Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

On gas ringing noise?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 04:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question On gas ringing noise?

Hello everyone.

I've been floating around the board for a good while now getting information and whatnot, and I finally picked up a 95 4runner this week and the guy I got it from said the passenger cv axle was shot and needed replaced. He said you could hear it grinding when you drive. I took it for a rip before I got it and it sounded abit rough but figured whatever there not that pricey to replace. After careful inspection of it, aside from the boot being shot, it doesn't seem that worn out. I'm going to change it anyway, but the thing is, from the time I start moving, up to almost any speed there is a loud ringing noise coming from the drivetrain, but only when I'm on the gas. I can bring it up to highway speed, either back right off the gas or shove in the clutch / pull it out of gear, and it stops, the second I get back on it, the noise is there again. I did a bunch of searching around and I cant seem to find any info on whats happening to me. It honestly sounds like a set of gears being meshed to tightly, but they guy said hes never done any work to the drivetrain, and from what he told me, and the papers I found in the truck, most of the things done to it has been from the dealer.

My question is, could a worn out cv axle do that in 2wd? it doesn't shake at all and the transfer case seems to work fine so it shouldn't be putting a load on that front shaft. (aside from just freewheeling)

I'm thinking its something in the tranny, but it does it in any gear regardless of the speed, so I'm abit at a loss. I may try tomorrow unhooking the rear driveshaft and taking it for a drive as a fwd and see if it still does it (I figure that way it would atleast eliminate the rear diff from the possible problems)

On a good note I love the thing , went on my first trail drive / mud hunt today and it works good. even got to tow out a jeep, I don't think he liked me to much as I was making fun of him as I drove back and forth threw holes he was getting stuck in. Ha! One of the guys there had a cell phone recording a vid I believe.. I'll have to see if he has it and post it up.
Old 11-08-2008, 05:05 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Could be U joints worn, Drive shaft outta ballance, Tires outta ballance..
And make sure you have all of your drive shaft bolts...stupid me checked my Tranny mounts and alike, and never took a look at the back of the shaft...

Old 11-08-2008, 05:12 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
if you're hearing it in 2wd and only when on the throttle, I'd prolly rule out anything on the front. so that leaves transmission, transfer case, drive shaft, rear end. u-joints aren't that expensive and if they've never been done and weren't greased regularly, there's a good chance it may be the problem- dry u-joints can make a grinding/ringing noise.
Old 11-08-2008, 05:25 PM

I don't think its anything out of balance, at about 120km/hr its just about as smooth as my Montana, and I figure something out of balance would get worse as the speed was increased. But I will look over everything again and check all the bolts / etc.

Theres 199k on it and from what I seen from the repair slips the joints were never changed. I couldn't tell if they were worn today when I was working on it because I had a load on the shaft. I did drain the transfer case already, peek in at the chain, and fill it up with synthetic oil. there didn't seem to be a issue in there. I'll take a good look at the u-joints tomorrow morning. I so hope thats what it is. I don't want to drive it to much as is.
Old 11-09-2008, 11:28 AM

I didn't get much done today due to the rain, but I went under and checked the u-joints, none of them seem to have any noticeable play in them so I just greased them up. Theres no bolts missing etc. but I am getting a fair bit of noise out of the transmission when I work the shaft back and forth. There doesn't seem to be any excessive noise out of the rear end.
Next step looks like once I get some more oil I'll drain the tranny and check it for metal. Theres no sign of it leaking out from anywhere so I cant see me being lucky enough just to have the oil level down.

How much of a pain is it to pull the tranny out? I didn't get a good look at how much is attached to it as its been dark all day and the rain was making things more difficult.
Old 11-09-2008, 01:37 PM

pulled mine out its a 86-87 wasnt to bad but remember to support the motor