Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Fuel Injectors Won't fit in Holder!

Old 08-06-2016, 11:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Injectors Won't fit in Holder!

Hey Everyone,

So I recently did my first HG job on my 95 3VZE 4Runner and put her all back together. While she had a rough start-up and ran continuously, power was poor and the accelerator wouldn't respond for about 2 seconds when the pedal was pressed down. White smoke (what I'm assuming was just radiator steam) bellowed. Upon inspection I noticed that that the fuel rail was leaking out the back on the passenger side. Now I fixed that. The problem I have currently is that the Fuel Injectors never fit flush down on the fuel holder and when the rails were torqued to spec, the spacers on the top of the injectors were crushed.

As you can see the injector doesn't fit flush with the holder.

The Injector tip won't fit any further in the hole no matter how hard I try to get it down more.

Because of the bad fitting, the spacer is being crushed and causing fuel to leak.Has anyone had this issue before and what did they do to remedy the problem? I had the injectors done by RC Engineering down in Torrence California and they haven't fit right sense. Seeing it's Saturday I can't get ahold of them. Thanks in advance for your help!!

Old 08-06-2016, 01:54 PM

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Can't remember how far the injector is supposed to sit in that bucket but a couple of things I can think of is to check the seal that goes inside the bucket which the injector slides into. Make sure you don't have 2 of them in there stacked on each other. IE: the old ones were never removed and the new ones inserted on top of them. In the picture I posted it shows the black seal towards the tip. It should be approx. 5mm thick. If that is to thick it will keep the injector from not going far enough into the bucket. The other thing would be to make sure the black spacers goes on the 4 studs that the fuel rail attachés to. spacer/fuel rail/spacer/nut.

Attached Thumbnails Fuel Injectors Won't fit in Holder!-win_20160806_155039.jpg  
Old 08-06-2016, 03:36 PM

Hey Andy A,

The spacers that go on the bolts are in place.

There is only one seal in the bucket and it's 5mm. But even with the seal removed (obviously I know it needs the seal, this is just for the sake of trying) the injector STILL doesn't fit in the bucket. It's as if the new caps they installed on the injectors are too thick themselves.

Old 08-06-2016, 03:41 PM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
The pintle caps you now have don't fit your spacer. You may have had the "small" pintle cap, and now you have the large.

In the picture below you an see a "small" cap, which did NOT fit my injectors. I had to go with the large cap.

Old 08-06-2016, 04:07 PM

Hmm.. it's interesting that the company I had sent my injectors to would replace the pintle caps with a different model. Why wouldn't they just use the same size? Does anyone know if there are different size buckets you can get that would fit the caps instead of replacing the caps?

Thanks gents.
Old 08-06-2016, 06:36 PM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
You're chasing your tail. Call the company that rehab'd your injectors and ask them (measure the ones you have first). Replacing the caps is trivial; they might just send you different ones.
Old 08-06-2016, 07:29 PM

Ya I understand that. I tried calling the company as soon as I discovered the problem. But seeing as it's Saturday they were unavailable. I just have grown a bit impatient as this jobs taken a lot longer than it was supposed too and thought maybe I could get my answer before the weekend is out by hitting up the forums!

Appreciate the advice. I'll let you guys know what ends up happening.
Old 08-06-2016, 10:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ryanespi
Ya I understand that. I tried calling the company as soon as I discovered the problem. But seeing as it's Saturday they were unavailable. I just have grown a bit impatient as this jobs taken a lot longer than it was supposed too and thought maybe I could get my answer before the weekend is out by hitting up the forums! Appreciate the advice. I'll let you guys know what ends up happening.
Inside the "bucket" there is a thick square cut o ring. When I pulled mine apart they wouldn't go back together correctly. Just like you are dealing with. I had to replace ALL the o rings on my injectors to get them to connect properly. The square cut o rings in the buckets can be very hard to get out. It may take a little careful work. It was less than 10$ to get the kits for all 6.

I suggest you pull it all apart and start over.

Let me know if you need more advise. I'm no pro , but IV been through these 3.0's a lot
Old 08-08-2016, 04:56 PM

Hey gents. So after tearing it a part I did my own modifications to the Pintle cap, holder (or grommet) and O-ring that sits over the cap and inside the holder.

I took a dremal tool and sanded out a bit of the grommet hole that the pintle cap goes in. After calling RC Engineering (the guys who revamped my injectors) they said that they didn't actually have a grommet that fit correctly for my 3vze. So the pintle caps they put on the injectors of course didn't fit. After modifying the opening and shaving a bit of the pintle cap and o-ring down I got the injectors to fit.

They now sit how they should in the intake. Thanks for the help guys. Sometimes you just gotta man handle these things yourself!