86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Fuel injector problem? tell me it will be ok

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 10:24 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Fuel injector problem? tell me it will be ok

So I went camping a few weeks ago to the desert and beat the crap out of my 86 4runner 22re 5spd. With 318,000 miles on it

On the way home I noticed that the truck was running horribly and limped home. I found that two of my injector connectors (#1,3) popped off, and one was just falling apart it will barely stay on. Had a little too much fun out there! Also just realized that the bolt on my drivers side motor mount popped off ... But that's another issue for another day.

The problem is that the injector on my #1 cylinder isn't firing at all from what I can tell. I changed my plugs, wires, cap and rotor and still no change. I know I need new connectors but I tested the old rotting ones and they still pass the light bulb test. I also checked the harness connections and it looks good. Old as hell, but good.

Is there a way to test the injector (did a search bro) itself or should I just yank them and have them cleaned by witchhunter or a similar place?

Everything on my truck is broken I'm getting a little weary. Please tell me it will be all right yotatech.
Old 03-28-2014, 11:04 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
throw enough time and parts at it and it will be ok...
Old 03-29-2014, 12:06 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

When one plays hard (to hard) one needs to fix what is broken.

Just how much can you afford to spend??

Just curious why you thought a tune up would fix a non working fuel injector ?/

I would guess the problem is in the connectors works when testing but not in service .

It can`t hurt to have them cleaned and flow tested but when that fails to fix your problem.
Old 03-29-2014, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
When one plays hard (to hard) one needs to fix what is broken.

Just how much can you afford to spend??

Just curious why you thought a tune up would fix a non working fuel injector ?/

I would guess the problem is in the connectors works when testing but not in service .

It can`t hurt to have them cleaned and flow tested but when that fails to fix your problem.

1 million dollars

Just kidding.

I didn't find the loose injectors until after the tune up. I'm a pretty sucky mechanic. At least I don't have to worry about those parts now!

Guess I learned my lesson in playing too hard.

So replace the connectors first and then if that fails get injectors cleaned?
Old 03-29-2014, 10:38 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I have seen bad injectors connectors cause misses. I just got a EV1 style from http://connectorsfast.net/shop/index...&product_id=50 and it seems to be a great connecotr. Its is on a project so it isnt running just yet but seems to be a great improvement over the factory style.

Here is how I test and see if a pulse is getting to the injector. https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...t-22re-270857/ Otherwise I would suspect the crimp that connect injecotrs #1 and #3 and the crimp that connect #2 and #4 together. The crimps in the harness is a poor design. I suggest removing the crimps and soldering them together instead.

Some other information as well https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f199...l#post51897320

You didnt get any trash in the injector screen did you? If you pull the injector, it has a little screen that could be full of debris. For what it cost to get injectors cleaned and rebuilt, I would go with Flamethrower injectors myself. They can be found on ebay and he is a vendor on this site.

These are 28 year old trucks and even one well cared for is going to have issues. Just have to go thru them a little at a time. I took an 86 Runner that was probably in worse shape then yours and have it pretty stable, and hasnt let me down yet. Working on a well cared for 86 pickup and it had more issues then you would think. Both of my runner builds below have alot of cheap fixes on the first page and first post on each build.

Last edited by Terrys87; 03-29-2014 at 10:57 AM.
Old 03-29-2014, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
I have seen bad injectors connectors cause misses. I just got a EV1 style from http://connectorsfast.net/shop/index...&product_id=50 and it seems to be a great connecotr. Its is on a project so it isnt running just yet but seems to be a great improvement over the factory style.

Here is how I test and see if a pulse is getting to the injector. https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...t-22re-270857/ Otherwise I would suspect the crimp that connect injecotrs #1 and #3 and the crimp that connect #2 and #4 together. The crimps in the harness is a poor design. I suggest removing the crimps and soldering them together instead.

Some other information as well https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f199...l#post51897320

You didnt get any trash in the injector screen did you? If you pull the injector, it has a little screen that could be full of debris. For what it cost to get injectors cleaned and rebuilt, I would go with Flamethrower injectors myself. They can be found on ebay and he is a vendor on this site.

These are 28 year old trucks and even one well cared for is going to have issues. Just have to go thru them a little at a time. I took an 86 Runner that was probably in worse shape then yours and have it pretty stable, and hasnt let me down yet. Working on a well cared for 86 pickup and it had more issues then you would think. Both of my runner builds below have alot of cheap fixes on the first page and first post on each build.

Thanks terry, a lot of good info there! I think I will get new injectors and connectors and see how it works.
Old 03-30-2014, 05:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For what its worth my repair manual indicated the injectors will have an OHM reading range to show they are good or not. Mine were all within the range. I just rebuilt my injectors with a 20 dollar kit bought on line. My filters were almost completely clogged with a solid, honey looking, material. Made a difference on my truck.
Old 03-30-2014, 07:32 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Here is the kit I get>> http://www.ebay.com/itm/270921195123...S:3160&vxp=mtr same as parts store and comes with screens.

Let us know what is keeping your injectors from firing if you dont mind. Thanks!!
Old 03-30-2014, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by brianvolt7
For what its worth my repair manual indicated the injectors will have an OHM reading range to show they are good or not. Mine were all within the range. I just rebuilt my injectors with a 20 dollar kit bought on line. My filters were almost completely clogged with a solid, honey looking, material. Made a difference on my truck.
Heck yeah guys thanks for the tip. I was debating getting new injectors or getting them professionally cleaned- the diy kit looks like a great option.

When I was camping I went through a bit of trail of super fine and deep dust. I kicked up a ton of dust but didn't get stuck, and we parked off the the side to camp for the night. Not even 10 minutes later a guy in a tundra came through and got completely stuck and dug in. I eventually pulled him out with a two strap but I powdered my entire truck with the crap. My truck inside and out is covered in micro dust

Maybe that's part of the problem clogging the injector?

Whatever the case is I will let you know.
Old 03-30-2014, 03:01 PM

Yah, its a little tricky. I used a small screw driver to pry out the old screen the new ones pushed in with some tapping from the handle of a large screw driver. if you get the kit that comes with the lower injector jacket use a C clamp to slowly press it onto the bottom. It takes about 5 minutes a piece.
Old 05-15-2014, 10:16 AM

is the $20 kit on Ebay all you need for 'rebuilt' injectors? Is this all that Witchunter and the like do? What is the difference between the 86-88 and 89+ injectors? I need to get the injectors on my 86 checked out. It runs ok, but it can't hurt, and may help with my weak starting issues.

Last edited by yota81; 05-15-2014 at 10:18 AM. Reason: asdf
Old 05-15-2014, 10:51 AM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
Originally Posted by yota81
... Is this all that Witchunter and the like do? ...
Hardly. They do have a web site if you are curious
Originally Posted by yota81
... What is the difference between the 86-88 and 89+ injectors? ...
The earlier injectors are low-resistance, so they are connected through a heat-sinked resistor on the side of the engine bay. http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/h22.pdf
Old 05-15-2014, 12:30 PM

Fixed

Forgot I fixed this a while back...

turned out that the injector connector that was falling off due to the plastic getting old and crumbly still was getting power but was not making a good connection. the little pins we pushed back beyond where they should have been due to the ruined housing of the connector, so even when it looked snugly connected it was still not. I got a new connector from autozone for $8 and it seems to be running fine. Still runs a little rough but all cylinders are firing.
Old 05-16-2014, 06:08 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Good to hear you are getting it closer to what it should be.