86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Fuel Leak-Might be Simple

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 06:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Leak-Might be Simple

So the other day I ran out of gas. I knew I was low, but didn't realize how low. I had been pulling my GF's truck around to get it started and then I parked my truck to drive hers around. I got back in mine and it took a while to kick over. I kind of figured this was related to my low gas situation, but luckily there is a gas station 3 blocks from my house. I figured I would limp it over there. Basically get it to the station and it dies at the only pump which is on the wrong side. No big deal, I just pushed it where it needs to go. Start putting some gas and I notice dripping coming from under the truck. It was real warm so I just figure it was water. Truck starts up after a couple chugs, spits and moans and then starts running fine. Guy next to me points to the ground by my truck. I go outside and sure enough what I thought was dripping water is now a steady flow of fuel. Uh-Oh!!!!!
I run the truck back to my house super fast, put it in the garage and put a 5 gallon gas can under the leak with a funnel. When the truck is off it is just a drip or 2 and then quickly became nothing. I assume at this point it isn't the tank but rather a fuel line that is doing the leaking.
I do some searching here, and get to feeling like this is going to suck. Going to have to drop the tank, fund lines, maybe a fuel pump bracket. Nothing to major, but at least a few hours of wrench time.
I go out and take a look through the rear wheel after taking the splash guard off and notice something very interesting. One of the the hard line to rubber line connections has no clamp on it and the rubber line is very wet and loose. I going to get a fuel injection clamp today and put it on to see if this is my issue, which seems logical.
What would cause the clamp to snap? Everything has some rust, and I wonder if the pressure from running empty and starting caused this to happen?
I'll post and update after I get the new clamp on, and I think I might put new clamps on the other lines preventively. Anyone know what size these lines are?
Old 01-30-2008, 08:30 AM

Location: Cincinnati, Ohio - Amelia is the exact place. There is no one else on this site from where I am. Seems like everyone is from Cali or Washington. I guess I need to move.
Well a couple things here, you prolly only get drips when its off because the lines arent under any pressure, secondly where at on the truck is it coming from. If it is coming from the back it could be from one of the lines that run along the passenger side frame rail, if it looks like its coming from the top of your gas tank you may need a new sending unit (about 155 from the dealership, and you have to get it because they are based of your VIN #), this is what happened to me. If it is more under the motor then you might want to look at fuel filter lines, check the conection to the fuel pressure regulator (located on the back of the fuel rail).

I would assume a steady flow would either be from a high pressure line or the sending unit, which requires either dropping the tank or taking the bed off.

Good luck.
Old 02-01-2008, 03:30 PM

Well my theory is correct. The line going to the fuel filter has a broken clamp and is leaking when I run the truck. The biggest problem right now is how to get a new clamp on the thing. It is so tight that I can't work very effectively. Wondering if it would be easier to loosen the bed and prop it up a bit, so I can come in from the top and have two hands to work with, rather then one.