86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Fuel pump keeps dying

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 08:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel pump keeps dying

Quick background - 92 reg cab 4x4 pickup w fresh 22RE. Just completed a frame swap and SAS. When I first got the truck back together the motor started right away with the first turn of the key. Started and warmed up the motor several times to adjust idle speed, timing, valves, etc... and all was fine. The first time I pulled the truck out of the shop to check everything over the fuel pump died after about 5 mins of driving (very slow just around parking lot). Went to the local parts shop and picked up a new Airteck fuel pump. Installed the pump and the truck started right up. Pulled the truck back into the shop and shut it off. 10 minutes later I went to start the truck and it took alot of cranking to get it to start. This has been the case over the last couple of days. Today, I went to double check valves and such. Again, truck took several seconds of cranking to start at cold. After warming the truck up I turned it off and tried to start again right away thinking I might be losing pressure in the system causing the hard start. Same thing, five to ten seconds of cranking. Started the truck, let it warm up, shut off, checked valves, etc... When I tried to start again it took much longer to start than before. Again, I shut it off and tried to start it right away - NOTHING. So I took a jumper wire and jumped out the fuel pump - ZERO, ZILCH, nada, pump dead! Doesn't make a sound, doesn't pump fuel, nothing. When I pulled the first pump I checked the inside of the tank - very clean inside. The PO had replaced the tank just before I bought the truck. Is there something possibly wrong that is causing the pump to fail, or is it bad timing and a crappy import part from Advance Auto? The first pump that failed would actually run, just not pump fuel - this one does nothing. It seems that this pump was bad out of the box due to the hard starting issue when it was first put in. Please help, need this truck back on the road.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:55 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Airteck fuel pump is probably your problem. Get a denso (OEM) and never look back.

There is a way to activate your fuel pump by jumping two connectors in the diagnosis box, but can't remember which two off the top of my head. Search here, there are multiple threads on the topic.

Here is the pump you want.

http://www.densoproducts.com/results...ctCategoryID=7
Old 08-01-2012, 09:01 AM

Thats what I was afraid of. I jumped the pump out at the diag box and get no fuel, no pump running sound. Have to order the denso from the rock I guess. Thanks
Old 08-01-2012, 09:11 AM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
Hold on.

Use a multimeter to check for 12v on the B+ terminal of the diagnostic connector. If your EFI relay is out (or if you blew a fuse or forgot to turn on the key, ....) jumping 0v to your FP connector isn't going to do anything.

While you're there, check for continuity to ground through the FP connector. If you get infinite resistance, it could be the pump, or you could have a open wiring connection. If you get zero resistance, you might have a short to ground. (you should get the resistance of the pump, which is only a few ohms, so it can be hard to distinguish from a short even with a good ohmmeter).

The pump is not very loud, so be sure you're doing your test someplace pretty quiet. I can hear mine in my garage with me standing at the diagnostic connector, but my pump is original and might be a little noisier. I doubt I could hear it out on the driveway.

It is possible that your new pump is bad, but I would check quite a few other places first. Particularly when the diagnostics are easy and pulling the pump is hard.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:17 AM

I'll check the resistance. I have power at B+. Just to make sure the pump wasn't pumping I also disconnected the fuel supply line and jumped out the pump - no fuel. No fuel came back from the filter either.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dont mean to go preschool but what did the tank lines fuel filter look like. Gas is junk these days. Mine did the same thing because my fuel system was completely cologged tank all the way to the fuel rails. Put rust converter in the tank new lines cleaned rails rebuilt injectors no more problems.

Last edited by dropzone; 08-01-2012 at 09:27 PM. Reason: language