Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Gauge Cluster swap 93 to 92 4X4 pick up

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 09:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gauge Cluster swap 93 to 92 4X4 pick up

I have a 92 4x4 PU and it had the standard guage package with idiot lights. I bought a parts truck (93 4x4 pu) and took the guage cluster out to use in 92.

Same motor, trans, gears in both trucks. I am unlucky in that the tach doesnt not seem to have been wired in the 92. I have read every single post on this sight that contains the search topic "Gauge cluster" and I have gathered that the older trucks use a green connector next to the coil to jump either to the screw on the back of the tach or the connector pin.

My truck came equiped with a round coil with the hole in the end of the cylinder. The parts truck had the black square style coil. I changed over to the square coil for no other reason than I didnt wanna change dist cap and wires after I changed the motor.

So now my truck has the 93 4x4 pu motor. It has the 93 4x4 pu gauge cluster (with the tach/oil gauge) and I changed to the black square coil.

I see to make the tach work I need to jump a wire from the black wire coming from an ignitor but I have NO CLUE what that is or means. If you could post a pic of the wire I need to jump from I would apperciate it greatly.

I also saw a post that claims I need to use the #7 slot on connector A as the other end of the connection.

I wanna thank all of you for the good info you have on this website and for helping regular joes like me.
Old 08-17-2010, 04:25 AM

There is a plug that comes off the black square coil that plugs into the ignitor. One wire on the plug is black and the other is white. I compared the old round style coil and found that the black wire is the negative side.

So it appears that I just need to jump a wire from the black wire to the number 6 screw or the #7 pin on connector A.

Any thoughts before I go burn up my cluster

EDIT:

Alright. It doesnt connect to the screw marked "P" or the black wire isnt the right wire to jump from, although I am certian it is the ground wire.

I took the cluster out again and looked at it closer. There are three screws in the bacl of the tach. Although they arent in a line like some peoples have been in other pics on this site. They are spread out one is marked gauge ground one is marked ign and the other is marked "p".

I jumped the black wire to the wire marked "p" and that didnt work. I cant see how jumping it to the shared ground will work either.

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 08-17-2010 at 01:33 PM. Reason: posts combined
Old 08-17-2010, 05:52 AM

You need to go from the the coil "-" terminal to the number 7 pin on "D" connector on the cluster. It is not a screw terminal it is in the plug closest to the drivers door. Your plug on the old wiring harness may not have a metal pin in it. You may have to make something up so you can run a wire in there. I had an old harness and just stole a metal pin from it and soldered the wire to in and pushed it into the plug connector.

I think the pre 89 clusters had a screw terminal.

Last edited by Flash319; 08-17-2010 at 05:57 AM.
Old 08-17-2010, 06:41 AM

My connectors are in reverse of your picture. If I look at the "A" connector and count 7 pins in it connects via the vein system to the "P" screw that hooks up the tach. But when I connect the - side of what I believe to be the coil I get nothing.

The "D" connector is on the other side away from the door for me. I think you mistyped or I misunderstand.

In my old dash cluster the #7 pin of connector "a" has a wire connected to it. It is Black with siler dots. But the vein in the cluster leads no where. That is the wire for the tach. But it seems to not be connected to the other end,

Let me be clear.

My connector "a" has a black wire with silver dots on it. On the old cluster that wire leads no where just a dead tab that goes no where. So I believe it to be the rpm gauge wire. But the other end where that wire goes is what I need to know now. Or if I am hooking it up right at the ignitor.

On my ignitor I have a plug that connects to the square coil. The square coil doesnt have screws like the round coil marked + or - it is just a plug. Out of the ignitor is 7 wires, 2 of which go to the distributor (red and white wires) the other colors, yellow tan gray blue green go into a plug. When they come out of the other side of the plug the wires are all black wires with only one being solid black and the others having a stripe on each of different colors.

Which wire do I splice into to hook into the #7 pin?

Last edited by Leethaxor4u; 08-17-2010 at 07:21 AM.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:11 AM

anyone know which wire to jump off?
Old 08-17-2010, 11:40 AM

id like to help you but i have no idea. ill be swaping my cluster out next week. mabey i can get some better help than you are when i run into problems.
Old 08-17-2010, 12:23 PM

I keep hoping someone who has done the mod will hop on and say, Ya, its the "insert wire color here" just jump it to the "p" or connector "a" pin #7 and your good to go. :"(
Old 08-17-2010, 01:37 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Please make use of the EDIT button if you have more info to add pertaining to your last post. There's no reason to "bump" a thread every hour or so to see if someone has an answer. If someone has an answer, they'll post it, but give people a little time to find the post.

Old 08-17-2010, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder
Please make use of the EDIT button if you have more info to add pertaining to your last post. There's no reason to "bump" a thread every hour or so to see if someone has an answer. If someone has an answer, they'll post it, but give people a little time to find the post.

Sorry. I am used to forums where the topics change very fast and bumping is the way to keep your topic in view.

Just some notes for those who wonder how this came out.

I removed the tach from the cluster and ran a hot wire to the tab labeled IGN and ran a ground to the tab labeled GRD. I then jumped across the black wire coming out of the square black coil. As it is the tach is burned out and will not even work when it is hard wired to the battery and the negative coil wire. Unless someone here says different I have to believe that the rpm guage was damaged in the accident that the truck I sacabbed it from was in. The rest of the cluster works fine and as it would be the number 7 pin on connector A is filled by the wire, meaning that the truck is already wired for the tach and it is just a bad tach IMHO.

Peace
Old 08-17-2010, 04:02 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
No need to constantly bump it, have a little patience, the YT membership usually comes through.
Old 08-17-2010, 04:23 PM

Again, I am sorry. I ment no harm just doig what seemed natural.