86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Fuel Pump Bracket Repair

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 05:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Pump Bracket Repair

Long story short, I've had issues with my fuel pump, first time I had my truck towed home with a suspected bad, fuel pump, it was the wiring, PO had replaced the tank or at least been into it and the wires were poorly taped and one rotted off.

Easy fix, but I had already ordered a pump and just tossed it on the shelf in the garage; this time I had to be towed home, I wasn't sure if it was the pump or not, it would start but die, rough idle but if you hit the gas it would die. I got a CEL, pulled the codes and it was 51.

I ran all the checks, AFM was ok but the TPS tested bad (IDL, the TPS is at infinity for IDL, code 51), so that might explain it, but to be sure, I jumped the fuel with my trusty paper clip and couldn't get it to work, I finally banged the tank with a rubber mallet and the pump started whining and making a high pitch but the truck started and ran, took it around the block, everything was working ok, but I kept thinking that I already had a pump and it was still 50+ degrees outside and replacing the fuel pump in the cold garage in January didn't sound like fun so I decide to pull the tank.

I drained and pulled the tank but the pump line came apart in my hand and the brake lines where I pulled the tank down started to seep so, my guess it was as good a time as any with the better weather, so I'm in the middle of replacing the brake lines, but finding the right parts to fix the pump bracket was another story, first trip to the chain store netted nothing, except the guy telling me the fitting I was looking for was not metric. I went back a second time to get brake fluid and saw another employee who knows more about Toyota's than anyone else there, he found me a small older metric brake line that was 6" long and it had two different fittings, one of which worked, I had to drill it out to fit the larger line I had but it did bolt up to the flex line.

I removed what was left of the old line and then bent the new one to fit and then JB welded the top and a little around the fitting I made, just as insurance to make sure it bolts up, I wanted to weld it but wasn't sure if the thin walled line would just melt.

I'm going to finish the brakes and let the JB weld cure for a day or so, I'm doing both lines to the rear so it will take me a little time, working and doing repairs is not fun
Old 10-31-2011, 07:29 AM

I forgot to mention, that after I get it all together if the fuel piece I made works I'll post the part number to buy for the bracket fix.
Old 11-04-2011, 04:50 AM

ok, I'm back up and running, I did make a small error in the exact placement of the bracket and was off my 45 degrees, when I bolted the bracket back in to the tank, I had the fuel line running into the frame rail, I had to rebend the fuel line and apply some more JB weld to it, so far everything is bolted back up and running leak free.

I think it's running better now, my guess is that the old pump was either not producing enough psi or was inconsistant, but I seem to idle and repsond better now. I just need to replace the TPS and it should be 100%

On a side note my two new brake lines are in but I had to do the "loan a tool" for the brake line flare and broke the tool. I was having issues with it holding the line tight enough to make the flare and broke the block. But I have no leaks and the brake are solid again.
Old 11-04-2011, 05:38 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Cool, so I'm not the only one to do this (click link)
btw, if the metal line on the frame side is also rusted through NAPA has a part to repair it (in the link above)