86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

gauge cluster conversion help

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 03:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gauge cluster conversion help

I have seen this before, but I can not find it again.
I have a 94 22re and my cluster went out. I bought one from a 3vze and I believe there is some conversion for the tach, maybe speedo? Can anyone help me? I have been trying to find the thread for 4 days now.
Thanks
Old 03-15-2011, 03:32 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
click here
Originally Posted by dieselmanguy89
After roaming many Toyota forums I haven't seen too many people that have done a write up on this topic so I figured I'd give it a shot... Bear with me this is my first write up.

Tools you will need. Small Screwdriver
Medium Screwdriver
10mm Socket
Mulit-meter with RPM setting
OR RPM guage

Parts you will need. Harvested cluster.
89-91 for Mechanical Speedo
92-95 for Electric Speedo
Oil pressure sending unit. $55-$85

First step; removal of old cluster. Two screws on under side of dash above gauges. Another hidden screw behind Heater/fan adjuster plate. carefully remove plastic cover. Then there are 4 screws holding the cluster in. Once you've removed them gently pull the right side out and reach behind the cluster to disconnect (4) electric plugs and the speedo cable if you have a mechanical setup.

Next to alter your mileage in the rare event that your donor cluster doesn't have the same exact mileage as your rig... remove the Plexi face and shadow cover from your donor cluster. Remove speedo gauge from cluster. Carefully pull needle from face. Note* if yours is mech. remember/mark where your 0mph resting point was to save headache later. Loosen and remove tiny black screws from gauge and lift off face.

then remove silver screws from ODO asmbly and lift it off the magnet. keep track of the Macaroni shaped gear that most likely fell out when you removed the ODO.

and then lastly, Get To Spinning Backwards!..

Now in another rare event that you couldn't find a 4cyl Sr5 you'll need to adjust your Tachometer for the 4cyl application. this procedure is remarkably simple if you already have the speedo removed. First step, if you dont have a multi meter you need to rig up another tach to your existing poles to get the reading you need to adjust your tach. Then re-install the cluster omitting the speedometer and plexi.

Before you turn on any power to the truck, REMOVE THE WIRE FROM YOUR OLD OIL PRESSURE SENDING UNIT or install the new one designed for the gauge application. if you dont you will damage the oil pressure gauge and it'll need to be replaced

Then start the truck and grab your multi-meter, set it to RPM, ground the negative lead and place the positive lead on the pole labeled "P" I'm assuming it means Pulse.

Then take a small screwdriver and adjust the Potentiometer by reaching towards the top of the tach through the hole for the speedo; its a little white plastic screw.

A small twist should do the trick. I adjusted the POT at several RPMs just to be sure.

After that all your gauges should be right and your ready to assemble your unit.

Don't forget to remove your old oil pres sender and install the new one designed for the gauge.

And with that you now have a much more accurate means of monitoring your vitals. Please correct anything i have missed and for more information visit

http://www.siestaoffroad.com/clustertech.html

thanks for reading...

Last edited by corax; 03-15-2011 at 03:34 PM.
Old 03-15-2011, 03:41 PM

Thanks for the reply. This points me in the right direction. I wonder if it makes a difference that both clusters I have are SR5 clusters
Old 03-15-2011, 03:43 PM

disregard, I read faster than my brain thinks!