Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Fuel pump removal question

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 03:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel pump removal question

Long story short is I need to put a fuel pump in the 4runner (94, sr5 3.0) but as per usual I have a dumb question about it. Now I know the correct way of doing it (drop the tank etc...) but honestly don't want to. I know, I know... I'm being lazy right now. Has anyone cut their floor to make an access panel to it? If so, any pics or measurements of where exactly you cut so I don't trial/error cut huge holes all through my rear floor? I do plan to seal the panel up correctly afterwards, just really ain't in the mood to drop the tank. Thanks in advance for any help
Old 08-25-2011, 05:17 PM

There already is a small access panel located under the rear passenger seat. Lift up the seat and lift up the carpet and you will find it. You probably wont be able to get the pump out through that but you can use that as a guide. But it is really easy to drop the tank. I would just stop being lazy and do it the right way!
Also I dont know what you pan on cutting it with but the flooroard is very colse to the tank.

Last edited by Dras16; 08-25-2011 at 05:18 PM.
Old 08-25-2011, 05:31 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Still lovin the SAS'sy rig, Dras, ..... hope you're not BURNIN UP out there! Just wanted to say, ...."HEY, you got like 1/20th needed for a Taco under that seat, Dras!" lol.

X2, ..... even though, while it's easy for me to talk with an 87 Runner....(pump comes right out).... I had half way drained the tank when someone called me and said, "You didn't come back to the thread,....WTH YOU DOING? Go up top and lift your seat, PSYCHO!" lol. I had the skid plate off and all.... was no more than a 20 minute job, in my case, to drop the tank, once drained and skid plate is off... Not sure on a 94, but it can't be too difficult to do it right...... rather than CUTTING ,......with pretty much ANY TOOL, right over a gas tank???? .... I don't think you're lazy, man,..... more like itching to get on "1001 Ways To Die, tonight on Spike, a man tries to cut a hole in his floor board of his 4Runner, over the gas tank, to reach his fuel pump with a 4.5" cutting wheel........ stay tuned for the EXPLOSIVE #1 of the night!" .............Just razzin ya, .... but please, don't blow yourself up?
Old 08-25-2011, 05:32 PM

I cut a nice hole through my YJ years ago. I'd never cut up my runner. Drop it!
Old 08-25-2011, 05:33 PM

PS> WD21...... I think I remember your rig.... any recent pics of it?
Old 08-25-2011, 06:41 PM

Dras: I did see that little chumpie hole for the plug/line access, figured that would be a good place to measure from to cut.

ChefYota: I expect no less then some razzin, wouldn't have it any other way! On a lighter side I honestly planned on probably using some sharp azz tin snips or something. Sparks and fuel usually don't mix the best and I can't stand the announcers voice on 1000 ways to die (and they would probably use a jeep in the re-enactment anyway. Blasphemy!)

Guess I should just wait till I actually get a pump and do it the correct way, just use lots of penetrating fluid... steer clear of the half-fast ways. Just lacking motivation at the moment and was looking for an easy way out.

As for recent pics, it hasn't really changed a lot of recent so I think I've posted the most up to date already, along the lines of...

or were you refering to the 'wd21' part of my screen name, which I haven't posted here before?

(which has a light touch of sr5 as well)
Old 08-25-2011, 06:58 PM

Haha,.... I was referring to the 94 Runner. Read that in your sig before, but never had seen it till now. Pretty nice.
Old 08-31-2011, 05:24 PM

got lucky and didn't have to pull the pump anyway, fired up on it's own! (plus a wire fix or 2 I found. Hate wiring but like using my soldering iron). Now to start getting it ready for safety inspection...
Old 08-31-2011, 06:15 PM

thanks chef! I think i will save a little more and go get a taco! Haha!
Old 08-31-2011, 06:29 PM

glad to hear you got it fires bad i lit myself on fire in (do not add HEET to fire aparently the botttle blows up in your face) january 2nd degree burns to 10% of my body worst part i work in the ER so i got to see all my friends when i showed up and laughed their tails off at me

if their isnt a panel you could drop the tank do what you got to do then add one that way if their is a next time you could do it more conveintly .
Old 08-31-2011, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by Dras16
thanks chef! I think i will save a little more and go get a taco! Haha!
Hahahhaa.... Yeah, remember those commercials for Taco Bell or something? Some dude in the drive through, "Just a second, ma'am, ...I'm ALMOST there, 85, 95, 105, 1.06, 1.07.... 1.08, I GOT IT!!!!!" .... ALL EXCITED he found enough! He was tearing the glove out, under the seats, then in the next scene, back in the cargo area tearing up carpet... HAHAHA, that was classic!
Old 09-01-2011, 04:43 AM

I hate tacobell but they did have some humorus commercials. (and I DID find 37 cents when I flipped the carpet up looking for panels. Part of a cup of coffee!
Old 09-01-2011, 05:42 PM

Semi off topic, but semi on topic; any advice on taking out the sending unit? the 6 or so "bolts" holding mine on, are a phillips head (good call Toyota), and they're completely rusted to balls. If I emptied the tank, would I be able to drill them out? If i had an assistant constantly hitting it with water from a syringe so it wouldnt go everywhere? When I parked my 87 4runner, the fuel gauge worked past half tank, but not under half, so I'm going to (somehow) take it out, clean it with electrical contact cleaner, then plug into pigtail on truck (she's up on blocks and stripped), toss in a battery, ignition on, and have someone cycle the sending unit plunger and observe outcome on gauge. Local Toyota dealers say that the part is now obsolete, and I'm SOL.
Old 09-01-2011, 05:44 PM

*water from a syringe (so water wouldn't uncontrollably go everywhere) so that it would kinda keep the screw cool ish while it's being drilled, to prevent red hot bolt inside gas tank.

Or is this idea insane?
Old 09-01-2011, 10:03 PM

Well, make sure it's EMPTIED, FLUSHED, ETC., ....cuz 'vapor' ignites, not liquid.... (sorry, I'm sure you know that, lol.... Just thinking out loud, Dean, haha)

I wouldn't give up so easliy, Dean,....finding the part, that is, ....maybe a couple guys here in the states could getcha one? JDM715 has some pretty crazy selection of used parts, ..... and I guess it's worth a try, right? He has a thread on here for his used parts....but it's hard to find. He doesn't answer it much. However, if you PM him, he might, yeah? He's always answered my emails.... just got an AC/Heat Bezel for 84-89 from him in the mail the other day.

Far as the screws.... are they large enough to take a file to and then get a socket on? Or are they TOTALLY fubar? (By socket, I mean like 6-8MM of course, lol.) Otherwise, yeah, I guess you'd probably have to drill em out, yeah? If you've dropped the tank, already, why not just pressure wash it out, really well, first, to prevent ANY vapors from lingering?(or is the pump still in there and you don't wanna screw it up?) Maybe I'm misunderstanding, lol.
Old 09-02-2011, 03:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
To TheDean:
Be very careful, a full tank is less of a hazard than any other, because there is no room for vapors. If your tank is 1/2 full the other half is full of vapors. Just ask me I know, when I lived in Calgary I worked for City of Calgary Electric System (now Enmax). The digger truck that I was running developed a pin hole in one of the hydraulic lines and sprayed onto the muffler and she caught fire, I had 2 full tanks of gas aboard (200 gallons), she blew the tires of of the truck there were pieces of rubber landing all around us a 200 feet away, but the gas never caught.
I've drilled out the screws before, there should be enough screw sticking out of the tank to get ahold of with vice grips. An easy trick is to fill the tank full of water. I know water and gas don't mix, but if your concerned about not getting all of the water out after the job is done..just add some methyl hydrate to your first couple of tanks.
As far as finding the part, we have a place here in N.B. that brings in Southern Gas tanks, sending units and pickup assemlies, I used one off of a car that I had to do a little bending on but it worked, lasted for 7 years before the top rotted off of it. I recently bought one to fit my 86 pickup, I've got a 19 gallon tank, but from what I've found the 17 gallon in the 4Runner uses the same pickup assembly.
The guy that said the part is no longer available doesn't know what he is talking about. It's pricey but available. He was probably looking under section 77-51 for the fuel tank where it lists "Tube assembly Fuel Tank Suction - Not Applicable" that's not what you want! He should have been looking under section 22-11 Fuel Injection System where it lists:-
"Bracket Fuel Pump- 8/85-7/86 23206-35210 (list price $134.75 US)" or
"Bracket Fuel Pump- 8/86-7/88 23206-35211 (list price $134.41 US)"
Gasket for it is 77169-14010 list price is $3.92 US.
There is also 23206-35050 and 23206-35160, your 4Runner is a first gen. and these listings are from 84-89, if you go to http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/and plug in all of your options or even better your VIN you can find the exact part that your truck takes and then you can go to a dealer and find a price.

Last edited by Hadmatt54; 09-02-2011 at 07:54 AM.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:24 AM

Sorry guys, I've been bogged down at work.

Chefyota4x4, I'll totally PM JDM715! I plan on taking the pump/suction unit out, (that is if those rusty a$$ 10mm bolts dont give me problems.) but the screw heads pretty much are fubar. We have road salt up here, you're graced with good Cali weather I didn't exactly want to fill my tank with water (thank you HadMatt54 for methyl tip), but I suppose it's a step of the process. Wouldn't water rust out the inside of the tank? Or is it coated? One other major issue, if a bolt/screw does snap off in the tank and I have to drill through into the tank, is the shavings floating around in there after the fact, even if you rinsed it. maybe getting n your back and drilling upwards through the tank toward the sky? To minimize gravitational spread of shavings.

Hadmatt54, good g0d damn, that was a mouthful of information, I'll sort through it and see what I come up with! The Bracket Fuel Pump listings you listed , is that for the fuel pump bracket? Because the whole issue I have is with my sending unit, not the pump (yet). If I really turn up with no solid leads, would you at all be interested in assisting me with shipping me anything I need from that place you spoke of in NB? If not, I can understand why, but it'd be pretty cool if someone could help me out if they have sending units somewhat readily available in their area

Btw, I'm actually Jake, Dean was just a nickname from a while ago

Jake