Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Fuel Pump / Bracket / Line / Filter Problems!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 09:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Pump / Bracket / Line / Filter Problems!!!

What i thought was going to be a simple fix has turned into a huge headache.
My fuel pump went out about a week ago. So i go to the auto parts store and get a pump, strainer, and filter. Then i prepared to drop the tank. Two of the bolts for the shield broke off even after using penetrating spray. The high pressure disconnect fittings under the seat were both seized. When i even attempted to try and loosen them (gently) the fuel line broke at the top of the tank on the fuel pump bracket. so now the fuel pump bracket needs replaced. (which no one has) I found one at a yard that is in not so great of condition but isn't broken. When i went to remove my fuel pump bracket ALL of the screws holding it down (philips head mind you) were so rusted the heads just flaked off. I was able to remove the screws with vice grips while completely destroying them. So then i go to put together a fuel line between the pump and filter because mine is pretty rusted out. The factory nuts on the line are 14mm x 1.5 inverted flare (also which no one has) I also have not removed the fuel filter yet, but it looks like as soon as i try and remove it the same thing is going to happen.

Has anyone ever dealt with this before? if so where did you get the fuel pump bracket(sending unit) and did you have to replace all of the lines? did you have to get it from the dealer? and was it $$$$$$$? what lines did you use? I'd like to use flex line it seems that would be the easiest but i can't seem to find it in the metric size I need. Also the filter has flare fittings on it as well so i can't just put a barb in it and use rubber line (simplest solution)
Old 05-09-2007, 11:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just replaced mine - the fuel lines on the bracket corroded and started leaking fuel. I have a truck so I was able to remove the bed for easier access to the bracket. There are three fuel line connections on the bracket: pressure hose to the fuel rail, return line, and vent line. The pressure hose is a little larger and is connected to the fuel line via a flare type fitting. Mine was rusted pretty solid as well. Since I had the bed off, I needed pipe wrenches to get that fitting apart. The other two have clamps on rubber fuel line - easy to get off. My bolts holding the bracket on the fuel tank were corroded as well - drilled the heads off and was able to get the threaded portion off with pliers.

At any rate, to answer your question, the fuel tank bracket is a dealer only item. I ordered mine via 1sttoyotaparts.com. It is the parts department at Bob Bridge toyota in WA, and they offer a 25% discount on parts. I needed the bracket, gasket, and the 7 screws to attach the bracket to the tank. The price for the bracket was about $125.

You might want to call them and order the pressure fuel line with the flare fitting as well. I don't know what the cost is, but I know other people have ordered brake lines from the dealer and the cost is reasonable. Seems like the fuel line wouldn't be too bad as well.

Hope this helps...