For this, should I use black RTV or ultra gray?
Old 08-04-2010, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by DupermanDave
The shifter boots were completely clean, but the leak at the top of the transmission here the gasket is seems to be the most likely culprit. For this, should I use black RTV or ultra gray?
The last time mine was off I used ultra grey and it hasnt leaked yet. been 15000 miles.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:21 PM

Ultra gray is what I have on hand, and so far that's working good for the subaru's leaky oil plate, so I guess ultra gray it is. I won't go with a dealer gasket for this because 1) RTV does good enough, and 2) money is tight and I just paid $60 for the input seal and the rear main seal from the dealer.

I'm not looking forward to cleaning the transmission, as I would like to take it outside and blast it off. Sadly, it won't leave the garage until it's attached to the truck again.

Last edited by DupermanDave; 08-04-2010 at 08:22 PM.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:35 PM

It could be the coolant just check it out!!!!
Old 08-05-2010, 09:51 AM

Here's a picture of the topside of the transmission. These are where the shift levers go:

Imagine that layer all over the entire transmission and transfer case. Yes. EVERYWHERE. For some reason, it's not on the body, drive shaft, propeller shaft, or anywhere around them, so it doesn't appear to be whipped around the transmission bay.
Old 05-13-2011, 10:52 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
to bring this back to life, I am also having a leak. did you find out what it is? I just did a rear main seal and the valve cover because I thought that was what was leaking, but its still leaking. Now to think of it, I did take the shifters out to pull the trans and the gasket did not go back on correctly. I never thought that it could leak from the top of the shifter, but I will check now.
Old 05-13-2011, 01:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
On mine, there was an ok-sized leak on the input shaft seal, and it was all over the back of the engine and on the bottom of the bellhousing. If it smells like gear oil and it's coming from that joint, it's likely to be either that or (at the guys above said) from the top of the shifter.
Old 05-13-2011, 04:27 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
yeah, I had a leak just like that on the bottom of the engine right where theres the plate between the engine and bell housing. It was my rear main seal, I went in there and fixed it. it is still leaking from the same spot though(and my rear main was leaking, maybe why I couldnt tell if it was engine oil or gear oil)

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...g-pics-231579/

now if its my trans input seal, I dont have to worry about it getting on my clutch right? its just gunna leak down the bell housing and out? I really dont want to pull my trans again.