Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

fuel line banjo bolt crush washer

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 06:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fuel line banjo bolt crush washer

ok, so this problem is stemming from my head gasket R&R (22re). i have everything else done but when i started the truck up i noticed i have a gas leak. i lost a copper crush washer for one of the fuel line banjo bolts and can't find it anywhere. so i have a few questions.

1. the location is in the picture. the red circle is marking the location where the line attaches. the green circle is the other end of the short fuel line and it goes into the fuel rail. can somone verify that this spot needs TWO crush washers? i don't have either.
2. what is that sensor? the guy at toyota asked me if it was the line going in to the cold start injector. i didn't know.
3. WHERE IN THE HELL CAN I FIND THESE WASHERS? i've looked everywhere, no one has them small enough. i'm guessing it's approximately 5/16" ID and 7/16" OD based on measuring the bolt (i can take the other end of the line off to measure the other end's banjo bolt(s) crush washer exactly if needed).

the sooner i get this done, the better, cuz i am stranded at my house until i get this done. thanks in advance.

Last edited by ayoung101; 10-08-2009 at 06:12 AM.
Old 10-08-2009, 06:23 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Yep that is the cold start injector and it does take two crush washers. To the best of my knowledge those crush washers are a non reuseable part. I am pretty sure Napa has them.
Old 10-08-2009, 06:25 AM

I am no 22r expert but I just did a head gasket R&R on a 3.0.

Yes, you need two washers for any banjo bolt fitting.

Yes, that is the cold start injector.

I can tell you that the only place I was able to find the right size banjo bolt washers for the fuel lines, (they are metric, I believe the ones on my 3.0 were 12 mm), was from the dealer. I tried three different auto parts store. No one had the correct size.

Hope this helps,

Invader
Old 10-08-2009, 07:19 AM

that's what i thought about needing 2 for any banjo bolt, but the only picture i found only had 1 washer in the picture.

i've been to 4 different auto parts stores and a custom brake line/fuel line place, none of them have anything that will work. awesome. the dealership will probably take a week for them to get it in. guess i have time to fix my diff leak now, haha!
Old 10-08-2009, 08:02 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I got some of the washers from a napa around here. They were not the exact right size, but they were close enough to keep them from leaking tho.
Old 10-08-2009, 01:58 PM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
The stock washers are aluminum, not copper (copper seems popular for brake lines). Others on this list have reported success with copper washers, but I'm not sure you can find the correct size.

I got mine at the dealership; they did have to order them but they were not expensive. I have not been able to find aluminum crush washers anywhere else. I have reused them on occasion, but since you don't have any you won't have to wrestle with that decision. (You might want to spring for two extras just in case you have to remove the fitting anytime in the next N years.)
Old 10-08-2009, 02:00 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Ya, the ones i bought were like $7 each or something, and were copper. I too bought extras, and it was a good thing, I dropped 2 and couldnt find them.
Old 10-08-2009, 02:05 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
lol, during my 22re rebuilt, I took all my copper washers on the fuel lines and rail, layed a peice of 1000 grit sand paper on my perfectly flat garage floor, and rubbed each side on it untill it was all new shiny copper showing no leaks at all

but yeah if you don't have any, check the local auto parts store; you can usually get an assorment for a couple bucks

Old 10-08-2009, 02:19 PM

Those banjo bolt washers are a very odd size. I had no luck finding anything to match at any local parts store. My local Toyota dealer had a box full of loose washers and we went through the whole thing. The guy was real helpful, but in the end we were going to have to special order and it was going to take over a week. I did like iamsuperbleeder and rubbed mine out on sandpaper and re-used them. No leaks yet.
Old 10-08-2009, 02:28 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yea 2 washer. Get em from the dealer? I usually get parts in a few days when i order them and i've order some crazy parts. they sell them i'm sure. don't quote me on other cars but i know that most all yotas i've seen have 2 washers on each end of fuel line bolt connects like that.
Old 10-09-2009, 01:32 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

i find that i also seem to drop the little parts also.

So I keep all those good things on hand I have the banjo bolts for the fuel filter and the cold start injector as well as the crush washers .

It is also a good idea to have the woodruff keys used on the power steering and the crank I forever drop that stuff.
Old 10-09-2009, 02:13 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Put all small parts in ziploc bags & you won't have a problem with losing them....
Old 10-09-2009, 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by Team420
Ya, the ones i bought were like $7 each or something, and were copper. I too bought extras, and it was a good thing, I dropped 2 and couldnt find them.
$7 each? holy crap! i bought the actual PROPER ones, the ones designed for this application, directly from a toyota dealership. $1 a piece! the only problem is they have to order them and they told me they wouldn't get here till at least monday. so i'm stranded all weekend again. . . .
Old 10-09-2009, 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by TNRabbit
Put all small parts in ziploc bags & you won't have a problem with losing them....
that's a great idea. . . . .if you don't drop them while pulling the bolt out like i did. they are somewhere in my engine bay cuz they didn't make it to the floor. i looked for probably 15 minutes but couldn't find them.
Old 10-09-2009, 04:52 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
Yup!

Looks like I had 2 on there when I started. searched through my pics last night. I guess I'm in trouble too.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 10-09-2009, 08:38 AM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder
... layed a peice of 1000 grit sand paper on my perfectly flat garage floor, and rubbed each side on it untill it was all new shiny copper showing
Lots of folks (including me) have successfully reused crush washers, but it's worth keeping in mind what they're supposed to do. When you install a new one you will feel it tighten up, and then you might have to put two or three more turns on it to reach torque. That's the crush washer, well, crushing. When you reuse a crush washer it has already been crushed (and "work hardened" in the process), so you won't have that same sealing effect.

You could polish an old washer until it was "optically flat," but it won't do you any good if the sealing surfaces on the fittings aren't exactly as flat. The crush washer is designed to conform to the less-than-perfectly-flat parts.
Old 10-09-2009, 08:42 AM

nah, you got plenty of time to get some cuz your engine is still in pieces. just order them from toyota at least a few days before you finish and you'll be fine. like i said, they were only $1. i wouldn't waste your time with auto parts stores and just get it from the dealership (i can't believe i actually just said those words). me on the other hand, my truck is stuck in the garage with nothing else to do on it and now i'm just waiting for the stupid washers. in the meantime, the wife is getting mad cuz her car is in the driveway and it's rained a TON lately and has even had a few frost days! haha, oops.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:52 AM

So I do a google search of CRUSH WASHER and come up with abunch of stuff (apparently an important part of an AR-15 rifle), but anyway, when I added the word TOYOTA, here's one of the results. Never heard of these guys and I didn't read to see how much shipping was but just thought I'd show you. Oh, yeah, what size are they??

http://www.slowboyracing.com/product...6&bestseller=Y
Old 10-09-2009, 11:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 92 TOY
So I do a google search of CRUSH WASHER and come up with abunch of stuff (apparently an important part of an AR-15 rifle), but anyway, when I added the word TOYOTA, here's one of the results. Never heard of these guys and I didn't read to see how much shipping was but just thought I'd show you. Oh, yeah, what size are they??

http://www.slowboyracing.com/product...6&bestseller=Y
LOL @ SBR stay away far far away! I know of that company very well since I have a project car.
Old 10-09-2009, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by BoostinChick
LOL @ SBR stay away far far away! I know of that company very well since I have a project car.
Realistically, I'd probably just NOT get it online anyway.

But seriously, how could these guys mess up a crush washer?

Quick Reply: fuel line banjo bolt crush washer