Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Fuel Injectors not firing! What would cause this?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2016, 08:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wiring diagram

I have some great wiring schematics that I can email you. I don't have enough posts to upload but I am willing to share. They are straight from the toyota its system so they are color coded and great. Just used them to fix a ignition issue with mine.
Old 08-02-2016, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by Flippz
I have some great wiring schematics that I can email you. I don't have enough posts to upload but I am willing to share. They are straight from the toyota its system so they are color coded and great. Just used them to fix a ignition issue with mine.
sounds great, frankie.paulk@hotmail.com
Old 08-02-2016, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by Charchee
You are always going to have rail pressure so long as your fuel pump is working and the test is not to see if the cold start injector is in good shape. It is to see if you are actually getting signal through your injector harness to the injectors. You see, it's the only injector that you can actually hold in your hand while it's doing it's thing. If it works or doesn't work, you are going to really narrow down your list of possible problems.
ok got around to testing it, unpluged the wiring harness from the cold start injector and tested voltage from it while turning over the engine. It gives me a bunch of jumping numbers, nothing steady like 12volts, but does read 0 when not turning over the engine., So Im guessing Im getting power to it. So then I removed the cold start from the intake and plugged it back in, and then cranked the engine over again. The cold start injector does not work, nothing comes out at all.

Old 08-02-2016, 09:08 AM

could i spray starting fluid in where the cold start injector goes in at? Also the fuel line connected to the cold start does have fuel and pressure.
Old 08-02-2016, 11:34 AM

UPDATE: I just went out there and ran jumper wires from the battery to the cold start injector and it did spray! So this tells me that I am not getting signal to my fuel injectors nor my cold start injector. What would cause this??
Old 08-02-2016, 12:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nuknuk
UPDATE: I just went out there and ran jumper wires from the battery to the cold start injector and it did spray! So this tells me that I am not getting signal to my fuel injectors nor my cold start injector. What would cause this??
I'm stuck on it being something crazy simple. Go over all your relays, fuses, all connections on the engine. Double check the plug that comes off the distributer. Look for proper connection and no corrosion on all of them. Put an ohm meter on the fuses to confirm they arnt blown. Make sure your timing is correct.

Does anyone know how ecm gets the info to fire the injectors. No cam or crank sensors? The ecm gets it from the distributor right?
Old 08-02-2016, 07:05 PM

I think it will be something crazy simple also. The only relays and fuses I know for the EFI are the two in the box under the hood, are their more? I will change them out with new ones just to cover my ass. I have checked the timing, it is correct.
Old 08-02-2016, 07:33 PM

I think it will be something crazy simple also. The only relays and fuses I know for the EFI are the two in the box under the hood, are their more? I will change them out with new ones just to cover my ass. I have checked the timing, it is correct.
No need to replace them if they are good. Yea, it's just the few under the hood.
Old 08-02-2016, 07:59 PM

ECM will stop feeding the negative signal pulses to the injectors if it's not getting feedback from the igniter. You should have positive signal to them all the time and it takes pulses of ground to close the circuit. I assume that this is the case for the cold start injector as well. You said jumper wires. Try running only a ground wire to the cold start injector and see if it sprays. You did say that you had a positive signal to the injector's with the key on, right?

Find some info on troubleshooting / testing the igniter. They are too expensive to just go and buy one to try but if you know anyone with a truck like yours, you might see if they will let you borrow theirs for a few minutes and see if it doesn't crank. I have a spare in my electrical box that I would send you but I think they changed just a little between my 89 3VZE and your 95. If you can confirm that mine is the same, I would be willing to send it to you to try. A wrecking yard may have one too. It's not much to look at and if they don't know what they cost, you might pick one up for $5 or they may let you take one just to test it out.
Old 08-02-2016, 08:14 PM

ECM will stop feeding the negative signal pulses to the injectors if it's not getting feedback from the igniter. You should have positive signal to them all the time and it takes pulses of ground to close the circuit. I assume that this is the case for the cold start injector as well. You said jumper wires. Try running only a ground wire to the cold start injector and see if it sprays. You did say that you had a positive signal to the injector's with the key on, right? Find some info on troubleshooting / testing the igniter. They are too expensive to just go and buy one to try but if you know anyone with a truck like yours, you might see if they will let you borrow theirs for a few minutes and see if it doesn't crank. I have a spare in my electrical box that I would send you but I think they changed just a little between my 89 3VZE and your 95. If you can confirm that mine is the same, I would be willing to send it to you to try. A wrecking yard may have one too. It's not much to look at and if they don't know what they cost, you might pick one up for $5 or they may let you take one just to test it out.
That's what I was looking for! Good info! I learned something. +1 for them being expensive! Like 400$ at Toyota. +1 for having an extra if you need it. Let us now!
Old 08-02-2016, 09:00 PM

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/n...89-95-a-10543/

I just did a search on igniter test. Looks like a lot of good info here. I'd read through it all but my truck is running fine so I'll leave that to you fellers.
Old 08-02-2016, 10:46 PM

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/n...89-95-a-10543/ I just did a search on igniter test. Looks like a lot of good info here. I'd read through it all but my truck is running fine so I'll leave that to you fellers.
Good info indeed. This is golden....^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old 08-05-2016, 11:40 AM

ok, I just was able to get back to testing this 4runner again and my distributor did fail a test, it failed the ohms test between G and NE, so hopefully this is it. Will replace distributor and go from there. Thanks so much for the link!!!
Old 08-09-2016, 02:04 PM

well ˟˟˟˟, new distributor didn't do the trick, and it tested out the same as my old one, so I guess it wasn't bad. Went ahead and did the rest of the tests and passed everything. I'm lost again!!! This 4runner was running great, it threw a knock sensor code and I changed it with one from the dealership and put it all back together, and haven't been able to start this thing yet.
Old 08-09-2016, 02:08 PM

well ˟˟˟˟, new distributor didn't do the trick, and it tested out the same as my old one, so I guess it wasn't bad. Went ahead and did the rest of the tests and passed everything. I'm lost again!!! This 4runner was running great, it threw a knock sensor code and I changed it with one from the dealership and put it all back together, and haven't been able to start this thing yet.
I didn't look to far into the thread. Are you able to test the icm? I know you said you are getting spark but i think it helps control fuel also. What State are you in? I have a spare icm you can try
Old 08-09-2016, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Trents3.slow
I didn't look to far into the thread. Are you able to test the icm? I know you said you are getting spark but i think it helps control fuel also. What State are you in? I have a spare icm you can try
ICM meaning ECU? I haven't tested that. I'm in NW Florida.

Old 08-09-2016, 05:42 PM

i literally just had an issue loosing fire. cylinder 3 and cylinder 6 would randomly not fire. that's why I had all the wiring diagrams after testing the g and ne ohms, the air gap and the igniter I was lost. just as a guess and try because no where in the manual does it show a control circuit in the ecu for the ignition firing. after $62.00 for an ecu this thing has never ran better.
Old 08-09-2016, 06:41 PM

ICM meaning ECU? I haven't tested that. I'm in NW Florida.
ignition control module. I'm in California.
Old 08-09-2016, 06:47 PM

ignition control module. I'm in California.
It's the little grey box next to the coil. Look on page 2 when we where talking about them. They are crazy expansive(why I was trying to get ur location to borrow my extra). I'm pretty sure they play a part in that circuit. I could be wrong

Icm and ecu talk to each other to coordinate injector pulses?
Old 08-09-2016, 08:50 PM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by scope103
Any codes? 14 will shut off the injectors (but it should reset so that you can re-start, but it's something to look at).
It's the little grey box next to the coil. ...
Icm and ecu talk to each other to coordinate injector pulses?
What you're describing is the Igniter. http://web.archive.org/web/201212070...10operatio.pdf The igniter triggers the spark with the IGT signal from the ECU, and then sends an IGF signal back to the ECU to confirm that the plugs fired. If the ECU doesn't get the IGF signal after 6 consecutive IGTs, it shuts off the injectors (to avoid filling hot cylinders and exhaust with gasoline that isn't being ignited), and throws code 14. But this is NOT your problem; the injectors will open as usual through 6 IGTs, so the engine will try to start then die. Not your circumstance. (Just in case you're not convinced, let me say that testing for IGF is not easy: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...gniter-287857/)

I will say that in reading through these posts it just does NOT sound like an injector problem. There are lots of things it could be, but the quick test is with starter fluid. If it won't start with starter fluid, the problem is not the failure of the injectors to open.

Quick Reply: Fuel Injectors not firing! What would cause this?