Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Fuel problems? Rough

Old 05-02-2009, 09:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Fuel problems? Rough

New here. I have searched these forums plenty, but I can't seem to find the answer I'm looking for, or possibly just different factors.

I have a '92 22RE, I have recently noticed a decrease in gas mileage as well as loss of power past a certain throttle position. It is running so rich now it has some smoke coming out of the exhaust.

I have already replaced my mass air flow and the changed nothing. I have replaced my throttle position sensor, that helped a little because the other return spring did not function.

The main problem is, when I just start it up, it idles rough to begin with. When I give it a fair amount of throttle (neutral) it will choke and sputter and then race to the RPM's it should be. Once I let it idle for a minute or two, it's fine, rev's up no problem. Then, when I drive off, I can just barely put my foot on the gas and it will jump and have a lot of power. Now if I try to give it more gas, it seems to hesitate and has a lot less power. I'm stumped. I've though it could be the coolant temp sensor, cold start injector...help me shed some light on this! Thanks fellas.
Old 05-03-2009, 08:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my 86 used to do the same thing when it actually ran. I have had continuing fuel problems since i purchased it 5 years ago. I've rebuilt and bored it but all electronics are stock. it sat for 1 year before i bought it and it has sat without running on and off since then sometimes for to long. Now that i am settled in and have time to work on it agian and keep it up, it will not start at all. The problems i have had have all been with the fuel system. My guess is the tank, it has quite a bit of rust in it from sitting, is clogging my fuel system over and over again. I go through fuel filters like nothing. It never runs right, when it did. Always seemed to run rich, lots of smoke and you could smell the fuel. I have had to remove the injectors countless times and clean them, pretty soon i will try this again and see if it helps any. From my past experience, it will. My truck has shown the same symtoms that you are describing, im hoping mine is more due to the fuel systems plumbing and the rusted tank, and not electronics. I would focus on the fuel for sure. Just my .02.