Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Gauge Lights not working, Checked fuses

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 12:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gauge Lights not working, Checked fuses

OK after many years of using my 83 4x4 for a DD I decided it was time to give the mule a well deserved rest and some TLC for being so faithfull no matter what the weather conditions. That being said her "new to me" sister is a 95 4runner which I picked up for 2300 from a bank repo. I think I got a pretty fair deal, but she does have a few issues. I have thus far fixed a head light replaced and checked all the fuses. Both the front marker lights are not working. I checked those at lunch today and a bulb replacement will do the trick. My real problem is the dash lights. All the idiot warning lights come on but no Gauge lighting. Like I said I have checked the fuses and all are good. Not sure which direction to head in. I want to do a check on everything I can before tearing into the dash. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Oh no revers lights but that may be a bulb issue also.
Old 10-16-2009, 12:46 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My first guess after the fuses would have to be the bulbs in the gauge cluster. I know mine are almost all out but I've just been too lazy to pull the dash again.
Old 10-16-2009, 01:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ponchosmule
OK after many years of using my 83 4x4 for a DD I decided it was time to give the mule a well deserved rest and some TLC for being so faithfull no matter what the weather conditions. That being said her "new to me" sister is a 95 4runner which I picked up for 2300 from a bank repo. I think I got a pretty fair deal, but she does have a few issues. I have thus far fixed a head light replaced and checked all the fuses. Both the front marker lights are not working. I checked those at lunch today and a bulb replacement will do the trick. My real problem is the dash lights. All the idiot warning lights come on but no Gauge lighting. Like I said I have checked the fuses and all are good. Not sure which direction to head in. I want to do a check on everything I can before tearing into the dash. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Oh no revers lights but that may be a bulb issue also.
Toyota (like most vehicles) have the lighting system wired so if the brake / running lights go out, it will make the dash light go out. Kind of like a "heads up". Check and make sure ALL of the lights work (front running lights, rear tails / brakes, tag lights, markers...etc.)

If all of those check ok, vigorously turn the dash light rheostat back and forth for a little bit. Sometimes the contact burns itself into one spot (from sitting in that position for years at a time)

Prolly nothing major, just make sure all the bulbs are good ( and none are any dimmer than the rest)

Jerry